Appeal of features: Scarcity vs. Merits
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Appeal of features: Scarcity vs. Merits

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Appeal of features: Scarcity vs. Merits

Sound off time.

I personally think that a lot of features throughout history are "desirable" solely because they were scarce or relegated to fewer/more expensive models. So it's interesting to see this past decade that things that were once comparatively "scarce" like non dot inlays and ebony boards are so common that I'm judging them on their own merits instead of as a symbol of elitism and finding I don't like them as much as when they were once heavily conflated with being a symbol of a more expensive/more elite guitar.

What do you think? Talking about features like ebony boards or "fancier" inlays or reversed headstocks, and especially features like figured tops and set/thru construction, which were once comparatively scarce, but are now so common it's more surprising to see a guitar without one.

Opinions? What do you think. Does spec'ing every model with "fancier features" actually lessen the appeal those features once had because they are not as scarce anymore? I definitely think so.

I definitely think we are going to see a big change with rosewood in the coming years, where people realize that the idea that rosewood was a less desirable wood for fingerboards than maple or ebony that permeated the industry for so many decades was mainly related to the fact it wasn't scarce, but now that it is, the appeal will start to go up pretty quick.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

I personally think the biggest problem with guitars right now are the lack of abalone purfling around every face, surface and edge.
    Argbadh - RHLC©

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    I personally think the biggest problem with guitars right now are the lack of abalone purfling around every face, surface and edge.
    I miss old Schecter. New "wants to be Ibanez" Schecter is just boring. Caving to every single stupid trend actually makes them look cheaper than their "everything black cherry/abalone" phase. People always knocked their guitars for looking trashy, but fuck it. Trashy individualism > mediocre conformity any day of the week. I don't want a Schecter RG, bring back the tacky inlays.

This is tackier than anything from their circa-2008 glory days in all honesty. This is tacky pretending to be sophisticated. Which is worse than being unashamedly tacky.

Besides, I have a soft spot for their old stuff. I might not have liked the aesthetics, but they were durable as fuck.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Fender Telecasters
    MA: Emerald X20 Artisan
    MB: STR LS-648
    Rig: Mk IVa / Hartke HyDrive 2

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Well, duh!

I like ebony boards for the intensity of the fundamental note. I like maple for the snap, and rosewood for what I at least perceive as warmth. I also like basswood bodies a lot because with high quality low output pickups (like Bartolinis) they are incredibly versatile, and occasionally gold hardware, so take all this with a grain of salt. What I DON'T like is charging an additional 3 grand for a Gibson Les Paul because of a neck carve or a bit of flame in the top, which to me is ultimate BS. And lastly, I don't give a rats ass what anyone else thinks of my kit, and always like seeing that in others as well.
    "Oh, those jazz guys are just making that stuff up!" - Homer J. Simpson

ME: Suhr Modern
    Rig: Axe-Fx II / 5150

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    Besides, I have a soft spot for their old stuff. I might not have liked the aesthetics, but they were durable as fuck.
    Preach.

ME: Suhr M5
    MB: Squire Jazz
    Rig: Mesa Mk V + Axe FX II

This is basically elitism vs being a hipster - they used to be cool because you couldnt readily have them now they arent cool because you can.

My answer would be I dont care - I like what I like because I like it, the majority of my guitars are burst finish superstrats with 24 frets made out of mahogany with an ebony board and maple top of some sort. But If I were going to buy an ibanez i would buy a flat colour made out of basswood with a rosewood board because that is what I like in an ibanez. In fact the ibanez I own is the only guitar I have like that.

I think if you are buying guitars based on anything other than what you personally like you are doing it wrong.

ME: Suhr Modern
    Rig: Axe-Fx II / 5150

The only tangible (wrong word?) things I care about when picking guitars are things that matter, like body wood, scale length and pickup configuration. I know I like H-H 25.5 basswood and mahogany superstrats, so that's what I go for. Everything else I buy strictly for aesthetics or utility. Stainless frets last longer. Maple and ebony boards look cool. Offset/no dots look cool. Handles and lion claws look cool.

Shit like that, IMO, has such a miniscule effect on the overall sound of the guitar when it's buried in gain that I personally could never tell the difference tonally. I'm sure some goldenears out there will claim to be able to pick out a maple board vs a rosewood board when they're listening to someone shred through a Mark with the gain on 12 million, but I sure as hell can't.

ME: Blackmachine
    Rig: Helix/Matrix/Zilla

Currently all my guitars have rosewood boards. A cheapish acoustic, right through to my Blackmachine. It wouldn't be my first choice on a full custom sure, but it sure as fuck ain't gonna put me off buy something production. My RGD is literally nothing like I would order in a guitar features wise, but it sounds great, and looks cool as fuck. If it sounds tight and angry (not talking about my wife here btw...), then that'll do me.