Seeking opinions Messa California Tweed - will it chug??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeking opinions Messa California Tweed - will it chug??

Seeking opinions Messa California Tweed - will it chug??

Looking for some general opinions / assumptions regarding the use of a Messa California Tweed amp for heavy music. I purchased the amp a few years back b/c I like the tweed tubes for jazz. I'm moving into a heavier territory and trying to sort out if I should keep it or trade it for something with a high gain channel.

-I'm into more experimental slow heavy music; Sleep / OM / Pharaoh Overload - more stoner/doomy rock with loads of explosive fuzz
    -I'm not looking to gig - this is home use / recording use only. I live in a house and have a studio so I can handle loud but don't want my ears to bleed when I practice

I am fully aware the gear Sleep / OM use and understand they pushing their tube amps to obtain their sound.
    I am fully aware I WILL need pedals - I'm totally ok with that and already have some good distortion, fuzz gain stuff
    So why don't you just f**kin try it yourself then? Two reasons - I would like to get opinions from people who are knowledge about gear and can voice a knowledgeable opinion. 2nd - my guitars are jazz guitars so I'm not really able to. So by a f**kin metal guitar - ok fine I just bought one with high gain pickups, its in the mail - relax Karen.

At the end of the day I'm simply looking for input will it be good 'enough' to chug(ish) and manage the blown out fuzz tones that I'm chasing or will it be too much of a struggle?

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

Is it the head or the combo? At the end of the day you're not going to get the bass response from the power section, which could be a problem. But it does take pedals very well, so something like a MXR 5150 might suit the need well, if you can couple it with a closed back 2x12 or 4x12. I've run dirt pedals into one and it worked great, but I'm not sure it's something I'd call "heavy". It's worth a shot though, before completely switching gears and spending a ton more money.

Thanks - this one is the combo with the stock 12" Jensen Blackbird (ALNICO). While being an absolutely stunning amp, nothing about the look and feel is heavy... as a side note I'm in a large metro area and could probably trade this for a Marshall (like a JVM410C or similar).

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

I'd say experiment with fuzz pedals before swapping amps, with the understanding that any combo is not going to be as big and scooped as a 4x12.

I don't listen to modern doom bands, but I've always thought of the classic fuzz tone as more pedal/preamp driven distortion, rather than the type of 'clean' saturation that comes from the power amp, to the point where the gnarliest fuzz would actually come with a transistor amp with very clean power.

ME: 1990-91 Ibanezes
    MA: Seagull S6
    MB: Ibanez SR500
    Rig: Laney IRT Studio

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonplayer View Post
    I'd say experiment with fuzz pedals before swapping amps, with the understanding that any combo is not going to be as big and scooped as a 4x12.

I don't listen to modern doom bands, but I've always thought of the classic fuzz tone as more pedal/preamp driven distortion, rather than the type of 'clean' saturation that comes from the power amp, to the point where the gnarliest fuzz would actually come with a transistor amp with very clean power.
    Agree with Chris - I don't know what gear Sleep use, but it definitely sounds like a fuzz pedal to me.
    "How can less be more? It's impossible. More is more."
    -Yngwie J. Malmsteen

ME: Ibanez
    Rig: Mesa JP-2C

When i think of the California Tweed, stoner/doom is maybe the last thing that comes to mind.

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

California Tweed is basically their take on a blackface style amp, right? I'd think that would take pedals pretty well, though it's not in and of itself a "heavy" amp.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    California Tweed is basically their take on a blackface style amp, right? I'd think that would take pedals pretty well, though it's not in and of itself a "heavy" amp.
    Their take on a Tweed. The Fillmore is their take on a Blackface.