The horrible 80s/90s gear thread. - Page 18
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: The horrible 80s/90s gear thread.

ME: Charvel San Dimas
    MB: Charvel 3b
    Rig: Marshall JVM210H (modded)

Quote Originally Posted by Lozek View Post
    This was the second head I owned (My first was a Hiwatt because they were cheap as hell back then and no-one rated them). I'd forgotten what this even was until one came up on FB marketplace, I bought it because it was cheap and looked a bit like a Mesa Mk, the distortion was buzzy and I could only afford a Soundtank pedal, so no idea if it could ever have been made to sound good.
    Ha, I saw that for sale ad and thought it would be a potentially cool novelty amp to have!
    www.numbskullaudio.com
    Recording. Mixing. Mastering. Editing. Re-Amping.

www.stivesguitarservices.com
    Set-ups. Maintenance. Restoration. Repairs.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Fender Telecasters
    MA: Emerald X20 Artisan
    MB: STR LS-648
    Rig: Mk IVa / Fractal AX8

Quote Originally Posted by Lozek View Post
    This was the second head I owned (My first was a Hiwatt because they were cheap as hell back then and no-one rated them). I'd forgotten what this even was until one came up on FB marketplace, I bought it because it was cheap and looked a bit like a Mesa Mk, the distortion was buzzy and I could only afford a Soundtank pedal, so no idea if it could ever have been made to sound good.
    That's pretty cool with the loop on the front It still drives me nuts that the reverb knob on the MK IV is on the f'ing back of the amp!
    "Oh, those jazz guys are just making that stuff up!" - Homer J. Simpson

ME: ESP MI Custom
    MB: Fender Jazz custom
    Rig: Kemper

Quote Originally Posted by Mattayus View Post
    Ha, I saw that for sale ad and thought it would be a potentially cool novelty amp to have!
    It could be, I never got it to sound good. But the I also never got my very early 90's 2 channel Recto to sound good either, because that knowledge was a closely guarded secret back then.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ibanez RGIXL7-ABL
    MB: Ibanez SR505
    Rig: Fractal Audio AX8

Anything by Danelectro. I hate everything they make with a passion. The first amp I had was the Danelectro Dirty Thirty 10 watt amp. It could do cleans the day I got it, but was ratted out by the very next day and could never do a clear clean tone ever again. It's distortion sucked ass too.

I also had one of those red Danelectro distortion pedals. I forget what it was called and it didn't sound that bad, but the pedal was super flimsy with a piece-of-shit button. Doing a search for a red Danelectro distortion pedal keeps showing the Fab Tone, but that supposedly came out in 2005, which was when I had already moved to Japan, so it's definitely not that one. The Pastrami Overdrive looks like it might be the one I had...

Why did I buy them? They were cheap, I didn't have much money at all, and I didn't know enough to know they were shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Naren View Post
    Anything by Danelectro. I hate everything they make with a passion. The first amp I had was the Danelectro Dirty Thirty 10 watt amp. It could do cleans the day I got it, but was ratted out by the very next day and could never do a clear clean tone ever again. It's distortion sucked ass too.

I also had one of those red Danelectro distortion pedals. I forget what it was called and it didn't sound that bad, but the pedal was super flimsy with a piece-of-shit button. Doing a search for a red Danelectro distortion pedal keeps showing the Fab Tone, but that supposedly came out in 2005, which was when I had already moved to Japan, so it's definitely not that one. The Pastrami Overdrive looks like it might be the one I had...

Why did I buy them? They were cheap, I didn't have much money at all, and I didn't know enough to know they were shit.
    Oh man, those goofy retro pedals that were named after fucking food.
    Argbadh - RHLC©

ME: Ibanez RGIXL7-ABL
    MB: Ibanez SR505
    Rig: Fractal Audio AX8

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Oh man, those goofy retro pedals that were named after fucking food.
    I never got it either since the food had nothing to do with the effect, none of the pedals looked like food or anything remotely related. Sure, they picked tasty foods like Tuna Melt Tremolo, French Toast Octave Distortion, Chicken Salad Vibrato, and so on. I think I paid $15 for the Danelectro distortion pedal, which was by far the cheapest available (at least, that I saw at the time). I think the Dirty Thirty 10 watt amp was about $50. Maybe $60. But I think the next cheapest amp in that store was $140 or so (and it was a 15 watt amp). I eventually just gave that amp away for free. I think I threw the pedal away without even bothering to give it to anyone.

I had a few other pedals early on that I got for cheap, but they weren't bad. Such as the Boss Chorus pedal (the shop owner gave it to me as a bonus when I bought the amp), the DOD Flanger pedal, and the Boss DS-1 (which I bought to replace that shitty Danelectro. It was a huge improvement, but I remember being frustrated with how it couldn't get me enough distortion. I was later satisfied with the Boss Mega Distortion, which I liked at the time). On the super shitty side, I had a generic wah-wah pedal that didn't even have a brand name associated with it. It didn't even have a way to turn it off. It was just always on when it was plugged in.

ME: Ibanez 540P
    MA: Ovation Celebrity CS257
    MB: Ibanez SRX2EX1
    Rig: BIAS FX

I was digging through boxes this morning looking for the manual for my old synth and came across this little item. If you couldn't afford a Tom Scholz Rockman, there were cheaper alternatives out there.

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

So, around 1988 I was already recording guitar DI, and I replaced my perfectly acceptable (for the time) Rockman Soloist with this horrible buzzbomb:

The Digitech DSP 128 had a ton of effects, an early attempt at cabinet modeling, and the most godawful buzzy distortion ever. Get a taste on this little number I recorded in 1989: https://christopheroberst.bandcamp.c...h-of-the-night