Metal Guitarist Forums banner

BC Rich actually doing interesting things!

Tags
rich
12K views 78 replies 32 participants last post by  7deadlysins 
#1 ·
Well, it's been a few years but looks like whoever the owner is for the next year or two is actually trying to do things right! I'll even let the abalone slide, because these look pretty damn cool to me. The satin black mockingbird with reverse headstock is pretty much calling my name! :eek: Really hoping the satin black has an evertune version, as i'd be more interested in that than a floyd.

*edit for new pic*

See less See more
#3 ·
You probably got like 2 years and it'll be up for sale again. :lol: I am pretty impressed with these new models. Can't wait until their website is updated and I can see some prices on these but the satin black mockingbird is giving me major GAS.

Also, is this an exclusive line of Dimarzios? I've never seen these before.

#4 ·
If by interesting things you mean, "Ugly Kiesel ripoffs", I suppose so.

It's like B.C. Rich was holding a design meeting and some guy went up to a whiteboard and was like, "What features date a guitar badly? Don't be afraid, shout out what you honestly feel"

And someone was like, "UGLY RG HORNS INSTEAD OF A REAL SUPERSTRAT SHAPE" (Since no sane person would pick an RG over a Soloist)

And someone else was like, "ABALONE BINDING"

And someone else was like, "KIESEL BURSTS"

And the dude just writes them all down on the whiteboard and is like, "EXACTLY. If we combine all these terribly dated features into a single guitar, it will be so incredibly dated that the date range in which it was fashionable never actually exited. Here's what most people don't know. "Timeless-Terribly Dated and shitty" isn't a linear continuum. It's a circle. This guitar will be so incredibly dated, the date when anybody would have actually enjoyed this guitar never actually existed, therefor there will be a stack overflow sort of thing and this will effectively become the most timeless design of all time. More timeless than the strat."

And then some guy bursts into the meeting late and is like,

"HOLD ON, IF WE'RE MAKING A TRULY TIMELESS GUITAR THIS THING BETTER HAVE AN EVERTUNE AND SOME SHITTY FISHMAN PICKUPS THAT GOT SHILLED BY THE UNEARTH GUYS AND SOME YOUTUBE CELEBRITIES"

And the dude at the whiteboard is like, "I think this company just might have found its new CEO."

#11 ·
If by interesting things you mean, "Ugly Kiesel ripoffs", I suppose so.

It's like B.C. Rich was holding a design meeting and some guy went up to a whiteboard and was like, "What features date a guitar badly? Don't be afraid, shout out what you honestly feel"

And someone was like, "UGLY RG HORNS INSTEAD OF A REAL SUPERSTRAT SHAPE" (Since no sane person would pick an RG over a Soloist)

And someone else was like, "ABALONE BINDING"

And someone else was like, "KIESEL BURSTS"

And the dude just writes them all down on the whiteboard and is like, "EXACTLY. If we combine all these terribly dated features into a single guitar, it will be so incredibly dated that the date range in which it was fashionable never actually exited. Here's what most people don't know. "Timeless-Terribly Dated and shitty" isn't a linear continuum. It's a circle. This guitar will be so incredibly dated, the date when anybody would have actually enjoyed this guitar never actually existed, therefor there will be a stack overflow sort of thing and this will effectively become the most timeless design of all time. More timeless than the strat."

And then some guy bursts into the meeting late and is like,

"HOLD ON, IF WE'RE MAKING A TRULY TIMELESS GUITAR THIS THING BETTER HAVE AN EVERTUNE AND SOME SHITTY FISHMAN PICKUPS THAT GOT SHILLED BY THE UNEARTH GUYS AND SOME YOUTUBE CELEBRITIES"

And the dude at the whiteboard is like, "I think this company just might have found its new CEO."
YES.

