In this thread: A guitar without a floyd is a like a neutered dog. Change my mind. - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: In this thread: A guitar without a floyd is a like a neutered dog. Change my mind.

ME: 1984 Warlock NJ
    Rig: 6505+

Hardtail bridges, the savior of guitar players with defeatist attitudes! I saw a beautiful Carvin today with a plain hardtail bridge on it, the bridge looked right out of place. No aesthetic appeal and def no mojo for sport guitar players.

Lic floyds stay in tune very well. Some people aren't technically inclined, so I can see why they stick to hardtails. Grow a pair and get a Kahler equipped guitar as well. They are super fun and sport the 'a lot going on' look. Kahler bar action is different than the floyd, and fun... like switching between dunlop and morley wha's.

I'm also a fan of pro rock'rs and edge bridges. Floaters! What is good in life!

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ibanez UV7PWH
    Rig: VHT UL /AxeFX2 /Mesa RK2

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    My picking hand is like a hammer, because I grew up on 80's thrash and speed metal. If I'm recording rhythms, I much prefer a fixed bridge. Because I'm a man, and I pick like a man, and Odin doesn't tolerate bitchpickers.
    false.

a proper floyd can be played by the right hand of thor. Whilst wielding the hammer.

If you're bitchpicking on a floyd, it's because you are using strings with as much tension as an episode of beverly hills 90210

ME: Les Paul Standard
    MA: Yamaha 6er/Tacoma 12
    MB: Peavey
    Rig: Blackstar Stage 60

I like and use both... Although for my current projects, I've been playing hardtails pretty much exclusively, and only breaking out the wiggle-sticks for occasional solo tracking. Having said that, I am contemplating breaking out the Floyds more for certain things (mostly Blut Aus Nord/My Bloody Valentine-style dissonance)...
    "The greatest power one may possess -- in any situation -- is simply not to care what happens.

"In fact, it's the only power, all others being a semblance and mockery of it. But you must also not care about possessing the power itself. So fuck it."

Thomas Ligotti

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Robin Medley Special
    Rig: 6505~(some pedals)~Mesa

Quote Originally Posted by Luafcm View Post
    Hardtail bridges, the savior of guitar players with defeatist attitudes!

Not only that, but IMO, they're the dullest trem out there. If you want hardtail, go TOM or GTFU.
    President - Reverse Headstock Lover's Club ©

ME: Custom 6
    MA: Walden Cutaway
    MB: Ibanez SB1200
    Rig: Marshall

You can even djent on a Floyd. What's not to like?

ME: Custom 6
    MA: Walden Cutaway
    MB: Ibanez SB1200
    Rig: Marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Luafcm View Post
    I'm also a fan of pro rock'rs and edge bridges. Floaters! What is good in life!
    My main 6 string guitar has the Original edge. LOVE those.

I can't imagine limiting myself to a hardtail or TOM. Plus I find the TOM awkward since it sits so high up. Seems like a design flaw more than anything else.

ME: Charvel
    Rig: Imac/Apollo

Quote Originally Posted by Assault Bacon View Post
    I actually don't have an issue with Floyds. I was responding to the "neutered dog" remark.
    I didn't take an insult to it, but at school there was a student who bought an Ibanez with an edge bridge. He decided to change the strings in the lobby by taking them all off at the same time without using something to block the bridge from dropping. I explained to him how to change strings and asked to borrow my tremelo arm. It wouldn't fit because it was a floyd arm and not an edge arm. He bought the guitar without the arm. He's also the same person that refused to tune his guitars, played a show at the school and complained to the FOH engineer that he couldn't hear himself (forgot to turn on his amp), and his previous guitar was one of those purple LSU epiphones. Hard tail players. Yikes.

ME: Ibanez UV7PWH
    Rig: VHT UL /AxeFX2 /Mesa RK2

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    An Evertune is even dumber than the double locking fixed bridge on those Meshuggah sigs. Route a bunch of wood and throw in some springs, yet no whammy bar.
    no springs. just 3 screws holding the bridge into the top. They're good fun, and like, almost a floyd, the feel is nice, but so confusing when you reach for the bar, and grasp sadness and despair