Gibson Custom Shop relic Explorer
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gibson Custom Shop relic Explorer

ME: Ibanez RG 550
    MB: Sandberg Ken Taylor 5
    Rig: Diezel Herbert

Gibson Custom Shop relic Explorer

I still have a sub going to the German Gitarre & Bass magazine.

This was last month's cover:

Inside it said the LP and SG were part of a series of five different Gibson style guitars.

What is that on the far right?!

Gallery here: https://www.kirstein.de/Sonstige-E-G...tch-Ebony.html

Sadly, the price is

€7,800?

I'm not too sad. Whenever I get close to a relic it just looks like cheap crud. I'm just enjoying this like actresses before HD TV forced them all to be young teens/made-up to armageddon/lifted.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

This relic shit needs to die.

ME: Charvel So Cal
    Rig: Triple Rec

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    www.numbskullaudio.com
    Recording. Mixing. Mastering. Editing. Re-Amping.

www.stivesguitarservices.com
    Set-ups. Maintenance. Restoration. Repairs.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Caparison/Maverick
    Rig: Axe FX>Matrix>Zilla's

Yep. You want a beaten up guitar, buy an old one that's been played to hell and back. You want a new guitar, buy a new one and relic it yourself over the next 20 years.
    I'm so metal I shit bats

ME: CS USA Soloist 7
    MA: Ovation Elite Standard
    Rig: Mesa Triple Rec

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

I think relic'ing gets an unfair amount of hate.

On one hand, I think it's contrived, and it looks terrible and unconvincing, but on the other, it doesn't even break the top 10 list of "Stupid things happening in the guitar industry".

It's kind of a double whammy, not only is it a poser idea, but the execution is always really unconvincing. If they had like, the Lord of the Rings weapon crew do it and it looked good, it wouldn't be quite as bad.

I don't personally like it, but it's not exactly a recent trend in the guitar industry to do inauthentic things for aesthetic appeal. The guitar industry had been dying ebony a uniform black for so many years that people think it comes from the tree like that.

Idealogically I think trying to pass it off relic'ing as real is a bit objectionable, but people do stupid things for a specific aesthetic look all the time.

This is America. If some guy wants to airbrush a wizard riding a dragon on the side of his van he's allowed too. When the end of the American Golden Age ended and people forgot the ways of Teddy Roosevelt and the Rough Riders and started saying things like, "Maybe we shouldn't be hunting turtles to extinction for our guitar plectrums" the pick industry switched to making fake turtle plectrums. They could have just made plectrums from the ground up that were unrelated to the idea of being harvested from noble centuries old tortoises that may or may not have met Charles Darwin on his historic voyage to the galapagos, but instead the industry was like, "the people want plectrums made out of turtle shells, so we'll give them plectrums made out of fake turtle shells."

Once you start drawing a line that relicing is objectionable because it's fake, it brings up all sorts of uncomfortable questions. Like, I have a pedal that has the reverb sound of a cathedral. Am I a poser for not having the real cathedral on hand? Yeah, I think it's stupid, but if I wanted to start picking apart every facet of the showbusiness industry and scorning everything that's fake I couldn't watch any movies with CGI. The only thing I could watch is Downton Abbey. Which is a shame, because while Downton Abbey is an excellent program that presumably only features light CGI, I've already seen it like, 17 times.

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

There is just something intrinsically ridiculous about the music industry bitching about relicing, guys with full sleeve tattoes of like, photorealistic flames and impeccably detailed scenes from Japanese myth being like, "Yeah, I have a problem with people doing stupid shit to look cool".

It's far from the only stupid contrived thing people do to look cool, how many Metal bands are going around with logos in 24 pt Bold Times New Roman? None. They all spend like, $500+ to get the sickest logo possible. Glass houses and all that. I think relicing looks stupid, but at the same time, I'm not going to be the one to throw that stone.

ME: Schecter KM-7 mk iii
    MA: Wasburn D12S
    Rig: Orange Brent Hinds Terror

I don't get relicing at all. Oh what's that you say? It makes the guitar play like it is broken in? Yeah you could totally do that without making it look like you drug it down the driveway.

Not to mention that I have a guitar that had the ever loving shit played out of it for over 30 years and it doesn't look anywhere near as bad as those relics.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