NGD: Get this kid jamming one way or another
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NGD: Get this kid jamming one way or another

ME: S540LTD, JS32-7
    MB: SR305E
    Rig: 6505 412 v30 OU812

NGD: Get this kid jamming one way or another

So we bought my son a Mitchell 3/4 scale guitar a few months back after he decided the smaller size worked better for him (he's 10) and after getting it home and plunking around on it for awhile, he decided he didn't like it - it was really twangy/tin-ey and didn't sound at all like any of his dad's guitars. So I returned it and used the cash for my own gear after he said he didn't want another guitar.

Fast forward to about two weeks ago and my wife was playing some of the games on Rock Smith and he said "Just so you know, I wouldn't mind having another guitar as long as I don't have to pay for it..." My wife gave me the look like, "it's go time."

To me, this is obviously a green light to buy another guitar...

So, we walked into GC the other day and they had this hanging there for only $99... perfect price for a starter guitar.

Jackson JS22

It was on a police hold til yesterday, so I picked it up about 11am, brought it home, fixed a few little things (the input jack was loose and the pickup heights were just all wrong) and then played it for about an hour. It's definitely not on the level with my Saber or my wife's Jem Jr. and there's a noticeable quality difference between it and my JS22-7s, which kinda surprised me; I figured it would be on par with them and they're both clearly much better built, with better components and craftsmanship. But, it's not too shabby for an entry level guitar - wish they were this nice when I first started playing - instead of the $150 Aria Pro II junk pile I started with...

Anyway, he broke his collarbone last week so he doesn't know we got the guitar for him yet (don't want him bumming cause he can't play it - poor guy is already bummed at all the things he's missing out on from having his arm in a sling). But, hopefully, this is the one that starts him down the path...
    Tone Chasers Anonymous ™ - I’m not just a member, I’m the President.
    Don’t expect much, it’s not like I’m a rocket surgeon.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

Good job, dad.

I'm a little surprised by the Mitchell. I got a 3/4 scale Mitchell ($50, used) for my 6-year-old son last weekend, and it's a surprisingly good guitar--kind of fun to plunk around on such a small fretboard, actually. Now, if I can just get the kid to pay attention for more than 15 minutes...

Since your son is 10, his hands are probably close to being big enough to play a full-size guitar, anyway.

ME: Wolfgang
    MA: Grandpas guitarz
    MB: lol
    Rig: EVH

Quote Originally Posted by Iron1 View Post
    "Just so you know, I wouldn't mind having another guitar as long as I don't have to pay for it..." .
    I like that kid lol and at that price why not.
    Vag Jackson, Man Of Action

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Suhr Modern
    Rig: Axe-Fx II / 5150

Awesome!

ME: Gibson Les Paul
    Rig: Mesa/Boogie Lonestar

All I can ask is that I suck a little less each time I pick up my guitar...

ME: S540LTD, JS32-7
    MB: SR305E
    Rig: 6505 412 v30 OU812

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonplayer View Post
    Good job, dad.

I'm a little surprised by the Mitchell. I got a 3/4 scale Mitchell ($50, used) for my 6-year-old son last weekend, and it's a surprisingly good guitar--kind of fun to plunk around on such a small fretboard, actually. Now, if I can just get the kid to pay attention for more than 15 minutes...

Since your son is 10, his hands are probably close to being big enough to play a full-size guitar, anyway.
    I was a little surprised too, but I don't have any experience with 3/4 scale guitars. I was actually pretty impressed with it for the price point and it was a good looking guitar, but it just didn't give him that spark you have to have to want to play a guitar. And, if you can get your son to pay attention FOR 15 minutes you're doing better than I am.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdave View Post
    I like that kid lol and at that price why not.
    Ha, yeah, he's a little negotiator for sure.

ME: BOSS guitar.
    MA: BOSS should make one.
    MB: pitched shifted with BOSS
    Rig: All BOSS. All you need.

Nice! That’s a sweet looking guitar. I flat out told my son that if he wants any bass gear (he seems more attracted to bass than guitar), that I’d just buy it for him, instead of him having to save up for it like video games.

ME: Ibanez JEM7V
    MA: Enema Bag W/Piezo's

Getting a guitar in my hands was the best thing my father ever did for me, hands down, without a doubt, zero question. Tight work!!!
    "It's ONE WHOLE MILLIMETER"