Metal Guitarist Forums banner

NGD: Custom telecaster "Clifford"

3K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  budda 
#1 ·
Commissioned as a 30th birthday gift from my family, I had a local luthier build me a boatneck vintage-meets-modern telecaster. Ayr Guitars is a part-time outfit, and I was happy to received the guitar within 3 months of agreeing to the build. The guitar is finished, minus the fact the original bridge (Kluson 6-saddle) has not arrived yet. The Fender bridge is from a highway 1. Clips when I get around to them.

Specs:
- 1pc swamp ash body
- flame maple neck
- rosewood fretboard with MoP dot inlays
- Nocaster inspired neck carve (Fender Thick "U" .980" at nut, 1" at 12th fret)
- Kluson 6-saddle bridge (on order)
- Graphtech Ratio tuners
- Tusq nut
- Vineham Nocaster pickups
- 3-way toggle, volume, tone
- Fender tweed HSC

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks man. Trying to decide if I leave it no guard, copy Aaron on the clear guard, or go white/parchment/etc.

Having a bunch of nice guitars at home sternly reminds me that at least one of my practice amps could be upgraded :lol:.

I do owe a lot of thanks to my family for funding this idea :wub:.

#9 ·
First clips!

I made some clips of the AVRI (still at L&M ;)) while I had it so I could compare to Clifford. I'll be making some tracks with overdrive and distortion as well.

Since I'm sure some will wonder - guitar->Fractal FX8->Sclarett 2i4->Garage Band (tweed 112 sim)

#22 ·
Update:

Going with a joe barden bridge, partially because it will probably arrive first. The bridge will address most of the issues (tech looked it over). Builder has nicknamed it "waitcaster" :lol: It needs a second string tree as there isnt enough pressure on the D and G causing tinny tone unplugged. Once the bridge is on, nut slots filed and string tree added, it should be in top form.

Yet again Im waiting for a bridge :lol:

#23 ·
Turns out a local shop actually had the Joe Barden bridge in stock. My student cancelled so I got that sucker on there somehow. It's the most tech work I've ever done :lol:. When you don't have a bench, use the guest bed!

Hoping to get in to the shop Saturday (weather and schedule pending) to add another string tree, finish filing the nut and give it another setup. He's also going to drill the last two holes to finish installing the bridge. I will say, the 9-46 definitely provides an ease of use :lol:.

#24 ·
I got to try this thing out as Justin, Phil, and I had a meeting of the Telecasters :lol:

The neck on this thing is no joke. It's huge, but incredibly comfortable. I think the results were that this was the loudest of the bunch, especially on the bridge pickup, while mine had the most spank/attack (probably due to the chambered body). Phil's was very cool, too: low action, and the Twisted Tele in the neck position sounded great.

I didn't take any pictures, so here's theirs :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.