Excavator destroys $500,000 Hundreds of brand new Gibson Firebird X Guitars - Page 2
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Excavator destroys $500,000 Hundreds of brand new Gibson Firebird X Guitars

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

That's just disgustingly wasteful.

Coverage of the event is so far on the "We don't know if Gibson is responsible" level, but there aren't that many culprits as to who would have that many Firebird X's on hand.

It's amazing how quickly Gibsons new leadership has everyone wishing for the "glory days" of Henry J.

Whatever you thought of the Firebird X, and whatever criticism it deserved, that doesn't change the fact that in a world full of poverty and inequality and many, many disadvantaged demographics, somebody would have been more than happy to have those guitars.

It's almost like the new leadership is having a contest to see how quickly they can throw away any goodwill they might have gleaned from ousting Henry J.

That being said, if they wanted to solidify their hold on the "Baby Boomer's guilty of Conspicuous Consumption" demographic, I'm sure there are numerous people out there fitting that description who think this is "cool" and "badass".

If nu-Gibson wants to get points by doing "funny" or "badass" or irreverent things, they should probably first ask themselves if the things they are doing are actually "funny" or "badass".

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Suhr, Warmoth, rg550
    Rig: Mark V:25 & Mark II

Quote Originally Posted by Überschall View Post
    From the comments...

These had to be fake, the headstocks didn’t break.
    I knew there had to be a headstock joke in there someplace

That being said, I can't wait to see Gibson respond to this, because Gibson is so inept it's fucking hilarious to watch them get dunked on.

Besides the "they could have donated them" angle, I never want to see Gibson bitching about Rosewood regulation again. I'm not really that much of a militant tree hugger, but this is a tremendous waste on so many levels.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    Whatever you thought of the Firebird X, and whatever criticism it deserved, that doesn't change the fact that in a world full of poverty and inequality and many, many disadvantaged demographics, somebody would have been more than happy to have those guitars.
    Yes, but would you wish a Firebird X on those people?
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

ME: ESP Baby Metal
    MB: ESP Horizon 5
    Rig: KR7, 5153, MKIV, UL

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Yes, but would you wish a Firebird X on those people?
    I mean if you can play it then sure, if it's unplayable then probably not.

Not a huge fan of Firebird X jokes.

It would be inaccurate to say I'm not a fan because they are low hanging fruit. Because the metaphorical "fruit" in this situation is so incredibly low hanging it's underground.

I mean, the comedic genius of making a Firebird X joke is like, what's next o masters of mirth? Gonna make a joke about Smash Mouth?

If it was Gibson authorizing the crushing of Les Pauls because hey, all the guitars modern Gibson makes are pretty much worthless (or at least, not worth near as much as they are asking) and they pretend the high prices reflect the high quality but their strategy is actually to make things seem high quality by making them seem unattainable and skipping the whole "make them high quality" part, that would be one thing.

But come on. The Firebird X? Those jokes were low hanging fruit in 2011. This is just sad from every angle.

The only funny joke here is the people saying, "Well maybe Gibson just has high standards and doesn't let the guitars that don't meet their impeccable standard of high quality hit the market and would rather destroy them".

If Gibson wants to play that card, they are a day late and a dollar short. Apparently the "destroyers of sub par guitars" Gibson employs to make sure nothing embarrassing hits the market have been asleep on the job for the past two decades.

Also, the Firebird X gets unfairly scapegoated. Picking on it is stupid.

The problem was never the Firebird X, the problem was Gibson let their classic models go to shit. The same people who are all "lol, Firebird Xs getting smashed" would be up in arms if it was Les Pauls.

It's just dishonest to be like, "The problem with late era Henry J Gibson was outlandish shit like the Firebird X". Nope. The problem was all the other overpriced iterations of their classic designs sucked. The Firebird X is just a safe place to pin all the blame.

It's fucking weak for people to be like, "Oh, hey, remember the Firebird X? That was shit. haha" That's just for people who don't have the balls to say, "Oh hey, remember the last two decades of Gibson's LPs, SGs, Explorers, Flying Vs, etc. etc. etc. . Now those were shit." Because those have a protected status granted to them by baby boomers who think Led Zeppelin is the epitome of music and the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame is a legitimate organization.

Making Firebird X jokes is just, whenever I see someone making them, I have a mental image of them eating in a Hard Rock Cafe wearing sandals with socks. In terms of sick burns that's at the "Elderly uncle drunk at christmas dinner" level.

ME: Fender Telecasters
    MA: Emerald X20 Artisan
    MB: STR LS-648
    Rig: Mk IVa / Hartke HyDrive 2

In such a range of colors too, red, to blue, and back to red again.
    "Oh, those jazz guys are just making that stuff up!" - Homer J. Simpson