Not to be outdone, 2021 strikes back (Mesa/Gibson content). - Page 2
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Not to be outdone, 2021 strikes back (Mesa/Gibson content).

ME: EBMM(s)
    MA: Taylor 214
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: AFX3 / KPA / MKV

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    LOL, the fluff dude is a fucking idiot. It's not out of the question, but the actual situation is one of three things.
    I don't know Fluff from a whole in the wall, but he seems like a pretty genuine dude. It's not secret that I don't love Youtubers but I tend to really enjoy his videos because there's no bullshit. Here's the amp, here's what it sounds like, here's what I think about it, done deal. His riffs are cool, he likes 5150s and it doesn't seem like he's trying to sell me anything.

I couldn't give a shit either way but he doesn't strike me as someone who'd make shit up for views.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

I don’t not believe it, but fuck. Regardless of what anyone thinks of the guitars (I think they’ve finally right the ship....maybe) I don’t like the idea of this. But Randy Smith has GOT to be fucking old by now.

ME: '03 Gibson LPC
    MA: Taylor 214ce
    MB: '89 Spector NS2
    Rig: Ceriatone AH50/Mesa 212

How old is Randall Smith now these days? He has to be in his 70s. Maybe it's some sort of succession plan if this is real and not a rumor.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -- Benjamin Franklin

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Quote Originally Posted by Not Mr. Test View Post
    I don't know Fluff from a whole in the wall, but he seems like a pretty genuine dude. It's not secret that I don't love Youtubers but I tend to really enjoy his videos because there's no bullshit. Here's the amp, here's what it sounds like, here's what I think about it, done deal. His riffs are cool, he likes 5150s and it doesn't seem like he's trying to sell me anything.

I couldn't give a shit either way but he doesn't strike me as someone who'd make shit up for views.
    It definitely does seem like something stupid to make up.

But it is incredibly difficult to believe everyone involved runs such an incredibly tight ship that the deal is pretty much done and news of it happening didn't leak anywhere.

I would bet that either it's more a thing related to regional distribution or someone in the Mesa camp floated something out and a bunch of people are counting chickens before they hatch and all that.

I dunno though, the "Very reliable source" part is a bit suspect. The whole telegraphing, "that's right, I'm VIP material". He would have been better off with a more casual, "so I guess Gibson is buying Mesa........" It's not exactly the most subtle way to brag.

ME: Ibanez
    Rig: Mesa JP-2C

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    How old is Randall Smith now these days? He has to be in his 70s. Maybe it's some sort of succession plan if this is real and not a rumor.
    This is my thought too. Like when George Lucas sold Star Wars.

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    This is my thought too. Like when George Lucas sold Star Wars.
    I seriously doubt that. There's a pretty big difference between entrusting your creative legacy to a brand with a solid track record that has the resources and skills to do it justice and entrusting your creative legacy to a brand that doesn't even have the resources and skills to do its own legacy justice currently helmed by transitional leadership mainly focused on saving itself at the moment.

The people calling the shots at "Gibson" right now make all their decisions based on a fiduciary duty to their shareholders and their board and an obligation to be as profitable as possible. Most people concerned about the investment they made in Gibson want to see Gibson divest from all the excess shit dragging them down, not get into even more shit. It's a public firm. "Gibson" isn't helmed by someone who has latitude to do whatever they want.

There's probably some tiny kernel of truth somewhere along the way. But Gibson buying out Mesa? Come on. You can't just go and grab Mesa off the shelf. When Disney bought Star Wars it took fucking years and years of paperwork. You can't just neatly buy Mesa in its entirity. There would have to be separate paperwork drawn up for the facilities, and the ownership of the designs, and decisions would have to be made relating to their relationship with distributors and retailers, etc. etc. etc.

It would be a massive undertaking. Brands like Celestion the supply Mesa with parts might not want to deal with Gibson the same way they have been dealing with Mesa. Distributors would want to rethink how they deal with them, the Gibson group is huge already, but if they controlled even more market share, there would be a lot of paperwork with distrubtors and retailers to get better terms for them, because now if they don't like the terms and walk, they take even more shit with them.

It wouldn't be an issue of just signing on the dotted line and being done with it. All loose ends neatly tied up.

Rig: 6505MH

Whatever it is, if it is true, do not like. At all.

ME: EBMM JP 13
    MA: Yamaha Classical Guitar
    Rig: Mark V w/ 2x12 V-30 Cab

*SIGH*

Please don't ruin the only Amp company worth being around since Mike Soldano retired.
    If anyone has any prayer requests, need to talk, or have questions about the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
    Feel free to message me.

God Bless, Venator

Instagram: hrouthe

Fractal Audio Systems  Shred Training  Angel Vivaldi
Bowes Guitarworks  NumbSkull Audio Production

VigLink badge