Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Pedals: what's everyone looking for in 2021?

Tags
pedals
3K views 32 replies 19 participants last post by  79 
#1 ·
Me, I'm in the process of completely redoing my board. I had been using a really small board (the smallest Temple, Solo), but have now got a VoodooLab Dingbat Medium, to have more room. Currently, I've still got my MacGuffin dual overdrive (Klon, Bluesbreaker), Aquanet Chorus (CE-2 clone using NOS chips), and Phase 95. Also have a Function(FX) ClusterFuzz Micro. This month I've gotten a Wampler dB+ buffer/clean boost, an Ibanez Tube Screamer Mini, and the infamous Peterson Strobostomp HD.

Still need a delay and a reverb (or two), and possibly a new wah. Looking at the Crybaby Mini again, this time the 535q. I kinda want an octave effect too, ala MicroPOG, but want to give the new OC-5 a try, as it's supposedly really good.

#9 ·
I'd honestly like to see Strymon step up and make a multi-effect pedal with 2 loops and MIDI. Their own take on the G System / Boss MS3 / HX Effects to be used in 4CM. It probably won't happen anytime soon, but my preferred pedalboard is usually around something like that. The extra loop or two adds flexibility to add analog overdrives and delays, and that's just awesome.

#10 ·
Im trying to find a older memory man. I also want to find a real tape delay but that is more a dream at this point, not keen on spending that much on one effect but i have some searches saved on various sites and if one comes up for the right price i may pull the trigger (and have instant buyers remorse!)

#15 ·
Now that I've upped my online guitar community cred by getting a sweet vintage Rat, I'm in the process of building a clone of a ThorpyFX Fallout Cloud, which is basically a more flexible Big Muff.

I love fuzz, but not just straight-up into a clean amp. I like using it in conjunction with high gain (i.e. putting a fuzz pedal in the front of a high gain amp, but with low fuzz settings, almost like an overdrive) in order to get a thicker, more lo-fi tone for certain textures.

This is all well and good but most fuzzes (Big Muffs especially) can't do this because they're so bassy and scooped. It just makes your amp shit the bed. You have to run an EQ after, or before, or run an OD in line with it or something.

The Fallout Cloud has bass and treble controls on it, and it's altogether smoother and more amp-friendly than a classic fuzz. You can really dial it in for your set-up, and it enables you to get all kinds of fuzz tones, not just Big Muff types.

#16 ·
I'm perfectly content with my HX Stomp when it comes to recording, but lately I've been going down the pedal road more and more for just jamming. The cheapskate in me is taking a hard look at Donner and Behringer stuff right now - I love my Donner Gate - absolutely can't beat it for $30 and I love how it can go from hard gate to smooth with just a toggle flip. But if money were no object, I'd grab a Strymon Sunset in a heartbeat. And, possibly one or more of the pre-amp pedals I see on YT so often these days...

#19 ·
maybe a delay and reverb finally.:lol: I'd also love to pickup some other modulation type effect but I'm not sure which. it'll probably end up being a chorus or flanger. I just ordered a new head and cab but it won't be here til February. I have a pedalboard going but there's not much on it. Just a wah, SD-1, couple graphic EQs and a tuner.

#20 ·
I'm pretty much pedal'd out. :lol: I have a Strymon Timeline in the loop, a TS808 kit pedal I built mostly just to have something to take to blues jams, back when people went places, and some sort of TC Electronics looper I just bought from Chris that I haven't bothered to even take out of the box yet, just because a dedicated looper is fun. I also have a couple wahs that mostly gather dust, and a volume pedal that does the same, come to think of it.

2021 purchases will likely just be more mic preamps, if anything, but even then that's not really a desperate need - the BAE's fucking kill on electric guitars and direct bass, and I'm realy happy with the CAPIs on acoustic, and that's about all I routinely track. Maybe something a little more tailored to vocals, just to have in the rack, but that's an awfully wide range of what that could be.

#25 ·
Empress released an updated Compressor. Very tempted to replace the older Empress Comp on my bass pedalboard.

Pretty good with other pedals, right now.

#26 ·
I've got an Oceans 11 on order for reverb, but I want to get a second so I can have two reverb settings set up at once. Anyone know how the Neunaber Immerse is? I was going to get the Blue Sky, but I played the Big Sky yesterday for awhile, and I'm super underwhelmed with it.

#27 ·
I am thinking of Picking up the Walrus Slo or EQD Avalanche Run. Ive been into a lot of ambient/Doomy/post/blackgaze stuff and just cant get enough reverb or delay.
I may get another Fuzz. I like the Haunt but don't really use the gate on it. I basically use it to push like an od but with a fair bit of fuzz turned on as well.

I may build a bass board

#28 ·
I am thinking of Picking up the Walrus Slo or EQD Avalanche Run. Ive been into a lot of ambient/Doomy/post/blackgaze stuff and just cant get enough reverb or delay.
I may get another Fuzz. I like the Haunt but don't really use the gate on it. I basically use it to push like an od but with a fair bit of fuzz turned on as well.

I may build a bass board
Always try before buying if you can, but I'd recommend the Walrus Slo or Fathom over the EQD Avalanche Run. It was a decent pedal, but not very flexible and kinda meh for tones. Nothing bad, nothing great either.

#29 ·
Damn, this is the first year where I don't have a wish list of pedals. I bought a Talk Box a couple weeks ago as I love them and haven't had once since high school, that and the FreQout pedal are all I'm using these days because everything else is in the AxeFX.

If anything, I'm going to start collecting pedals for a Gilmour-inspired board, but that's icing on the cake stuff as I don't need it to do what I want to do this year.

#32 ·
If the HM-2 Waza is released I'm going to buy it. I've currently got a Throne Torcher but it's just not quite doing it for me.

Other than that, I'm probably going to downsize, or just build a couple of boards. I'll probably have a rehearsal board and a gig board.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.