Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Locking Tuners for Ibanez?

29K views 35 replies 16 participants last post by  AdamTKovacs 
#1 · (Edited)
Been looking online for a set of black locking tuners for my Ibanez RGIB6. Not looking to go high-dollar, just a descent set that works well and hopefully don't have to drill anything out. Can you guys point me in the right direction please?

Also do I need staggered or non-staggered?

#3 ·
You have an angled headstock, so it doesn't matter as much. Pay attention to the gauge string you're using; you can't get a stock Sperzel set, and expect a 68 to fit. You can get a set with a bigger bore though. Schallers, Sperzels, and Gotohs all work well, IME.

#5 ·
This is really a Buy Nice or Buy Twice type of purchase. The difference between a middle of the road set of tuners and a really good set is about $25-30. Spend the extra coin for a set of Schallers, at the end of the day it's the price of dinner and a movie these days and you'll have that guitar for quite some time.

#6 ·
I have Hipshot Griplocks with the UMD system - takes barely longer than it does to change strings to install them and they turn like butter. Originally bought them for my 94 RG470 and 2016 LTD, and they were huge improvements over the stock tuners. I'll sell ya one of the sets for $50 + shipping if you want.

#22 ·
Funny enough, it was actually difficult to track down a set of 7 string locking tuners that don't use the external screw. My Google-fu actually brought me to this thread, oddly enough, and I used it to research more before I settled on the Sperzel set.

#35 · (Edited)
Whose?

That literally had a fresh rub of F-One the day before that pic. Don't want to over oil here either as it's Florida, not Arizona. Twice a year is plenty.

Just installed the Sperzels. Took about half an hour. Nut fell off, and had to reglue it, so waiting for it to dry before I string it up.
Fuck me, so did mine. :scratch: Must be something in the air.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.