Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Programmable loop switchers, function controllers

51K views 46 replies 22 participants last post by  7 Dying Trees 
#1 ·
I've been looking into these things a lot and thought can't find a good list of the available options, so let's make one. If you know of any available options post them and we'll get a nice list happening. Accounts of first hand experiences would be great.

I'm thinking it's best to divide into dedicated floor based and rack units. Discontinued units are cool, you never know what ebay will bring. This is for gadgets that allow amp functions to be switched, programmable effects loops etc. If you're not familiar with this stuff click on some links and you'll get the idea.

(mostly) Rack -

RJM Effect Gizmo
RJM Amp Gizmo / Mini Amp Gizmo
RJM RG-16

Axcess Electronics GRX4 - possibly no longer available, hopefully they'll get back on their feet

Voodoo Lab GCX

Voodoo Lab Control Switcher

Laney Babelswitch - discontinued and rare, 4 switching functions + 2 independent loops

Rocktron Patchmate Loop 8

Rocktron Patchmate - original not in production

Brunetti Matrix

Custom Audio Electronics - Bob Bradshaw's company

Mesa Boogie Midi Matrix

Sound Sculpture Switchblade

Sound Sculpture Footsim

Kittyhawk Midi Looper / Midi Switcher

Scholz Octopus - out of production

Rolls - I think they did one

Advance Tube Technology

Vermona Loop Jack

Skrydstrup

Mark L

Floor programmable -

Voodoo Lab Pedal Switcher

Voodoo Lab Commander - works with Pedal Switcher

Brunetti Vector

Musicom EFX MkII

Carl Martin Combinator - non midi

Carl Martin Octaswitch - non midi

Loopholic

The Gig Rig

Providence PEC-2 / PEC-4

Vintech

Floor non-programmable -

someone contribute, I haven't looked into these much

Providence RX

Midi foot controllers only -

cicognani - nice looking controllers, with a handy looking compact model

Voodoo Lab Ground Control Pro

Custom Audio Electronics

Roland FC-300

Roland GFC-50

Roland FC-200 and FC-100 - discontinued

Behringer FCB1010

Rocktron MidiMate / All Access

Kittyhawk

Nobels MF-2

Gordius

Advance Tube Technology

Skrydstrup very heavy duty and modular

Mark L

See less See more
#32 ·
They are pricey, looks like that volume controller is $100 off right now too :agreed:

I'm pimped out with the RJM gear now, an Effect Gizmo and Mini Amp Gizmo. Gradually wiring up the rack during lunch breaks but couldn't be happier so far. The Roland FC-200 is now set up to switch 13 functions in continuous controller mode - the lower 7 pedals control my guitar and bass channel switching and gate on/off with the upper 6 switching pedals and preamps. So in CC mode it's just like a standard pedalboard but smaller and phantom powered. Programming the CC functions was straightforward and quick enough.

Program mode is as expected, select program on FC-200, switch in whatever channel/loops are needed and hold down the 'write' button on each RJM unit. Lovely :)

So, happy happy joy joy with RJM. The trickiest bit is organising everything and making the cables. I wired up a breakout box for the mini amp gizmo that converts the 8 pin DIN to dual 5 pin DIN to suit the amps, with some matching cables. The rest is standard mono cables, just waiting on more 1/4" plugs to finish it off... the last thing will be tidying the power cables to the rack gear but that's not a priority.

#33 ·
I should add that the FC-200 accepts an additional 6 CC pedals via 1/4" jacks....

I've had the thing for probably 10 years and never really gotten into that side of things. It was just controlling program changes on a Triaxis then got put aside when I sold that. Really impressed with it now.

#34 · (Edited)
Great initiative with this collection!
Just to add: The older, out of production, Uptown products Flash and GreatDivide could do some interesting things..

