NGD - A Classic this time (cheap one but still a Classic)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NGD - A Classic this time (cheap one but still a Classic)

NGD - A Classic this time (cheap one but still a Classic)

Yeah wife is getting a bit pissed but... Why not have one if the deal appears... right? Right

So... I bought this MIM Fender Player (used but shinny new):

Then I had two options. Make it a Dave Murray or a David Gilmour inspired one. Well since I already have "Metal Guitars" why not stay Classic and go the Gilmour route? Quick search on the local stores and I got a 3 ply Black Pickguard and some Vintage White plastics, and this came to life:

Black Pickguards on Black Strats make them look sexy AF!!!!

This things play great and I already knew hat from testing some at Stores. NO gaps at all on the Neck Pocket like the ones I saw at the sotre, Fret are pretty good too, not rolled but we can have it all. Also having 22 frets was a selling point together with the 2 point Trem.

I was more inclined some time ago to go for a Nick Johnston Schecter but the price difference is substantial and after reading a review here I kinda stepped back from it. Also the Route is HSH and the Trem Block is a Beefy one too. Going one day to full Humbuckers is a breeze and Fender pickguards can be get in all Configs without major issues.

I'm pretty sure one day the Bridge will have an Humbucker in there even if it is in a single coil format, but I'm going to try to resist doing it (if I can). Also its my first ever Fender

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    MB: SR500
    Rig: Massive/Boobies

I also heavily resisted my base urge to go HSS with my first Strat build. I had a Mexi before with SSS and loved it (stolen ), so I went SSS with my Warmoth.

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    I also heavily resisted my base urge to go HSS with my first Strat build. I had a Mexi before with SSS and loved it (stolen ), so I went SSS with my Warmoth.
    Yeah yesterday when buying the pickguard I was looking at the Single coil sized humbuckers too, but then.. ah come on this is a Strat bought to be a Strat, so I just went to look at something else

Bummer you got it stolen

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Fender Telecasters
    MA: Emerald X20 Artisan
    MB: STR LS-648
    Rig: Mk IVa / Hartke HyDrive 2

There are some good single coil sized humbuckers for Strat bridge slots, but really only if the Strat is your one guitar. I love singles anyway. And your Strat looks great! What year is it? I have a '17 Mexican Baja 50's Tele and it is fantastic.
    "Oh, those jazz guys are just making that stuff up!" - Homer J. Simpson

ME: Solar A1.6ET
    Rig: Kemper

The black pickguard with white pickups etc makes it look so fucking fantastic I could almost get into black guitars

ME: Ibanez JEM7V
    MA: Enema Bag W/Piezo's

Nice!!!

I contemplated going the Gilmour route with mine, which was actually purchased because of my Gilmour love (Candy Apple Red with a maple board) as I re-finished it in black. I got an HSS guard for it because I've had a Suhr SSH+ kicking around for a couple years and figured I'd give it a shot in the bridge for a while. I'm completely re-finishing this thing to vintage specs as I just dig the vintage aesthetic much more, namely with the nitro-necks and vintage tuners.

My first re-fret, which lent itself to sanding the poly off the neck because I knew I wasn't going to pull off an entire first re-fret without fucking something up.

I'm not a fan of the more modern, silver Fender logo with the serial number on the front of the headstock, so that went bye-bye when I sanded the neck down. Got a can of amber tinted nitro and did the headstock while I'm still taking my time on leveling the frets. Fucked up the first decal on the last "R" of "Stratocaster", thankfully 2 decals came with the one I purchased!

Really been loving Strats lately and have enjoyed working on mine more and more each time I sit down to do it. I foresee a lot of Partscasters coming up after this is done!
    "It's ONE WHOLE MILLIMETER"

Tks guy's

Quote Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
    There are some good single coil sized humbuckers for Strat bridge slots, but really only if the Strat is your one guitar. I love singles anyway. And your Strat looks great! What year is it? I have a '17 Mexican Baja 50's Tele and it is fantastic.

Yeah I know. I had Dimarzio Cruisers before but they dont sound the same as true Single Coils. This is a 2018 Mexican Fender Player series when they changed to the 2 point Trem and the 22 frets. So its the cheapest Fender they make (https://shop.fender.com/en-PT/electr...ayer/?rl=en_US) . For now these pickups will stay but in the future I will get what Gilmour uses

Quote Originally Posted by Rocka_Rollas View Post
    The black pickguard with white pickups etc makes it look so fucking fantastic I could almost get into black guitars

For some time I was tired of Black Guitars and avoided buying them, but... this one showed up and I knew what I wanted when I saw it. I'm not found on White Pickguards on anything except White guitars. I think they make everything look a bit cheap, Pearloid look much much better IMO, but obviously it's a personal taste. Even tough Gilmour one is a single Ply I prefer the 3 Ply ones

Quote Originally Posted by Rev Drucifer View Post
    Nice!!!

Really been loving Strats lately and have enjoyed working on mine more and more each time I sit down to do it. I foresee a lot of Partscasters coming up after this is done!
    Whoooaaa man, nice. I wish I could build my own

I used to hate Strats, but then something +/- 3 years ago started to change in me and I kept wishing I had one, I mean its "The Guitar" right? Then around 2017 I loved the color of a Fender American Pro and asked to try it. It was the Sonic Grey and I got blown away by it. Too much for what I was willing to pay for a guitar, although my limits are going up (Wife already noticed this...). After that I started looking at cheap Fenders and even Squiers to make either a Dave Murray or a Gilmour, I can have both with a simple Pickguard Config change, and this is the beauty of the Strats

This one just showed up 3 days ago on a Sales Site, shinny new around 35% off a new one. I wouldn't get a better deal on older MIM Standards to be honest and cheap Squier's would have been too much work and with Rosewood fretboards, I wanted Maple. So and even having bought recently some guitars... I said, fuck it. As long as I buy guitars and in case of reselling I dont loose money, It's fine by me. That's one of the reasons I haven't got the new Charvels... they will eventually show up used too

ME: PRS
    Rig: JCM800

The SSS version of my tour guitars good grab.