NGD- pawn shop edition
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NGD- pawn shop edition

ME: Ibanez 540P
    MA: Ovation Celebrity CS257
    MB: Ibanez SRX2EX1
    Rig: BIAS FX

NGD- pawn shop edition

So Iím down staying with my parents for the week and, since I do this twice a year, Iíve thought about picking up a cheap guitar locally and just keeping it here so i can still practice. Didnít want to spend more than $100 and originally have thought about trying to get a Squire Strat but I saw this on Craigslist and Iím a whore for H-S pickups.

It was advertised for $130 at a pawn shop but was 30% off when I showed up (so $97). Itís a Mitchell D-300 which is commonly sold through Guitar Center or Musicians Friend. 24 frets, 25.5Ē scale length, a little more rounded neck that an Ibby but still somewhat flat. Also has some no-name locking tuners. Fret ends feel good so what the hell.

2. Thanked by:

3. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

Reminds me a lot of the Ibby SZ line
    Argbadh - RHLC©

ME: S540LTD, JS32-7
    MB: SR305E
    Rig: Helix

Good score! How is the tuning stability with the no name lockers? I'd assume it's great cause how can a manufacturer screw that up, but who knows...

We had one just like that, but the "micro" or whatever Mitchell calls their small ones. Got it for my kid, same finish and everything. He didn't like it so we returned it to GC and got him a Jackson JS22 instead, but I was pretty surprised at the quality. Entry level guitars have a come a very long way in the 30 years since I had my first.... a Hondo aka POS...
    Tone Chasers Anonymous ô - Iím not just a member, Iím the President.
    Donít expect much, itís not like Iím a rocket surgeon.

6. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

Natural finish, HS config. Perfect winner for me. Nice score

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

Can't beat that for under $100.

ME: Ibanez 540P
    MA: Ovation Celebrity CS257
    MB: Ibanez SRX2EX1
    Rig: BIAS FX

Tuning isn’t too bad but I do have a new set of strings which are still stretching out. I thought locking tuners “locked” the tuner from moving but all it does on this guitar is lock the string in the post just like how you lock a string into the bridge of a Floyd Rose.

The innonation was pretty good-I only had to make a minor tweak to 2 strings. I don’t have an amp to plug into here but it sounds nice acoustically.

Replace the Bridge with a Gotoh one, they are cheap like 30-40€ and you will note an improvement in sustain and a tonal change for the better.

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

Quote Originally Posted by scole View Post
    Tuning isn’t too bad but I do have a new set of strings which are still stretching out. I thought locking tuners “locked” the tuner from moving but all it does on this guitar is lock the string in the post just like how you lock a string into the bridge of a Floyd Rose.
    Yeah, all locking tuners work by keeping the string from moving. The big benefit is quick string changes, since you're not doing multiple wraps around the post.
    Noodles

So live for today,
    Tomorrow never comes.
    Die young, die young,
    Can't you see the writing in the air?
    Die young, gonna die young,
    Someone stopped the fair.