Metal Guitarist Forums banner

7 string guitar ~$1500

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Emile640 
#1 ·
Hey all,

Rather than going with a shorter scale 6 string with locking trem (earlier thread), I've realized that I want to have the extended range of a 7 string and a fixed bridge (an extra string certainly doesn't worry me since I play a 13 string nylon strung guitar which is 13 independent strings). I do not want a guitar that is longer scale across the board (i.e. 26.5 or 27.5 scale). So far in my budget of ~1500 for the axe and case, I've got these 2 on my short list and am looking for opinions and even more recommendations:

Schecter SLS Multiscale Elite
Guitars : C-7 Multiscale SLS Elite
This boasts quite a bit of nice features for the money:
  • Fishman fluence pickups (active/passive toggle)
  • neck through construction
  • Multiscale (25.5" to 27")- great if I want to go low A or lower and better intonation on paper, but more of a stretch for the aging fingers on lower strings
  • 24 frets
  • Ergonomic body design
  • Looks killer, nice natural finish and shape

I was pretty set on the Schecter, but then I saw Solar's evil looking new explorer 7 string.
https://www.solar-guitars.com/product/e1-7fbb-flame-black-burst-matte/
So in comparison for a very similar price I'd get:
  • Obviously a very awesome looking guitar and finish. Looks super metal, tasty, and deadly!
  • Duncan/Solar passive pickups. How do these compare to the Fluence pups?
  • Set neck
  • 25.5" scale for all strings but lower than B for the 7th may not work out so well. Playability would certainly be easier on my left hand.
  • 22 frets
  • Ergonomics an issue? I remember sitting comfortably enough with an explorer as a teenager, but what was comfortable then certainly isn't now in my mid 40's. Note to self, probably should test drive an explorer.

See less See more
#2 ·
For that money you are in Ibanez prestige territory and that is what I would be looking for if I were you if you want to buy new. I have no experience of fishmans but as (almost) an old fart I cant see them being that much better than other pickups that they'd matter to me, but if you like them fair enough.

Solar is something I have also considered but not had my hands on one.

If you dont mind multiscale Ormsby's 'hype' series are really nice guitars and pretty much bang on your budget. They have a similar production method to Solar eg offshore production overseen by an expert. I have played one of these and it was really nice although the one I played was standard scale and those are scarce.

My only experience of Schecter 7s is that they have massive thick necks I didnt like and was immediately put off. That was a while ago though.

Finally, and I cant recommend them enough, Mayones. I have 2 6 strings and they are very nice indeed, one id say is a similar quality to my Suhr Modern (mayones Duvelle) and the other nicer (Mayones Regius). You would need to go second hand on your budget but they come up often on their facebook group and are almost all fixed bridge.

#3 ·
I'm not trying to persuade you in one or the other, but answer some of your questions regarding the Solar I can. I have never tried the Schecter you mention so I can't compare but I can at least answer some of the questions you have regarding the E1.7

- Duncan Solars vs. Fluence - Mostly output wise, the Duncan solars are medium output which means they're really dynamic, and reacts to your playing, if you're digging into the strings, it will be really aggressive. The Fluence is however my fave non-passive pickup and it's an excellent choice. So it's more about taste. Fluence are definitely higher output, but nothing a slight overdrive can fix.

- 25.5" scale works really good since it has the Evertune Bridge which takes away the need for a longer scale length to stay in tune or sound good. It's a preference thing as well, but I've always been a huge fan of 25.5" sevens and Evertune, and the E1.7 is a good example for that. I'm just a better guitar player with the shorter scale.

- Ergonomics wise, since it has the arm contour it says way better for your arm than a regular explorer shape.

#5 · (Edited)
Thank you so much for the input. Coming from a classical background, I certainly like the ability to influence the sound more with attack (i.e. dynamics) so that will likely put me more in favor of the passives. As far as sitting with it, I'm sure the ergonomics are great for the right hand but I'm also wondering how comfortably it rests on your leg for longer durations of time (1 hr+). Also, do you know the weight on the E1.7 and nut width?

#6 ·
There are a lot of options for that price range, what features do you really prefer? The two you listed have just about nothing similar aside from being guitars :lol:

ESP / LTD have some good models and some include evertune as well like Ken Susi or Head model LTDs. Jackson also has some nice 7-strings out right now.

#7 · (Edited)
There are a lot of options for that price range, what features do you really prefer? The two you listed have just about nothing similar aside from being guitars

ESP / LTD have some good models and some include evertune as well like Ken Susi or Head model LTDs. Jackson also has some nice 7-strings out right now.
Thank you for the suggestions! That Head LTD looks great with the neck through, Fluence pups, and evertune. Jackson has quite a few 7 strings a bit under my budget albeit with Floyd's that I could find (an interesting option). Lot's to think about. I'll have to head over to a few stores and see what I can try out.

#9 ·
I mean, that Solar is just sexy!

And yeah, once you get beyond 25.5", you kinda start losing natural harmonics, and your instrument starts not sounding like a guitar anymore. More like a hand piano.

#10 ·
Buy a used Ibanez RG7621 (Hardtail) or a 7620 and then block the tremolo.
You will save money and throw sick pickups in there if you want.

https://reverb.com/item/18786163-ibanez-7620-1999-vampire-kiss
A used 7620 with upgraded BareKnuckle Pickups.

https://reverb.com/item/14947516-98-ibanez-mij-rg7621

These are some of the greatest 7 strings to be on the planet and have stood the test of time. Made in Japan.
You can find them from 219$ to 800$. It just depends if someone realizes what they have. They are 25.5 scale.

Rusty Cooley, Chris Broderick, Per Nilsson all used these guitars and I assure they are great not only for surely committed 7 string players but also for those who want to test the waters.

Here is Rusty killing it on one.

Per Nilsson using one.

#13 ·
True story with those RG7620's and RG7621's. I had a pair of them, in fact, at the same time, and they were awesome. I ended up selling both as I drifted towards more Tele and LP body shapes, and necks that weren't so thin.

#14 ·
I actually own the schecter best guitar in my collection by leagues if im being honest. I believe this has a lot to do with the multiscale I truly love that and the quality of the overall instrument is very good. I like this better than my music man 7 string with all of that being said i just ordered a hype gtr from ormsby about a week ago and expect to like it even more we shall see. The reason i believe i will like it more despite loving the schecter is every one has praised them up and down as some of the best bang for your buck in the industry. I've done a fair amount of research and the only thing that has me slightly worried is the pickups being low output but i've been told by many they sound amazing. One thing of note in that regard to that is ormsby pickups are built for multiscale they have a custom slant for exactly this purpose the fishmans are not made specifically for multiscale rather just cut to fit. Supposedly that does actually make a difference not 100% sure how that is just what I've heard. I personally don't think you can go wrong with the schecter but i do believe ormsby will be the guitar i like more the passion in perry ormsby about guitars means a stronger attention to detail in the creation process at least in my eyes. Schecter being such a major company while i do feel they made a amazing guitar i think they kept it closer to normal and didn't really push to make a unique yet quality instrument. Just my personal opinion good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.