I saw the Rockman Octupussy mentioned. While long since out of production and hard to get, it's got really simple electronics and ample space for being modded into a loop switcher.
Just add some FET transistors with we-defined input- and output impedances for controlling each jack as a mono send/return loop switcher.
- should I move this info to the electronics section? (IIRC the name)

Also, gordius.be isn't out at all. I know the owner (proof read his first manuals), busy times..
If you think the Gordius Giant's have overkill cababilities, wait for the next versions ;)
BTW, those have seen some good use by people on the loopers-delight.com list..

#35 ·
I've actually got a few questions on this subject. Ok, so what i've got at this point is a Lexicon MX200, DOD Overdrive pedal. What I will have extra is a rack EQ, Noise Gate (maybe pedal), and possibly a Sonic Maximizer. I would like to run the Lexicon, DOD and noise gate, and my channel switching through a MIDI footswitch, probably the Behringer. Could I get by with just buying an Amp Gizmo to do this? Also, there are two amps I am looking at, one of them does not have an Effects loop....would this even be possible without an effects loop?

#36 ·
The Amp Gizmo wouldn't do what you ask, as it does nothing but amp switching. You'd need something like the RG16 or Voodoo Labs GCX Audio Switcher.

In terms of not having loops, it'd be possible to run one without but, it depends how you want everything. If you are happy with modulation effects coming before preamp distortion then it'd be okay, but in my experience it usually doesn't sound best that way.

#37 ·
Yeah...I think the VHT is out of the question :( It is quite the badass amp minus the effects loop feature. So something like the Audio Switcher would work for that? Im hoping to find something that is rack mountable, and is in the $300 range as I will be spending most of my money on the actual head. I may just hold off and get my MIDI pwnage at a later date. I really need something to switch at least the lexicon though.

#40 ·
Does anyone know any other midi-floorboard than the MF-2, which has a "touch"-function? like: for specific short parts, you can step on a button, and as long as its pushed, its "active", and as soon as you release it jumps back to the previous preset. I know the MF-2 does that, but i wonder if there are any alternatives.

(tough, it propably doesnt get cheaper than the MF-2 is used..but its hard to find these days, and I would need additional expression pedals also)

#41 ·
Im currently using voodoo labs stuff. Its ok, works great, no problems at all. They have a very competetive price too. There are others that are better, but more money. I recomend vinyl wrapping the gcp so it stays new looking while you label and spill beer and whiskey or coffee on it... heaven forbid you stomp on it.

The audio switcher only has 8 loops, but all thier products integrate. Im running an audio switcher and pedal switcher off a gcx. You can link gcx's too for perhaps a guitar tech off stage or something. A single gcx controlls up to 4 switchers(32 loops) and an unlimited # of pedal switchers. All contacts on gcx's are gold nitrogen sealed 1/4". I use the gcx for amp A,B,Y, ing, channel changing and fx controlling. Then the pedal swtcher is controlled by the gcp and switches racked pedals.

The gcx runs in 3 modes, 10 preset mode and 4 preset mode, then either can be set as needed and banked in order of your set list. This way all fx needed for a song will be pulled under one roof. The gcx will also hold two expression/ volume pedals. With one button you can change amps, channel, rack and pedal fx.

The wiring will take time to get the way you want it on mre extensive systems. I put in a rjm line mixer and went parellel in stereo. This gave me equipment anxiety and took a lot of time from playing. In the end it improved my playing big by way of sound. Its a good system, durable, and easy to program and use. Priced competitively. I like mine, but have little to compare it to.

Sorry, I miss spoke myself, its the gcp that runs in 3 modes obviously. Also note worthy, is the built in buffer splitter input. Input thru for a split non buffered signal, guitar in for a split buffered signal.Im pushing a ton of cable, so I use the buffer (recomended) and use actives. It really does sound good, but its still no streight jacked guitar direct to amp. Thats how Id record personally.

@ petereanima; voodoo labs can be set up like that. They call it a momentary switch function. And it can use expression pedals or volumes with insert point cables. Both of those functions work like cc messages on voodoo lab stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.