Appeal of features: Scarcity vs. Merits - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Appeal of features: Scarcity vs. Merits

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

Quote Originally Posted by 7 Dying Trees View Post
    Neck shape is the thing that makes or breaks a guitar for me.
    It's important to me, too. Or, at least neck *thickness* is. As long as the neck is thick enough, I can put up with a variety of profiles.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Quote Originally Posted by schreckmusic View Post
    Am I the only one who does not care about neck shape? Its never been a factor for me.
    I'm not picky about it at all. There is the occasional guitar that has a neck shape I flat out dislike and disqualifies the whole guitar for me, but that's an extreme minority of guitars. I have neck shapes all over the spectrum.

As long as it jives well with the radius of the fretboard it's good. For rounder radiae you don't want something super flat or slim neck carve wise. On traditional Gibson radius makes a baseball bat style thing works well.

I tend to prefer bulkier necks as time goes on too, since that's where a lot of the tone comes from. I have a lot of really shreddy Jackson/Charvel carves I play and love, but my main one is a huge Gibson neck.

ME: Fender Telecasters
    MA: Emerald X20 Artisan
    MB: STR LS-648
    Rig: Mk IVa / Hartke HyDrive 2

For me the neck IS the guitar. If I get along with the neck chances are I'll like the guitar, whether it's a boat neck Tele or a Jem or a 6 string bass. You play the neck.
    "Oh, those jazz guys are just making that stuff up!" - Homer J. Simpson

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Suhr Modern
    Rig: Axe-Fx II / 5150

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonplayer View Post
    It's important to me, too. Or, at least neck *thickness* is. As long as the neck is thick enough, I can put up with a variety of profiles.
    This. That KxK singlecut I had was fucking AMAZING, but unfortunately the neck was so thin I couldn't play it for more than 20 minutes without my hand cramping up. Far and away one of the nicest guitars I've ever played, and I owned two Shermans and a handful of Suhrs. The build quality on that thing was just unreal.

ME: Ibanez
    Rig: Mesa JP-2C

Quote Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
    For me the neck IS the guitar. If I get along with the neck chances are I'll like the guitar, whether it's a boat neck Tele or a Jem or a 6 string bass. You play the neck.
    This is so true. For me, I always loved the look and feature set of Schecter guitars, but their baseball bat necks kept me away. It wasn't until their newer Merrow and Apocalypse series did I really take serious interest in them because I love their thinner necks on these guitars.

I'm also finding that it's easier playing above the 12th fret on a 27" neck with my fat little fingers. So there's that

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    This. That KxK singlecut I had was fucking AMAZING, but unfortunately the neck was so thin I couldn't play it for more than 20 minutes without my hand cramping up. Far and away one of the nicest guitars I've ever played, and I owned two Shermans and a handful of Suhrs. The build quality on that thing was just unreal.
    Oh man, the thinner the better for me. I love the feel of a super-thin neck. The Ibanez 7-string Iron Labels lately have had phenomenal thin necks. I've never measured it, but I'd bet they're as thin or thinner than the old Wizard IIs.

ME: PRS
    Rig: JCM800

The whole "every major brand is turning into each other" reminds me of an infographic I saw of SUV's from every major brand: they basically all look the same. Even the ones that don't necessarily look similar when you see the colours, they're the same. Perhaps this is spilling into guitar building as well. (note the year too https://medium.com/swlh/the-zombie-mobile-b03932ac971d)

[early-ish AM philosphy] I wonder if North America is just getting further from enjoying inidivualism/unique things[/philosophy]. Wouldn't be surprised if that's been the case for a while *side-eyes remakes*.

[IMG]https://cdn-images-1.medium.com/max/1600/1*RCyvppE9R3x85bCAmnFjbA.jpeg[/IMG]

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

I never got the appeal of dot-less blank fretboards, and I've never minded dots. They're utilitarian, but functional. I'm I can tell the difference between a rosewood and maple fretboard in both tone and feel in a blindfolded test, as well, and while they both have their merits I do prefer maple.

Beyond that, I mostly just want glorified Strats with a modern Strat thickness neck anyway.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

ME: Ibanez RGD Prestige
    MB: LTD Surveyor
    Rig: Diezel Einstein

I think there's a bit of both going on in different situations.

Let's take neck-thru construction as an example. There's a hell of a load of bickering about tone etc when construction methods are concerned.
    In some cases, people prefer neck-thru because they feel that it has better resonance due to the increased surface contact, compared to bolt on/set necks. However, on the flipside, neck-thrus are a pain in the arse to build. Therefore, they're considerably more expensive and made less because why would you put all that extra effort in for no premium, right? From there I guess the prestige/rarity effect comes in. Just human nature, I suppose.

Same dealio for a lot of the features mentioned here- price = prestige = desire, often.

In regards to fretboard wood, I can only really speak for myself here. I'm on the waiting list for a luthier, who's going to start building my guitar this year. Ebony has been on the spec from day 1 because although I find rosewood really comfortable, I just prefer the darker, more contrasting aesthetic element of ebony, especially with some streaks. The aesthetic aspect is actually the reason I used black rocklite on this V build I started and abandoned a few years ago. I just wanted something black, but grain was no biggie.

Different reasons for different people, I guess.
    call me on 911 (USA) or 999 (UK) for poser disposal services