I also did a thing with my Charvel... - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I also did a thing with my Charvel...

ME: Schecter KM-7 mk iii
    MA: Wasburn D12S
    Rig: Orange Brent Hinds Terror

Three-ply Black outer layers, with that same green as the middle layer would be aces...
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Charvel So Cal
    Rig: Triple Rec

Quote Originally Posted by Vegetta View Post
    Three-ply Black outer layers, with that same green as the middle layer would be aces...
    I would love to do this and have even looked into getting the single ply green but I can't find any. Mint or pearloid green is the closest I can find.

Tbh I still think this looks best with 1ply black.
    www.numbskullaudio.com
    Recording. Mixing. Mastering. Editing. Re-Amping.

www.stivesguitarservices.com
    Set-ups. Maintenance. Restoration. Repairs.

ME: Schecter KM-7 mk iii
    MA: Wasburn D12S
    Rig: Orange Brent Hinds Terror

yeah the black looks good ^

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Quote Originally Posted by Mattayus View Post
    I mean... No? Why would I do that I make pickguards for people who want replacement pickguards for their Charvels, not for someone who wants their guitar to look like they got it designed by someone who thought this is what the future looked like in 1975.
    You almost had me there, with your subtle rhetorical question. It might have been too subtle for some though, I believe what you really meant was.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattayus View Post
    I mean... No? Why would I do that I make pickguards for unimaginative middle aged men in the midst of a mid life crisis who think they are Warren Demartini who want replacement pickguards for their Charvels, not for someone who wants their guitar to look like it was designed by the greatest wizard of all time and then buried beneath Stonehenge, only to be unearthed when the time is right to save all of Albion from the plague of Milquetoast production Charvels from Fender and bring magic back to these lands with it's timeless dragon like design.
    On a serious note though, I meant maybe you could just change up the shape a bit to take some appointments from that, like how the guard follows the neck differently alongside the bass side of the neck and has a cool flange.

Also, you need a colorful cliplock/pickups/knobs on that thing.

As far as pots go, what was on their originally? The stock Charvel/Jackson meat grinder type thing?

I'm all about fine tuning the volume and tone pots with something glorious, don't particularly like the strat one on there though. Ones like these red ones can look great, I've been saving these for a guitar, red and green is never a good combo, too christmas-y, but I really like that style. You don't usually see them on guitars, but they are cool looking if you get the right ones. Forget the term, the common terms are obviously barrel/top hat/witch hat/dome/chickenhead/etc. etc. These show up more on amps, but I think they look great on superstrats.

Gotta have a Charvel to mod. I agree with your look on this one that sleeker and simpler is better, but I've got a bunch of stuff I fuck around with, and man, these switchcraft on offs (bottom right), kill as blower switches or breakers. I really like having one of those in a guitar. I've got a bunch of stuff I try in my Spectrum, which is my modding charvel. Next up I'm going to try fader style sliding controls instead of pots. Seen that on a couple Framus's, the dude from Helloween has a V with them too.

What's the mini toggle on yours? On off? Blower? Series/Parallel? I see you've got one there. I like both On/Offs and blowers if they are unobstrusive, though lately I like the click-y push type better than the toggles. The click is satisfying.

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Also, your guards all plexi/plastic? Or have you done metal ones yet? Total sucker for the Steve Harris style reflective aluminum ones.

ME: Charvel So Cal
    Rig: Triple Rec

I don't like deviating from the standard superstrat or classic strat aesthetic tbh. To me, the whole ethos of Charvel is to take a Fender strat and hot-rod the tits off it. I know these days they're essentially Jacksons with a strat headstock but still... I like keeping that aesthetic where applicable.

I was actually really disappointed when they got rid of the classic strat jack plate on the 2016-onwards models (which mine is, unfortunately). Looks odd seeing a strat-shaped guitar with a strat headstock, with a pickguard... but with the output jack on the side of the body I've got used to it now but would still prefer the old type.

As for material, the only thing I've done that's outside of the standard acrylic stuff so far is a mirror one for some Dutch dude's Superstock silver sparkle