Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Programmable loop switchers, function controllers

51K views 46 replies 22 participants last post by  7 Dying Trees 
#1 ·
I've been looking into these things a lot and thought can't find a good list of the available options, so let's make one. If you know of any available options post them and we'll get a nice list happening. Accounts of first hand experiences would be great.

I'm thinking it's best to divide into dedicated floor based and rack units. Discontinued units are cool, you never know what ebay will bring. This is for gadgets that allow amp functions to be switched, programmable effects loops etc. If you're not familiar with this stuff click on some links and you'll get the idea.

(mostly) Rack -

RJM Effect Gizmo
RJM Amp Gizmo / Mini Amp Gizmo
RJM RG-16

Axcess Electronics GRX4 - possibly no longer available, hopefully they'll get back on their feet

Voodoo Lab GCX

Voodoo Lab Control Switcher

Laney Babelswitch - discontinued and rare, 4 switching functions + 2 independent loops

Rocktron Patchmate Loop 8

Rocktron Patchmate - original not in production

Brunetti Matrix

Custom Audio Electronics - Bob Bradshaw's company

Mesa Boogie Midi Matrix

Sound Sculpture Switchblade

Sound Sculpture Footsim

Kittyhawk Midi Looper / Midi Switcher

Scholz Octopus - out of production

Rolls - I think they did one

Advance Tube Technology

Vermona Loop Jack

Skrydstrup

Mark L

Floor programmable -

Voodoo Lab Pedal Switcher

Voodoo Lab Commander - works with Pedal Switcher

Brunetti Vector

Musicom EFX MkII

Carl Martin Combinator - non midi

Carl Martin Octaswitch - non midi

Loopholic

The Gig Rig

Providence PEC-2 / PEC-4

Vintech

Floor non-programmable -

someone contribute, I haven't looked into these much

Providence RX

Midi foot controllers only -

cicognani - nice looking controllers, with a handy looking compact model

Voodoo Lab Ground Control Pro

Custom Audio Electronics

Roland FC-300

Roland GFC-50

Roland FC-200 and FC-100 - discontinued

Behringer FCB1010

Rocktron MidiMate / All Access

Kittyhawk

Nobels MF-2

Gordius

Advance Tube Technology

Skrydstrup very heavy duty and modular

Mark L

See less See more
#2 ·
Attn: Mods! I'm thinking it might be cool to expand this into a kind of Rig Control and Organization type thread including power supplies for pedals, pedal boards and stuff like that. What think ye? Change of thread title?

place holders for now...

Power supplies

please contribute

Vinteck

Burkey Flatliner

Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2

Dunlop DC Brick / CAE Power System

The Gig Rig Generator

Mark L

Pedal boards

please contribute

Pedal Train

Trailer Trash

Cables and misc

please contribute

Lava Cable

Bayou Cables

Pedal snake

#3 ·
I own the RG16, and its a breeze to use. I've not used the buffer on it much, I initially had a problem cable which ended up causing massive problems with the buffer, and I since just haven't got round to trying it again (everything is up at the rehearsal room, so going for a reason other than band rehearsal and recording is a bit annoying).

All you do it set it to the channel you want, program your MIDI controller to use that channel, and send out the program change you want, then you simply press the button on the controller, then press the buttons corresponding to which pedal(s)/loop(s) you want on, and hold the "Store" button. Nothing more to it, do this for every different patch you want to use, and you are sorted.

The sound quality is great, no issues at all with it, it seems really well made, I've had zero issues with it so far, and its been in my rack since February (done about 8 gigs since and never had so much as a blip of an issue with it). Plus, it looks cool too :D

#11 ·
I have an Advance Tube Technologies S720 midi switcher. Advance Tube Technology

It can be programmed to switch on/off, momentary switch or complementary switch, it can also switch two items at the same time or complimentary from each switch for a total of 10 items from 5 switches and can be daisy chained if you require more. It can also be partnered with the LS42 Midi Router/Switch which has 4 audio loopers and 2 more switchers.

My S720 with optional faceplate that can mount two units. I set the preset on the Digitech, it sends the midi signal to the S720 I select the channels I want on the Engl via the S720 and then press store, from that point whenever I choose that patch on the Digitech the S720 automatically switches the Engl

LS42 Advance Tube Technology

OP128 Midi Controller Advance Tube Technology

#20 ·
discontinued midi floor-boards:

NOBELS MF-1

and

A.R.T X-12
A.R.T X-15

i currently have the ART X-12, but have a Nobels on the way to me - as the Nobels can be phantom powered by my amp, and every cable/power supply i can save is worth a change. the X-12 does what you expect from a usual midi-floorboard, its built pretty solid, never had a problem with it. the X-15 is basically the "ultra" version of it, has 2 expression-pedals, and can be used in "effects"-mode, where - afaik - the "bank up/down" switches can be used to browse through the presets.

still in production:

ENGL Z11

other midi-router/looper/swticher coming to my mind:

Akai MB76 Router
Bradshaw / Rocktron RS12
Bradshaw / Rocktron RS16
Exef Combi-Switcher
Exef Audio-Switcher
Exef Looper PSE100
Ibanez EPP400 Router
Masotti Loop Rail Router
Nobels MS4 Switcher
Nobels MS8 Switcher
Rolls RFX looper/switcher
Rolls Patchwork
T-Rex Mac1

will provide links later.

#28 ·
It might be a good idea to break up the list into three main categories for devices that are loop switchers, amp controllers, and both. Then maybe also include an "other" category for floor or rack units that have a switchable loop and/or relay(s) for control switching such as the BOSS GT-8 and GT-10, the Behringer FCB1010 and the TC G-System, for example.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.