"You can use different sized or shaped frets for different parts of the neck." - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "You can use different sized or shaped frets for different parts of the neck."

ME: Ibanez UV7PWH
    Rig: VHT UL /AxeFX2 /Mesa RK2

Intersting, narrower frets on the upper registers sounds pretty cool actually... I'd want to try that out and see what it's like

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: 1984 Warlock NJ
    Rig: 6505+

I like the medium frets on the Jackson KV2 Select. It would be cool to play a guitar with jumbos on the first 12 and medium frets on the upper register (all properly leveled out of course).

ME: ESP Baby Metal
    MB: ESP Horizon 5
    Rig: Rivera KR7, 5153, MKIV

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonplayer View Post
    Both did that, actually, along with Jackson on their Japanese Falcon model (which Itaru Kanu turned into the Horus after he left Jackson to form Caparison).

Having frets with different heights causes problems at the point of the change. If the upper octave frets are higher, the lower ones will fret out. If the lower octave frets are higher, you won't be able to fret the first lower-level fret in tune. This was a problem on both my Jackson Falcon and on my Washburn EC36. I had a cheapo import Hamer Californian briefly which had the same feature on 25-27, but that was such a dog that the problem with playing the 25th fret was the least of my issues with it.
    Yeah it is a bit difficult to fret those even with thin strings.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ibanez S540LTD
    MA: Taylor Big Baby
    Rig: Laney GH50L

Lower upper frets reminds me of shaping in a falloff when leveling frets, which is common enough, except that its a sudden change rather than gradual, which is gonna fuck up intonation/tuning at that point like oldbutprolificjazzplayer said.

I've definitely seen a few necks 2 fret widths come through the shop when I was doing repair, mostly transitioning after the 14th fret, but I think one was at the 12th. Thinking back on it now, I didn't notice it at the time, but pretty much all of them were brought in by somewhat older guys (40-50 at the time) who got into guitar playing like, early 70s British rock/metal, and had transitioned into slightly shreddier (occasionally buttrockish) territory, nevermind the fact that it was the late 2000s/early 2010s. They had all been done 10+ years prior as well, as far as I can tell. I don't know if that was localized because those guys all went to the same tech at some point in time who recommended that when their guitars needed refrets, or if it was the hot gossip in the chase for ultimate shreddilyweddily or what.
    R.I.P. Guitars Etc
    RHLC Chief Promotions Officer

ME: Ibanez RG 550
    MB: Sandberg Ken Taylor 5
    Rig: Diezel Herbert

High-end luthiers? Feline Guitars in the UK (build Blackmachines, restored Richie Faulkner's LP Custom) do this sometimes. I've seen it on several Siggi Braun builds (he's made instruments for people like Timo Tolkki, Victor Smolski, Alex Beyrodt).

I just took shape/size to mean this sort of thing:

This is just about fine tuning. If one needs a re-fret anyway, why not make the dusty end easier to play? My RG2011 has identical frets all the way up to the 30th, if I ever play it enough to merit a re-fret, I'd certainly consider this.