New vintage pedal day. 1988 ProCo Rat. Clips/vid.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New vintage pedal day. 1988 ProCo Rat. Clips/vid.

ME: Charvel San Dimas
    MB: Charvel 3b
    Rig: Marshall JVM210H (modded)

New vintage pedal day. 1988 ProCo Rat. Clips/vid.

No, I haven't become one of those insufferably repetitive stoner/doom fanbois. I'm not using it for its distortion.

Quick background - I became very bored of the tubescreamer sound a couple of years back and delved into some alternatives. You can boutique yourself all the way to the very top of the pile and it's still the same circuit, with minor tweaks and cork-sniffery components that make zero difference. It's still that mid-bumping, bass-cutting sound that makes everything really easy to play and tightens everything up for fast playing. Great.

But boy is it done do death. Makes everything sound generic with icky modern attack. It also makes some amps just sound anaemic as hell.

I've modded both my Ts-type boosts with bass-bump switches, like so;

And sure it works, but not when using it as a boost. You still get that upper mid attack and all that, but now with lots of boomy low end. Great for if you're using it for an actual "overdrive" (into a clean channel) to get a fuller sound, but doesn't really work when pumping the front of a high-gain amp.

Long story short, Mr S has had a 1988 Rat for a few years now and I borrow it from time to time. It always makes me cry at how good an overdrive it is, especially for Marshall circuits. So I had to hunt down my own.

Why the "vintage" one I hear you ask? Well, contrary to the marketing, the 80's/90's Rats are different to the modern Chinese ones. I say this as a vehement anti-cork-sniffer. I've had a Chinese one, had them both apart side-by-side on my workbench when borrowing Mr S's, and the circuit is like 90% the same but not quite as identical as people think. In addition, the pot tapers are vastly different.

This means that the newer one just cannot do subtle overdrive. It's either so quiet it sounds like it's off, or it's full on doom mode. Shitty pots/knobs/parts, and just overall the tone is horrible in comparison. It's buzzy, fizzy and harsh.

Anyway, enough of a history lesson, here's the pedal;

Gratuitous gut shot;

The pot codes date back to 1987, but they didn't start making this particular model (Rat2) until '88, so it's a very early one.

Here's a quick comparison against a Boss SD-1 (which, for the record, I do like, and prefer over the OD808 circuit as it's a little flatter, with asymmetrical clipping, so feels a little more "amp-like" and not as smoothed-out)

Just a crude noodling so excuse sloppy playing. Going through my JVM and into a Marshall MF280 cab with V30's. SM57, naturally.

The first tone you hear is both pedals bypassed, Charvel San Dimas straight into the JVM.

Perhaps tricky to tell from audio alone, but feel-wise the Rat is SO much more punchy in the low mids, has a fuller sound overall. A little more strident in the highs perhaps but that can be tweaked with the filter knob. The punch and grind is particularly apparent on big chords where you can hear every note. It's perhaps more noticeable when going from the Rat back to the SD-1, the bottom end just falls out of the tone and it gets very flat all of a sudden.

If you've got a Marshally amp get a Rat
    www.numbskullaudio.com
    Recording. Mixing. Mastering. Editing. Re-Amping.

www.stivesguitarservices.com
    Set-ups. Maintenance. Restoration. Repairs.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

Yeah that adds a bit more punch compared to the SD-1. I built a Landgraff M'od clone (modded rat) and my settings are pretty much identical. It's glorious through any of the marshal types on my afx2. Also sounds good as a drive through the Fender reverb model, especially with singecoil neck pups. Has a SRV type tone to it.

ME: Hagstroms/Schecters
    MB: Schecter Diamond J5+
    Rig: GK 250ML + 2 IR Loaders

Honestly explains why I couldn't get a decent boost from my Rat. It's an '05 model I think? Got it solely so I could do the Nuno boost dealio, but I could never balance the output right. Sounds monstrous here.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: LTD H7, KM6, 540SLTD
    MB: SR305E
    Rig: Helix

The guys in IronChrist used to swear by the Rat pedal, but I dug my SD-1 more. Now, listening side-by-side, I may have to grab one of the vintage Rats, if for nothing else than a little variety.
    Tone Chasers Anonymous ™ - I’m not just a member, I’m the President.
    Don’t expect much, it’s not like I’m a rocket surgeon.

ME: EBMM(s)
    MA: Taylor 214
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: AFX3 / KPA / MKV

I'm a simple man. I hear skid row riffs, I click the Thanks button.

ME: Ibanez RG 550
    MB: Sandberg Ken Taylor 5
    Rig: Diezel Herbert

Quote Originally Posted by Not Mr. Test View Post
    I'm a simple man. I hear skid row riffs, I click the Thanks button.

Also, Matt's research is gonna cost me dear, because I've always wanted a RAT for the Nuno thing specifically.

ME: EBMM(s)
    MA: Taylor 214
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: AFX3 / KPA / MKV

Same here, actually. Though I don't want a RAT, it's that this quote here:

repetitive stoner/doom fanbois.
    - Lead me to think of beard's awesome stoner/doom tone
    -- Which lead me into looking at Verellen stuff last night
    --- Which lead me to adding a couple of Skyhammer/Meatsmokes to my watch list.

It's inevitable.

ME: Charvel San Dimas
    MB: Charvel 3b
    Rig: Marshall JVM210H (modded)

Don't get me wrong, I love a good fuzzy doom-laden riff, who doesn't. And if you're gonna do that shit this is THE pedal for it. It's better than 99% of boutique distortions for the crusty filth, but it does it in a way that is extremely amp-like, i.e. it doesn't sound like 400 daisy-chained transistors screaming out with electronic buzz.

But as an overdrive... fucking hell, it's amazing. For certain amps (say, a Recto) I don't think it would work as well as the typical bass-cutting mid-boosts. It would sound good, but I don't think it would be optimal. You're stacking thump on thump. But for amps that are quite flat in their EQ and very mid-centric (see; all Marshalls) it adds that recto-like thump without compromising anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhands View Post
    Honestly explains why I couldn't get a decent boost from my Rat. It's an '05 model I think? Got it solely so I could do the Nuno boost dealio, but I could never balance the output right. Sounds monstrous here.
    Yeah I'm pretty sure they started the mass-produced Chinese ones in '03. I bought one thinking I could do the overdrive thing. Hell I even changed the op-amp to the origianl LM308N (which, by the way, does FUCK ALL to the tone, despite what the myth is) but at the end of the day it just can't get mild enough overdrive. There's maybe like a 0.5mm sweet spot on the pot where it can do it? Which I found, but even then the actual tone of it was just gross. Stomped on the amp's tone quite a lot, which this vintage one doesn't somehow. Like, at all.