The horrible 80s/90s gear thread.
Page 1 of 19 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The horrible 80s/90s gear thread.

ME: Ibanez
    Rig: Mesa JP-2C

The horrible 80s/90s gear thread.

This is it, this is the thread for anyone that ever played a Zoom, Ibanez soundtank, Crate amp, DOD Thrash Metal, or any pedals Garrett bought in the last 2 years.

I'll kick it off with my garbage gear of choice as a teen in the 90s, the Korg G3. Wow did this thing suck, but you never knew it if you were just playing it through your equal-quality Crate 20 watt amp! When your richer friends brought over their 2x12 Fender or Marshall combo, or their godly Digitech RP1 you felt it then though!

This thing was sorta / kinda patterned after a 3 channel Marshall, with added effects, and you could save presets. But let's not kid ourselves, all the channels sounded bad and the effects were just a hair better than the soundtanks. But hey they got dimebag darrell to shill for it, so it couldn't be all that bad, right?

Yeah it was. It was like having a distortion pedal that needed a distortion pedal before it to make it distort. And we played it up hill, both ways, and we liked it!

In all fairness, I had this thing for a long time and eventually upgraded to a rack system, so being that it was my gateway drug to multi-effects systems, it wasn't really all that bad. Except when it was, which was like every time I plugged it in.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The horrible 80s/90s gear thread.-_57-jpg   The horrible 80s/90s gear thread.-korg1-jpg   The horrible 80s/90s gear thread.-korg2-jpg  

2. Thanked by:

3. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

I had this:

Only gear I had was a cheap plywood guitar this pedal and home stereo... can you imagine the Bees

Also had a for a while cheap PedalBoard (cant recall the name) that it I think it was a Korg as well

ME: Gibson
    MA: Fred Welker
    MB: Jazz
    Rig: ENGL/Fender/Marshall

Any amp/Preamp by Peavey that wasn't named Butcher or Rockmaster.

Until the 5150 came along and kicked that brand in the ass, Peavey really was pure shit for hard rock/Metal guys.
    The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll look down and whisper "No.” ― Alan Moore

6. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: LTD H7, KM6, 540SLTD
    MB: SR305E
    Rig: Helix

When I had to downsize from my JCM900/Carvin stack I (stupidly) bought one of these:

If I closed my eyes tight and wished really hard, it sounded great - as long as it wasn't turned on and I was imagining the tone... #WhatATurd

My previous practice device of choice was this:

Which also required a fair bit of imagination to make it sound great. But, for the era, it was actually pretty fun to screw around with.
    Tone Chasers Anonymous ™ - I’m not just a member, I’m the President.
    Don’t expect much, it’s not like I’m a rocket surgeon.

ME: WarmothTele/SE245
    MA: Seagull S12+
    MB: Fender Jazz Bass V
    Rig: HD500

I had a Korg AX1G. A few of the effects were really neat sounding, but the distortions were garbage. I was running it into a boom box that had a guitar input. It sounded bad. I tried running it through my Line6 Flextone II when I got it, and found that it sucked so much tone Even bypassed it sounded like I was playing through a ball of jello.

ME: SIggery Heresy,
    MA: Some old washburn
    MB: some Vintage bass
    Rig: Mark IV, axe fx std

this

into this

at the time it was the best thing i'd ever heard until my buddy got one of these bad boys.

I DOEN A BAD MURDA.

ME: USA Strat/LP, TAM10
    MB: Ibanez SR305
    Rig: Randall Satan

Used to run this bad boy through a 20 watt Fender Frontman with a Squire strat.

Last edited by jmeezle; 07-07-2017 at 12:36 PM.

ME: Charvel Strathead
    Rig: Laney Ironheart

I had one of these god awful things. Bought it instead of a 5150, such an idiot in my late teens.

The horrible 80s/90s gear thread.-bv60h-1-jpg

Considering the rig before that was a Metalzone into Unicord bass amp with a 15" speaker, I guess it was a upgrade in a sense.