NAD & NAGD, seriously like christmas this week
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NAD & NAGD, seriously like christmas this week

ME: Caparisons
    MA: Takamine PTU220 Custom
    MB: Ibanez ATK300
    Rig: Bogner Ecstasy 101A/B

NAD & NAGD, seriously like christmas this week

Finally after almost two weeks of travelling my Bogner Ecstasy arrived and it is glorious. As a nice surprise the Amp Gizmo I bought off that magnificent bastard Cameron arrived today too so it's all coming up Milhouse! What's annoying though is that for the Amp Gizmo to get to Australia from Arizona took less time than the amp to come from the other side of the country to here. Whoever owned this before me loved this amp. A quartet of new Mullard EL34s and a quintet of Mullard 12AX7's that sound glorious. Unfortunately one or two of them are microphonic so I'll have to replace them and there is some rumble in the shell which I'll have to find and deaden. I was kind of afraid of getting a tone on this amp because of all the reviews I'd heard of it saying there are too many options. The moment I turned it on my head was exploding wondering what the fuck those people are on about?!

The clean channel is just pure win. Within about 3 seconds of plugging up the ESP Custom it was singing. The thing is so responsive it's insane. I turned the gain up just enough that when I hit the strings hard it clips softly, when I play with regular attack it lightly compresses and when I soften my touch it is pure dynamics. I melted at just how good it sounded with the PAF style pickup. The pre eq switch works wonders in getting the right amount of oomph from it. Hitting the gain boost allows the notes to open up hard and punch you in the gut. Not something I normally associate with a clean channel.

Switching over to channel two, the blue channel, I had instantly found my rhythm tone. Turning the gain up to about 70%, turning the boost on, leaving the excursion at M and turning the volume up a bit brought a monster tone up that just brought a stupid smile to my face. The channel assignable cabs is a beautiful thing and allowed me to A/B two different cabs (the Recto cab and the Framus cab) and find which worked best. Recto won this one. I flicked the plexi mode on for some fun and it really does become a plexi. Right down to having to crank it to get that classic crunch. Will be awesome once I throw an OD in the front to see how it pushes.

On channel 3, the red one, I used the second presence/excursion control to dial up some tight metal mayhem. Throwing the excursion control to the T setting removed all the low end rumble and brought the clarity. A little less presence was needed and this channel is awesome for single note runs or riffing hard. The EL34's in this thing are marvellous.

There's many switches and options on this that I probably won't use like the line outs and Attenuator loop on speaker 2's output, but the ability to down the amp to about 7w by switching it to triode, half power, class A is pretty neat.

Officially this is now my number 1 amp and will be replacing my Triaxis/2:90 for my live and band usage. Now to build a road case with rack space for it to make it easier to trek around.

"I'm afraid of new guitars. They're too shiny, I can't play them or take them anywhere. They might get damaged!"

Studio6 Photography

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Suhr, Warmoth, rg550
    Rig: Mark V:25 & Mark II

Nice! I've always wanted to try a Bogner. They seem like they'd be awesome amps.

This has just added to my GAS for an Uberschall now. This amp is 20 years old almost and still sounds amazing. Plus being one of the few pre 98 models with all factory mods and stock 240v makes it even more awesome.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: PRS
    MB: VM Jazz
    Rig: JCM800

Congratulations man. Gear that makes you smile is usually a great thing haha. Also EL34's for the win.

But how does casing it make it easier to move?!

Quote Originally Posted by budda View Post
    Congratulations man. Gear that makes you smile is usually a great thing haha. Also EL34's for the win.

But how does casing it make it easier to move?!
    Because I've also gotta cart a TC G System, the Amp Gizmo, the OD808 and Bad Monkey in the loops of the G System, a Decimator, my wireless unit and one or two extra pedals. So having it all in a case with the rack unit attached means all I have to do is connect the speaker cable and turn on my wireless pack and away I go.

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

Wirelessly posted ()

I love Bogners, awesome sounding amps. I don't know how something can sound both aggressive and smooth at the same time, but that's their sound
    Noodles

So live for today,
    Tomorrow never comes.
    Die young, die young,
    Can't you see the writing in the air?
    Die young, gonna die young,
    Someone stopped the fair.

Finally got round to setting up the shelving in my area and actually getting my gear looking less cluttered and awful.

It's a pretty site. Still gotta find a space for the combos and a few other things but it's a start. The Bogner looks perfect amongst it.

ME: Suhr M5
    MB: Squire Jazz
    Rig: Mesa Mk V + Axe FX II

Didn't know you could get std's with the metal grill front. Looks amazing