Appeal of features: Scarcity vs. Merits - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Appeal of features: Scarcity vs. Merits

ME: Fender Telecasters
    MA: Emerald X20 Artisan
    MB: STR LS-648
    Rig: Mk IVa / Hartke HyDrive 2

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Shit like that, IMO, has such a miniscule effect on the overall sound of the guitar when it's buried in gain that I personally could never tell the difference tonally. I'm sure some goldenears out there will claim to be able to pick out a maple board vs a rosewood board when they're listening to someone shred through a Mark with the gain on 12 million, but I sure as hell can't.
    Once you start adding gain all of the little differences in woods and damn near everything else just disappears completely. I can't really hear the difference between a single coil and humbucker in a Tele bridge on high gain.
    "Oh, those jazz guys are just making that stuff up!" - Homer J. Simpson

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: RGIT27FE / Carvin DC
    MB: American Jazz Deluxe
    Rig: AxeFXII - Matrix - Vader

Hearing and feeling are two things that I consider separate when talking about this stuff.

I don’t know if I can hear the difference between ebony rosewood and maple, because I haven’t really had any guitars with specs similar enough otherwise to try and make a comparison. But I can damn sure feel the difference between playing on an ebony board and a rosewood board. In most cases I prefer ebony, but rosewood and maple definitely have their place in my stable.

For aesthetic stuff you might be right might be wrong. I don’t think scarcity has ever really had much to do with my tastes, I pretty much just like what I like. I do agree though that mass producing some of what used to be the pricier features seems to be cheapening them. First couple times I saw highly figured burl tops with interesting bursts in flat finishes etc they were pretty striking. Never were something I wanted to get, but they were worth stopping for a bit of admiration. Now when I see ANOTHER new line from ANOTHER company and I can’t even tell who’s making it because it looks exactly like all the other shit...I just don’t even care to glance at them now.

Remember when you could tell an ESP was an ESP because it looked like one and the same with schecter and ibanez and the rest? Doesn’t seem to be like that anymore

ME: CS USA Soloist 7
    MA: Ovation Elite Standard
    Rig: Mesa Triple Rec

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    The only tangible (wrong word?) things I care about when picking guitars are things that matter, like body wood, scale length and pickup configuration. I know I like H-H 25.5 basswood and mahogany superstrats, so that's what I go for. Everything else I buy strictly for aesthetics or utility. Stainless frets last longer. Maple and ebony boards look cool. Offset/no dots look cool. Handles and lion claws look cool.

Shit like that, IMO, has such a miniscule effect on the overall sound of the guitar when it's buried in gain that I personally could never tell the difference tonally. I'm sure some goldenears out there will claim to be able to pick out a maple board vs a rosewood board when they're listening to someone shred through a Mark with the gain on 12 million, but I sure as hell can't.
    </thread>

Seriously, while I like things like binding and sharks on Jacksons, it doesn't make me buy them.

My current problem is with someone like Friedman selling relic'd Charvel-style guitars for $3K. Especially since I'm betting all the parts come from a parts mill.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    </thread>

Seriously, while I like things like binding and sharks on Jacksons, it doesn't make me buy them.

My current problem is with someone like Friedman selling relic'd Charvel-style guitars for $3K. Especially since I'm betting all the parts come from a parts mill.
    Didn't know Friedman had expanded into guitars. Took a look at their site and I guess it's a "partnership" with Grover Jackson.

Which honestly isn't the most reassuring thing. I've played three GJ2 guitars that were just straight up terrible for the price.

ME: Blackmachine
    Rig: Helix/Matrix/Zilla

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    Didn't know Friedman had expanded into guitars. Took a look at their site and I guess it's a "partnership" with Grover Jackson.

Which honestly isn't the most reassuring thing. I've played three GJ2 guitars that were just straight up terrible for the price.
    The new Abasi guitars are Grover too I think.

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Blankplank View Post
    The new Abasi guitars are Grover too I think.
    FWIW, the pics of some of the Grover Abasi guitars weren't especially inspiring either. Some of the fret edges were razor back sharped, tons of sophmorish finish issues, etc.
    Argbadh - RHLC©

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

Quote Originally Posted by Blankplank View Post
    Currently all my guitars have rosewood boards. A cheapish acoustic, right through to my Blackmachine. It wouldn't be my first choice on a full custom sure, but it sure as fuck ain't gonna put me off buy something production. My RGD is literally nothing like I would order in a guitar features wise, but it sounds great, and looks cool as fuck. If it sounds tight and angry (not talking about my wife here btw...), then that'll do me.
    Ant: I play guitars with rosewood boards because I don't give a fuck about trends

Also Ant: I own a Blackmachine

ME: ESP/LTD DV8-R
    Rig: Kemper

Quote Originally Posted by ChainOfThought View Post
    Hearing and feeling are two things that I consider separate when talking about this stuff.

I don’t know if I can hear the difference between ebony rosewood and maple, because I haven’t really had any guitars with specs similar enough otherwise to try and make a comparison. But I can damn sure feel the difference between playing on an ebony board and a rosewood board. In most cases I prefer ebony, but rosewood and maple definitely have their place in my stable.

For aesthetic stuff you might be right might be wrong. I don’t think scarcity has ever really had much to do with my tastes, I pretty much just like what I like. I do agree though that mass producing some of what used to be the pricier features seems to be cheapening them. First couple times I saw highly figured burl tops with interesting bursts in flat finishes etc they were pretty striking. Never were something I wanted to get, but they were worth stopping for a bit of admiration. Now when I see ANOTHER new line from ANOTHER company and I can’t even tell who’s making it because it looks exactly like all the other shit...I just don’t even care to glance at them now.

Remember when you could tell an ESP was an ESP because it looked like one and the same with schecter and ibanez and the rest? Doesn’t seem to be like that anymore
    The focus on appealing to shredder/djent types has indeed been stripping away the individuality from each brand. It's all burled maple and multi-color fade finishes, with heavy emphasis on singlecut and superstrat type guitars. They've all been introducing models to make their lines more like each other, like Jackson releasing that awful singlecut. That style was really cool and boutique when it was first introduced, but everyone jumped on the train so hard that it's just as boring to me as seeing a gun metal gray finish in 2007. I appreciate more visually interesting options are becoming accessible, but some variety would be nice.

It doesn't help that signature artists join another brand and then force them to make a guitar like what their old company made instead of allowing them to stick to their strengths. IMO, that PRS Strat that Mayer had them make is an abomination. If he wanted a Strat he should have stuck with Fender or went to another brand that already makes a Strat style guitar. It'd be like leaving B.C. Rich for Gibson and expecting them to make a ripoff Beast.
    C'mon son.

Hellevate