In this thread: A guitar without a floyd is a like a neutered dog. Change my mind. - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: In this thread: A guitar without a floyd is a like a neutered dog. Change my mind.

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Quote Originally Posted by thrashinbatman View Post
    Also, if Gary Holt, one of the best pickers in thrash, can play Floyds almost exclusively, so can you. A floating bridge is no excuse for bitch-picking.
    I like Gary Holt, but the best Thrash picker/player of all time is Jeff Waters. No contest.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Custom 6
    MA: Walden Cutaway
    MB: Ibanez SB1200
    Rig: Marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    TOM, Floyd, or Kahler.

And none of that recessed TOM bullshit either, only proper ones. Kahlers don't work on every guitar and can suck on some models, but when they work they can be really awesome and feel great if you are a TOM guy.

If I had to pick one it would be a toss up between TOM and Floyd. Floyd's main weakness is it can't do compound bends unless you block it to dive only. .
    Tremsetter solves the problem, or just compensate the bend.

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Quote Originally Posted by fproject.music View Post
    This is the most overly optimistic thing I have ever heard. Recording wise, yeah, it's possible for a really good player to do it. Live, even best of the best god tier talents like YJM have trouble getting their bends as perfect on the record. And that's non compound bend. Bending, especially live, already has enough shit you have to compensate for. You can count the number of truly great benders in metal on your fingers.

As far as blocking/dive only. That's a worse crime than no floyd at all. You completely lose the slinky feel and the cool flutters.

For my money, you can't beat Zakk Wylde. I don't care what he's done for the past decades, No Rest For The Wicked is incredibly precise playing very few people could pull off, and a lot of it is quad tracked.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

Quote Originally Posted by fproject.music View Post
    Guys who do a lot of compound bending typically play fixed bridges.
    Noodles

So live for today,
    Tomorrow never comes.
    Die young, die young,
    Can't you see the writing in the air?
    Die young, gonna die young,
    Someone stopped the fair.

ME: Ibanez UV7PWH
    Rig: VHT UL /AxeFX2 /Mesa RK2

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    This is the most overly optimistic thing I have ever heard. Recording wise, yeah, it's possible for a really good player to do it. Live, even best of the best god tier talents like YJM have trouble getting their bends as perfect on the record. And that's non compound bend. Bending, especially live, already has enough shit you have to compensate for. You can count the number of truly great benders in metal on your fingers.

As far as blocking/dive only. That's a worse crime than no floyd at all. You completely lose the slinky feel and the cool flutters.

For my money, you can't beat Zakk Wylde. I don't care what he's done for the past decades, No Rest For The Wicked is incredibly precise playing very few people could pull off, and a lot of it is quad tracked.
    No rest for the wicked is Zakk at his best imho, no more tears is damn good too.

Double stops on a strat, blues, they have springs, it's still no excuse, clapton, beck, SRV, gilmour...

once you're used to it, it's fine, i forget not to compensate on fixed bridges

ME: Ibanez UV7PWH
    Rig: VHT UL /AxeFX2 /Mesa RK2

In fact, zakk's playing/hunger is by my reckoning inversely proportional to his beard length.

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

Quote Originally Posted by 7 Dying Trees View Post
    No rest for the wicked is Zakk at his best imho, no more tears is damn good too.

Double stops on a strat, blues, they have springs, it's still no excuse, clapton, beck, SRV, gilmour...

once you're used to it, it's fine, i forget not to compensate on fixed bridges
    Totally agreed on Zakk. NMT has his best tone, but his best playing is NRFTW.

Clapton blocks all of his bridges. Buy a Clapton sig model, and you get a blocked traditional trem bridge with no springs. SRV and Gilmour tensioned the springs until the bridge was sitting flat on the body. Beck is an alien from another planet that is capable of doing things with a guitar that mere humans cannot achieve.

ME: 1984 Warlock NJ
    Rig: 6505+

Jeff Waters plays a TOM guitar. Jeff Waters > My opinion. I concede.

I have a 24fret 24.75" warlock with a kahler and it takes the cake for best setup and easiest play-ability with my physique. Love that friggin guitar to death. I think it's just the weird height of the kahler, and this particular guitar looks like the neck isn't set into the body as deep as you would expect it to be. End result is a great playing guitar.
    Also got a KV2 select with floyd and everything sits super low profile. It has a 25.5" neck and smaller fretwire than standard.

I prefer to play the king V, but I write better riffs on the warlock(it spits thrash riffs).