Compound Radius and bridges - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Compound Radius and bridges

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    I know, but a) they weren't around for years, and b) hardly anyone uses them, including manufacturers. And really, no one ever really notices if they're there or not.
    Good lord, I hate to agree with Rocka, but if your radius at the bridge is off by more than an inch or two from what it "should" be, then yeah, I can feel the different in action from string to string, and have to be careful with the middle strings choking. I was always under the belief, perhaps wrongly, that a 10-16" multiradius came out to about 20" at the bridge, which not coincidently is the radius Floyd uses for their Floyd Rose 7 string bridge, and (IMO) is too flat for a standard Ibanez 16" radius without shimming with either strips cut from an aluminum can or folded aluminum foil to add a little radius back in.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocka_Rollas View Post
    No, an Ibanez JS guitar has a more round 9.5" radius (like many Fender strats), unlike Ibanez Prestige RGs with a flatter 17" radius..
    Most cheaper RGs have a little rounder 15.75" radius.

Not many guitars have 18", not sure where you got that number from regarding a Ibanez JS?
    Ibanez shims the Edge on a JS to add back in radius, to work with the more vintage-appropriate radius of the neck, rather than the stock 16" radius on the edge. I'm not going to say that everyone will be bothered by any radius difference, but clearly Ibanez felt that the 6" difference between a JS neck and an Edge trem was enough to bother with factory-shimming the bridge on this model.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Ibanez shims the Edge on a JS to add back in radius, to work with the more vintage-appropriate radius of the neck, rather than the stock 16" radius on the edge. I'm not going to say that everyone will be bothered by any radius difference, but clearly Ibanez felt that the 6" difference between a JS neck and an Edge trem was enough to bother with factory-shimming the bridge on this model.
    If the difference is that much, then it would bother me, too. I guess I've had fewer problems over the years, since most of my guitars with Floyds have been Jacksons that work well with the bridge radius.

ME: Solar A1.6ET
    Rig: Kemper

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonplayer View Post
    If the difference is that much, then it would bother me, too. I guess I've had fewer problems over the years, since most of my guitars with Floyds have been Jacksons that work well with the bridge radius.
    Jacksons usually have 12"-16" compound.
    They have R3 locking nuts (the only Floyd Rose nut with 12" radius)
    So far so good...

Both the Jackson RR24 I had and a King V I setupped for a friend had stock radius 12" at the bridge.
    That means they removed the factory shim that makes the bridge 10" radius...
    BUT!!!
    They haven't put shims in the outer 4 saddles to make the bridge about 18"...

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

I can't speak for other manufacturers, but I have four USA Jacksons with 12-16" compound radius fingerboards, and the OFR saddle radius is somewhere around 18" or 20" from the factory. Maybe I'll break out the radius gauges and measure them when I get a chance to see exactly what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by drtedtan View Post
    I can't speak for other manufacturers, but I have four USA Jacksons with 12-16" compound radius fingerboards, and the OFR saddle radius is somewhere around 18" or 20" from the factory. Maybe I'll break out the radius gauges and measure them when I get a chance to see exactly what it is.
    I haven't tried any USA Jacksons, so I can't speak for those.

But the MIJ RR24 and MII King V was definitely wrongly radiused.

Quote Originally Posted by dan0151 View Post
    I was just saying that the JS have shims in there trems, I was not talking about 18" for the JS. I said going back to my problem would I need roughly an 18" for my compound...