Most comfortable guitar body shape? - Page 7
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Most comfortable guitar body shape?

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    This is literally the first time I have ever heard the Strat described in this way. It was such a massive step forward in electric guitar design. It completely dropped the traditional shape based on acoustic guitars, introduced asymmetric cutaways, full body contouring, a new switching system, and the fulcrum vibrato bridge. That single guitar pretty much defined everything that came after it.

Lazy, cheap Leo...
    No shit, right? The Stratocaster was positively space-age for 1954. It was designed to be affordable to build, but also offered features that were unheard of at the time.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Forshage, EBMM
    MA: Blueridge BR-40
    MB: Dingwall Afterburner
    Rig: Soldano HR25, Mark V:25

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    No shit, right? The Stratocaster was positively space-age for 1954. It was designed to be affordable to build, but also offered features that were unheard of at the time.
    And to this day, it still is a modern design classic that looks right in just about every musical context and for just about every player of every size, worn high or low.
    Too much focus leads to tunnel vision
    Too much faith leads to religion
    Too much knowledge leads to confusion
    Too many guitar lessons lead to jazz-fusion

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    MB: SR500
    Rig: Massive/Boobies

And then you have the far superior Telecaster, which is just a cutting board with pickups...

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Wolfgang
    MA: Grandpas guitarz
    MB: lol
    Rig: EVH

I know "here I go again" lol but the Wolfgang, EVH or Peavey, arch or flat top are offset to balance when standing and have 0 neck dive. They also have the asymmetrical neck carve that fits the hand really well, staight string pull to the tuners, and the basswood/maple body gives it balls and bite. My one complaint would be that sitting in certain positions puts the top edge in your forearm a bit. If you sit right or stand, or arnt a lil bitch, its a non issue.

The Ernie Ball JPs are also super comfy and come in about a million finishs.
    Vag Jackson, Man Of Action

ME: Fender Telecasters
    MA: Emerald X20 Artisan
    MB: STR LS-648
    Rig: Mk IVa / Hartke HyDrive 2

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    There was that one epic saga on talkbass where someone wanted 19mm spacing on a 5 string stingray, and somehow sterling ball got involved, and just for the sake of trolling them he said if they could get 125 orders he would do it.

There's like, 500 pages of drama between the forums. It was ridiculous all around, but in the end everyone agreed it was sort of fucked up that someone in his position who presumably has better things to do with their time trolled his customers in a self aggrandizing effort to confirm that he knows what people want better than anyone.

They scrubbed some of the weirder power trips apparently, and the search function caps at 20 pages, but here's a couple results from 5 minutes of searching.

Sterling Ball responds to criticism <snipped>
    I remember that really well, I was on Talkbass every day when that went down. It was absolutely ridiculous but a lot of fun at the same time. A slow motion car crash, if you will Sterling came off really badly in that though, no question. He also wouldn't let any retailers order the basses, which would have gotten the 125 in a few days - he insisted it be individuals who paid a large fee/down payment up front.
    "Oh, those jazz guys are just making that stuff up!" - Homer J. Simpson

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Quote Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
    I remember that really well, I was on Talkbass every day when that went down. It was absolutely ridiculous but a lot of fun at the same time. A slow motion car crash, if you will Sterling came off really badly in that though, no question. He also wouldn't let any retailers order the basses, which would have gotten the 125 in a few days - he insisted it be individuals who paid a large fee/down payment up front.
    That's stupid. When do 125 musicians agree on anything?

Yes, I know we're talking about bassists, not musicians. Even still.

ME: n/a
    Rig: n/a

The Les Paul shape is fairly comfortable, although I will say that unless they're weight relieved, they can be a bit heavy. Although I do it, I'm not comfortable holding a guitar while sitting. I tend to prop the whole thing up on my knee as you would a flying v... not sure why... so the whole carve-out for the leg is lost on me.

My Strat is actually more comfortable. It's lighter, the forearm bevel works for me and the neck fits my hand well. I'm not fond of the length of the trem arm, so I bought a shorty for it.
    Words I didn't say hurt my feelers... but this is my safe space.

ME: Fender Telecasters
    MA: Emerald X20 Artisan
    MB: STR LS-648
    Rig: Mk IVa / Hartke HyDrive 2

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    That's stupid. When do 125 musicians agree on anything?

Yes, I know we're talking about bassists, not musicians. Even still.
    It was a small change though, just changing the string spacing at the bridge from 17.5 (the StingRay standard) to 19mm (which is the standard for basically everything else). Sterling's stance was that the StingRay was the standard and as such 17.5 was the standard and people asking for the 19mm bridges were idiots who simply liked to complain. As an STR owner who doesn't like StingRays (I much prefer the Bongo) it was just fun to watch the whole thing for me, it was pretty fascinating because of how personally involved Sterling decided to become. He also refused to make white pickups available for any bass other than the StingRay, insisting on black for everything but having them as an available option for the StingRay only. Wacky

And yeah, Strat or RG/Jem for the win comfort wise.