NGD - Back Where I Stratted

Thread: NGD - Back Where I Stratted

ME: Carvins
    MA: Larrivee
    MB: Ibanez BTB675M
    Rig: 2 Year Old Son

NGD - Back Where I Stratted

I started playing guitar on a Bullet Strat, like many others here I'm sure. It's probably been at least 20 years since I moved on from that thing, but the last few years I've wanted to get another Strat. I was kinda dragging my feet on actually picking one up cuz usually a new guitar purchase (you know, the "one" with everything you think you want/need) ends up running me about $2k.

WELL, I came across this, brand new, for $88

New Strat 1 by Nick Shelton, on Flickr

New Strat 2 by Nick Shelton, on Flickr

New Strat 4 by Nick Shelton, on Flickr

It's just a base Affinity Strat, made in China, but they killed it on this one. Nothing really to complain about on the guitar build wise, but I will probably mod the hell out of this thing with better bridge/tuners and pickups, and I'm definitely glad it is HSS. Probably new pots too. And I'm pretty sure I'll black out everything on it hardware-wise. Even the fretwork is good, not like ESP level, but no sharp edges and they're level and nicely crowned. Sounds good unplugged too. Very impressed and pleased with this overall.

What are the best options for new bridge and tuners, if I'm trying to stay with drop-in replacements?

Thanks for looking

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Gibson
    MA: Fred Welker
    MB: Jazz
    Rig: ENGL/Fender/Marshall

I appreciate this more than others will I'm sure. NICE!!!!
    The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll look down and whisper "No.” ― Alan Moore

Nice

Probably the Fender non Pin tuners will be a direct replace. For the Bridge maybe a Gotoh 510TS-SF2 and for the Pickups maybe an Andy Timmons AT1 +Cruises(Bridge version) will please you. But those Cruises aren't really the same as real Single Coils, they are much darker. Or just make it an Adrian Smith (Super Distortion-Noiseless- Noiseless).

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

Gotta say I'm loving the neck on this thing! The skinny nut width (40.9mm) and 9.5" radius combined with the natural back of neck finish make it really easy to play.

Quote Originally Posted by mpexus View Post
    Nice

Probably the Fender non Pin tuners will be a direct replace. For the Bridge maybe a Gotoh 510TS-SF2 and for the Pickups maybe an Andy Timmons AT1 +Cruises(Bridge version) will please you. But those Cruises aren't really the same as real Single Coils, they are much darker. Or just make it an Adrian Smith (Super Distortion-Noiseless- Noiseless).
    I'll have to check out that Gotoh bridge. Do you know if the Fender tuners you mentioned can be had in black? I'm pretty sure I want to black out everything on this (other than the pickguard, I quite like how this one looks).

ME: Forshage, EBMM
    MA: Blueridge BR-40
    MB: Dingwall Afterburner
    Rig: Soldano HR25, Mark V:25

Nothing wrong with a solid Squier.
    Too much focus leads to tunnel vision
    Too much faith leads to religion
    Too much knowledge leads to confusion
    Too many guitar lessons lead to jazz-fusion

It looks like my best options for tuning machines come down to Hipshot and Fender for locking black tuners. Who has used/owned both and what do think is the best quality?

To stay with a drop-in replacement for the bridge it is between a Hipshot, Gotoh and Fender. Same question, which one is best quality and feels the best on the hand for palm-mutes and such?

And also, Fender doesn't actually list the bridge I want on their website but I would assume I can order it from them?

ME: Washburn N7
    Rig: Peavey 5150

Squires can be great guitars. My classic Vibe Tele shits all over every one of the new American Player series guitars I have played.

ME: Ibanez JEM7V
    MA: Enema Bag W/Piezo's

The Fender fans really seem to dig Callaham bridges. I'm getting one for my MIM that I've been turning into a vintage reissue. Callaham Vintage Guitars and Parts (Home)

There's a section on there for making sure you're ordering the right bridge for your particular guitar. I know they make them in US and Mexican specs, so hopefully your routing is the same as either of those.

I've been going Strat crazy lately. I started playing because I thought Gilmour's CAR Strat looked so cool and then got into EJ right after, so my early years were entirely Strat obsessed. My MIM Strat had an 1/8" thick poly coat on it and sounded like a wet blanket, so I stripped that shit off and sprayed it black. I'm putting locking Kluson's on it, stripping the poly off the neck, replacing the logo with a vintage decal and then spraying it with nitro. It's going to be relic'd, in the sense that it was already well worn, I'm just not refinishing it to look new and minty. Got a Suhr SSV+ or SSH pick-up going in the bridge and some Rio Grande's I've had in the bridge/middle going into the neck/middle. Just got an HSS pickguard for it this week and should have it making sound before the weekend is over.

Have fun with it, man! I used to hate the large headstocks but have found myself loving them for the last few years....ESPECIALLY if they've gotta Floyd and are beat to shit, ala Mick Mars/Joe Holmes.
    "It's ONE WHOLE MILLIMETER"