My USA BC Rich Warlock Signed by Death
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My USA BC Rich Warlock Signed by Death

ME: Gibson Les Paul Trad
    Rig: Marshall VM & DSL50

My USA BC Rich Warlock Signed by Death

Here's a guitar that might be appreciated here. It was signed by the members of the band Death in 1998 after "The Sound of Perseverance." I got it when I was in college and played the heck out of it. Unfortunately I rubbed off most of Chuck Schuldiner's name - then, of course, he died. Richard Christy is gone, too.

I don't know if I'll keep it or sell it, but either way, I need to fix it: It is missing one of the locking clamps for the nut. These are evidently smaller than the standard Floyd Rose size of about 11mm. All the replacement Floyd clamps I've found are too big. Any idea where to find the size to fix my guitar? In the meantime I filed down a standard nut clamp and it's doing the job fine.

I sold it to a friend when I needed cash about 15 years ago, then he sold it back when he was in the same boat. He lost the clamp.

Also, I'm at a loss to find a guitar just like it for sale anywhere. Any estimate on it's approximate value, considering condition? I know the signatures are a wild card as to what it might be worth to someone, especially since all that remains of Chuck is the "Sc" from "Schuldiner."

Last edited by Cossack; 05-07-2019 at 01:44 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ibanez 540P
    MA: Ovation Celebrity CS257
    MB: Ibanez SRX2EX1
    Rig: BIAS FX

Nice guitar, even without the Death story. Always liked the BC Rich Gunslinger style like this.

As for the locking nut, you're measuring the wrong direction. Measure the width of the nut from E to E (technically, outside edge to outside edge) and that will tell you, generally, the Floyd Nut width. The specs are all listed here on the Floyd Rose website. As you can see on the chart some Floyd nuts (R3 & R4) are actually the same width but with different string spacing. Anyways, with those measurements, you should be able to figure out which one you need to order.

Thanks for the tip. I'll measure that way and check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by scole View Post
    Nice guitar, even without the Death story. Always liked the BC Rich Gunslinger style like this.
    thanks. I've never seen another Warlock like it - you're tight, Gunslinger style: angled P'up, single knob, and reverse headstock - but there must be more like it out there somewhere.

Edit - I just searched again, adding "gunslinger" and found a few and found a few of what people call "Warslingers" that have the angled pickups - still none quite like mine, but getting warmer. Thanks for making that comment - I'd never thought to search them together before.
    Last edited by Cossack; 05-07-2019 at 04:00 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Bowes Nightbringer 7

I had one of those LA Series Warlocks, but mine had two humbuckers. Could the body have been refinished?

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    I had one of those LA Series Warlocks, but mine had two humbuckers. Could the body have been refinished?
    It doesn't appear to be refinished - I can't see any reason to think it has been. Did you notice something that made you think it might have been refinished?

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

Hard to put a value on it, but I strongly doubt the signatures will have much impact on that.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonplayer View Post
    Hard to put a value on it, but I strongly doubt the signatures will have much impact on that.
    Agreed. Mostly looking for a comparable guitar to get a price baseline. It's obviously not in pristine condition, with one nice ding and the standard horn shipping. Other than that it's great. Other USA Warlocks I've seen were around $1000 more or less (some much more). I'd guess mine is worth a little less - mostly based on condition - unless a rabid Death fan wants it, but even then it's not going to add much value without the late great Chuck's signature.

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

Quote Originally Posted by Cossack View Post
    Agreed. Mostly looking for a comparable guitar to get a price baseline. It's obviously not in pristine condition, with one nice ding and the standard horn shipping. Other than that it's great. Other USA Warlocks I've seen were around $1000 more or less (some much more). I'd guess mine is worth a little less - mostly based on condition - unless a rabid Death fan wants it, but even then it's not going to add much value without the late great Chuck's signature.
    My guess is that any bolt-on BC Rich is going to have a hard time breaking $1,000 these days. I recall there was kind of a bubble on Gunslingers for awhile (especially with a desirable graphic like a Nagel), but the Class Axe era guitars just haven't become collectibles the way the Bernie Sr. era guitars have. Personally, I think most of the Bernie Sr. "classics" are ergonomic nightmares that never seem to sound as good as you'd like.