Why don't they just go the GUNSLINGER shape? It looks so good

However including Evertunes in the line-up is a good thing ;)

#5 ·
Fishmans brand transformation from, "Company that makes acoustic pickups for OEM and singer songwriters who wear Birkenstocks" to "Company that tries to muscle in on the lucrative youtube metal market by claiming they have developed the T-2000 of pickups that literally adapts to your playing" is hilarious though.

The hype on those Fishmans is literally the most hilarious thing ever.

"WOULD YOU LIKE TO GO FROM THE WORLDS MOST AUTHENTIC 51 TELE TONE TO A RAGING DJENT TONE ON THE SAME PICKUP WITHOUT EVEN TOUCHING YOUR CONTROLS?"

Who the fuck did they get to do the stupid retro futuristic "adaptive pole piece" thing, a level designer from Mass Effect 1? I get that I'm supposed to believe this pickup is from the future because the pole pieces have been replaced by a hi-tech pole line that is adapted into optimal position, but Fishman is kind of hopping in on the tail end of the "Let's bring the Blade Runner aesthetic" back trend.

#12 ·
Abalone ruins the best of guitar designs. It's literally a GAS sufferer's Kryptonite - "Gah I really love that guitar but.. I just... can't... touch it..."

A shame, because I've always had a soft spot for BC Rich. I'd still kill for an original Iron Bird or Warlock (in-line headstock only, fuck the widow headstock!)

They're a little bit "my first metal guitar", and always have been, but they've made some of the most iconic shapes, and when you get a good one they're seriously solid guitars.

Fishmans brand transformation from, "Company that makes acoustic pickups for OEM and singer songwriters who wear Birkenstocks" to "Company that tries to muscle in on the lucrative youtube metal market by claiming they have developed the T-2000 of pickups that literally adapts to your playing" is hilarious though.

The hype on those Fishmans is literally the most hilarious thing ever.

"WOULD YOU LIKE TO GO FROM THE WORLDS MOST AUTHENTIC 51 TELE TONE TO A RAGING DJENT TONE ON THE SAME PICKUP WITHOUT EVEN TOUCHING YOUR CONTROLS?"

Who the fuck did they get to do the stupid retro futuristic "adaptive pole piece" thing, a level designer from Mass Effect 1? I get that I'm supposed to believe this pickup is from the future because the pole pieces have been replaced by a hi-tech pole line that is adapted into optimal position, but Fishman is kind of hopping in on the tail end of the "Let's bring the Blade Runner aesthetic" back trend.
This.

They're the tone snob's ultimate elixir. They get to have bad tone AND feel superior about it.

I find it hilarious that the same dudes who snub EMG's for being active/"compressed" (they're not)/sterile/lacking dynamics/not-a-real-pickup/whatever will jump on these like flies on horseshit.

They're basically the AxeFX of pickups.

#8 ·
I've always wanted to love BC Richs. Owned several. Never enjoyed them as much as I expected I would. Curious about those Dimarzios though...

#10 ·
I’m just happy they’re bringing the stealth back. So far I’ve seen a gloss black, HH+hardtail stealth and I’m pretty happy about that. Hoping for a 7 string but at the end of the day I just need to get one built if I’m ever gonna have the stealth 7 I actually want.

I’m curious to see where they go with it all. Could be on to good things, I did see a comment from them about having more standard models, sans all the trendy flashy stuff.

#13 ·
Didn't catch that they had a new 7 string, so thought I'd go look at their website to see if they had a new 7 Warlock... and got the most useless guitar website in the history of useless websites:

https://www.bcrich.com/

"Listen to our hyperbole so we can datamine your contact info while offering you nothing of substance for your unending minutes deleting our spam emails..."

Not even a product page, or anything... my ten year old could make a better website...

#27 ·
Cherry red stain on a quilt top with soapbars, abalone and obnoxious inlays. I'm going to have to see a headstock for proof this isn't a mid-2000s Hellraiser Reverb listing.
Nah, everyone who was actually there for the Hellraiser era remembers that you could get any finish you wanted, as long as that finish was Black Cherry. There is too much variety in the Kiesel finishes to truly capture the 2008 magic.

