got a mark V - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: got a mark V

ME: CS USA Soloist 7
    MA: Ovation Elite Standard
    Rig: Mesa Triple Rec

Hey, you own a Pre-Gibson Mark V. Its value just went up!

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ibanez
    Rig: Mesa JP-2C

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Master 1 o'clock
    Holy shit!! Your neighbors must hate you.

ME: EBMM(s)
    MA: Taylor 214
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: AFX3 / KPA / MKV

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Remember the Mark has a master on each channel and then a global output knob as well. I run all of my masters around there too and just control the overall volume w/the Output control.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Yeah, there's the channel master, and the master output. Within limits the channel master balances output between channels (Mk IV it doesn't seem to vary the gain structure/character but other amps and other models on the V - Ch 2 Edge for example - definitely break up faster/more heavily as the channel master comes up) while the output controls the overall volume.

The other thing I've found is if you have the FX switch not-hard-bypassed (to allow the use of FX and solo boost) if you run the FX send control a bit below unity (I've got it at about 11 o'clock) it definitely cuts the output as well with, near as I can tell, no negative effects elsewhere. This was huge for me getting it dialed in for home use.

For perspective, that clip of me playing a Timmons intro while dialing in mic positions, I only needed to raise my voice a little to talk over that. The MArk V is a very apartment-friendly amp, in my experience.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

ME: KxK customs
    Rig: Verellen Amps

so, i plugged it in. daaaamn. what a great sounding amp. i might not get rid of it after all.

unless one of you wants to give me 2500 bucks for it. then we'll do it. but for now, it's my living room amp hahaha.

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Squidbeard View Post
    so, i plugged it in. daaaamn. what a great sounding amp. i might not get rid of it after all.

unless one of you wants to give me 2500 bucks for it. then we'll do it. but for now, it's my living room amp hahaha.
    Told you.

Chris and I checked and we actually use fairly similar settings for Ch 3/MkIV. He uses a bit more gain and a lot less treble, but that's about it.

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    Rig: Mesa/Fractal

ME: Ibanez
    Rig: Mesa JP-2C

Quote Originally Posted by Not Mr. Test View Post
    Remember the Mark has a master on each channel and then a global output knob as well. I run all of my masters around there too and just control the overall volume w/the Output control.
    Shows you how often I've played the full 90w Mark V! That's the same setup as the 3 channel rectifiers. I've found on those amps, I get better tone to run the preamp master lower and the global output higher. More headroom from the power tubes, better bass response, etc.