Appeal of features: Scarcity vs. Merits - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Appeal of features: Scarcity vs. Merits

ME: 1984 Warlock NJ
    Rig: 6505+

I was just in a Guitar Center trying to find a guitar for my 40th. I was looking at offshore stuff, and couldn't find a guitar I liked to play. Lots of great looking guitars, Jackson, Chapman, LTD, EII, Ibanez... But so dissapointing to play on. (I'm comparing them back to my cheapo 80's and 90's Ibanez/BC Rich/Jackson offshore guitars.) I have a crap eye for guitars apparently. The only one that played right (IMO) was a USA Gibson ES-335 at a Long and McQuaids.

Until I picked up an Ibanez Genesis RG550DX! That guitar was solid, heavy, felt right... it's hard to explain so play one of these if you can and compare to a new Jackson Pro or similar superstrat.

But it was Blue, so I passed. I would also pass on a maple version with dot inlays, regardless of how well it plays. IF the guitar is less than $500, I don't care about the appointments if it's a good player. But at $1000+ price point, I expect fancy additions. Specifically, neck binding and some effort on the inlays and making the fretboard look like a good match to the body. Rosewood needs to be pretty dark to look good with a black body. Ebony = win for the blackest of black aesthetics. If more of these type guitars on the market drive the price down, I welcome it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Gibson Les Paul
    Rig: Katana

Quote Originally Posted by schreckmusic View Post
    Am I the only one who does not care about neck shape? Its never been a factor for me.
    Neck shape doesn't matter as much to me as the broken in-ness??? of it. I spent close to 10 years playing the same guitar, and have wore through the paint on the back of the neck. And I have a Charvel and ESP from the 80s, and they've been played quite a bit too. But my Strat is a couple years old, and still has a new feeling, glossy neck and I had to take a scour pad to it to make it playable.

ME: Bowes Nightbringer 7

Seeing a lot of "premium" wood inclusions at inflated prices is bothersome - a glaring example is roasted maple in all its forms. I spent $60 top tier roasted figured birdeye that Suhr would have made 4 necks with and grotesquely overcharge $500 -$600 each for. Since my distributor makes enough of the stuff to do flooring for 200,000 sq ft buildings, they have stock. Anyways - that's my rant about expensive woods being a feature. Most of the time when i see those really nice maple tops, I cringe knowing that companies like Kiesel, Suhr, Anderson or any other top tier company is going to gouge their customer $200-400 for a maple top that probably cost them $10. The one top that I used that people have said the most positive things about cost me $5.

Merits - looks amazing, little more durable and water resistant with little additional costs (only if you're not lying to customers and radically over inflating your costs)
    Scarcity - only as much as companies gouging people with unreal prices convince people of. It's readily available.

On an electric solid body guitar, I can't even comprehend someone saying that a fretboard has much effect on tone (zip experience with tone/sound chambers for acoustics). Feel yes, tone no. If that was the case, put your guitar in drop D and hit an open chord. Your fretboard isn't involved as your strings aren't touching it. Now fret a chord - if the fretboard colors so much sound, it should sound different from an open chord. If the argument is that the fretboard is going to color the sound without touching the strings, then how does something that doesn't actually affect the string vibrating signal picked up by magnets affect the sound when it's not touching a single thing generating the sound? This is wood affecting an electrical signal which.......no. I can understand the body putting a wee bit of "color" into the sound but that's about it. Your fretboard feels different and looks different. In 14 years and after building over 50 guitars, I can't say theres a single guitar that I've had where I thought the wood or type of construction made the guitar sound radically different. Acoustically the ash guitars I've built sounded "sharper", but after recording two guitars with identical specs aside from body wood, I just won't buy into the tonewood argument. Same pickups (BK aftermaths) in the two guitars sounded practically the same and the eq curve was almost identical when I recorded.

Tonewood Merit - hey if it looks good.
    Scarcity - most really crazy wood tops can probably be halved in price or even lower than that.