B.C. Riches spalted finishes are particularly offensively bad. Spalted can work on a guitar, but when you are printing tops it nearly always looks fucking awful.

#30 ·
My GUESS is that WMI is offering some bonkers pricing these days (since everybody mid-tier seems to be having their stuff built there), which was part of BCR's decision to scale production back up again and the "flavor of the week" design choices were an attempt to hit the ground running on the current market (as opposed to trying to do something new). I think it's ill advised because they don't look different enough than anything else that's already flooded the market that people can get used at 1/2 the price and most of those features are on their way out.

#34 ·
Can't disagree with this. I'm really hoping they're just using all the flashy looking stuff to build up hype and fit into the current market, but in the background they're also working on the standard black & white stuff, some sort of a natural finish line, etc. There are a few pictures already of natural gloss type stuff, but its all burl that I've seen and I'm not down for that.

Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument String instrument accessory

I basically want this with a single coil in the neck and 7 strings. Would also take it in black though.

#36 ·
That being said, if you get a good early US one, they are some of the best gutiars out there. Anything after the U series is suspect.

The later 80s ones like the Gunslingers aren't bad guitars per se, but the necks have not withstood the test of time. I know a bunch of people who have bought cool ST III's and they are cool guitars but the necks are hilariously twisted. It's not even that they are flatsawn instead of quartersawn, the necks just can't take the decades.

5-6 years ago some dude on Rig Talk was unloading a bunch of cool superstrat necks. He would only sell them in a lot so I got like, 3 USA BC Rich necks from that era and a cool Jackson. All the BC Rich ones were hilariously fucked up. Jackson was fucking awesome though, I really fucked up selling that neck, extremely hard to find another 80s one like it. Big logo, reverse headstock, ebony 22 fretter. Awesome neck. Should have held on to that one, but at the time I wasn't really that into the idea of doing parts guitars.

#49 ·
Not a fan of the inline classic R headstock, but a lot of that is because of my stealth which I’m pretty certain is a fake. It’s got a headstock shape similar to Chucks green stealth, but the classic R below the tuners where his has the script logo. To me it’s the perfect headstock. The paddle version is fine. And I do agree I would rather see the R than the signature/script style logo.

#50 ·
Not a fan of the inline classic R headstock, but a lot of that is because of my stealth which I'm pretty certain is a fake. It's got a headstock shape similar to Chucks green stealth, but the classic R below the tuners where his has the script logo. To me it's the perfect headstock. The paddle version is fine. And I do agree I would rather see the R than the signature/script style logo.
A lot of the old Stealths have that big R though. Is there a serial #? You might have one of the Ed Roman ones that was built from BC Rich blanks and someone who has one of the Roman ones mentioned that his didn't have a serial.

#55 ·
I've seen some pictures on Facebook of some plain white models, so that's promising. I'm also hoping for a new Warlock with the bevelled edges. I get the impression I'm about the only person who likes the Widow headstocks on Warlocks, but I don't care. That or a reverse inline pointy works for me.

#56 ·

hope this image works...

widow headstock with the nutsack impression = bad
beast headstock with just a smooth scoop = acceptable with the right body
pointed and ASM inline 6 headstocks = best of the bunch

rest are trash.

I do dig the colors and I actually love abalone but not for BC Rich. BC Rich needs to have an all black version of every model that they're going to produce and if they wanna do some flair type shit they need to keep it simple. No one thinks burst and shit when they think BC Rich. personally I think of the warlock and warbeast and just wish they would do a decent line up of no frills mean looking/good playing metal machines.

#60 ·
widow headstock with the nutsack impression = bad
beast headstock with just a smooth scoop = acceptable with the right body
pointed and ASM inline 6 headstocks = best of the bunch

rest are trash.
I disagree, since those 3+3 headstocks are what look best on Mockingbirds and Biches.

Reactions: Kagami
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.