NGD : NSLAJ - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 17 to 24 of 25

Thread: NGD : NSLAJ

  1. #17


    Join Date: Oct 2008
    Location: Herndon, VA
    ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

    iTrader: 4 (100%)

    Quote Originally Posted by playstopause View Post
    Yup. While I kinda like the 59' for now, I'll probably end up with something that has more bit at some point.
    I'm actually kind of torn, because the 59 bridge works great for fusion or mid-gain stuff in this guitar. It's just not tight enough for metal or hard rock rhythms.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements
     

  3. #18


    Join Date: Aug 2019

    iTrader: 0

    Guys, what do you think of the USA SLS?
    There are two incarnations of it, one from 19998-1999 and another one later.
    I have the first one, which has a ittle bit rounder body shape. Flamed Mahagony neck and bookmatched body with a thin, bookmatched maple top.
    It is a beast.
    So, do These SLSMG and Pro also have maple tops?

  4. #19


    Join Date: Oct 2008
    Location: Herndon, VA
    ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

    iTrader: 4 (100%)

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex84 View Post
    Guys, what do you think of the USA SLS?
    There are two incarnations of it, one from 19998-1999 and another one later.
    I have the first one, which has a ittle bit rounder body shape. Flamed Mahagony neck and bookmatched body with a thin, bookmatched maple top.
    It is a beast.
    So, do These SLSMG and Pro also have maple tops?
    I never cared much for the original version of the USA SLS. It has tiny frets and too much maple in it, between the neck and the thick maple cap.

    The later version is much different, though I've never even seen one in person. For one thing, they had a 24.75" scale. They were only made for about a year and are very difficult to find--I haven't seen one come up for sale in a couple years.

    The import SLSMG and SLS3 don't have any maple in them. The neck and body are both all mahogany.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements
     

  6. #20


    Join Date: Sep 2008
    Location: London ONT
    ME: PRS
    Rig: JCM800

    iTrader: 1 (100%)

    mmyep
    ________________________________________
    Sparrows (Space Punk, LOUD): https://www.facebook.com/sparrows613/

  7. #21


    Join Date: Sep 2008
    Location: Woodbridge, VA
    ME: CS USA Soloist 7
    MA: Ovation Elite Standard
    Rig: Mesa Triple Rec

    iTrader: 10 (100%)

    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonplayer View Post
    I never cared much for the original version of the USA SLS. It has tiny frets and too much maple in it, between the neck and the thick maple cap.
    I've seen them with both 3/4" and 1/2" maple tops, and mahogany and maple necks. The factory really didn't seem to give a crap about specs on the non-standard (SL-1, RR, KV, etc.) USA guitars - both these and the ATs have a ridiculous number of variations.

  8. #22


    Join Date: Oct 2008
    Location: Herndon, VA
    ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

    iTrader: 4 (100%)

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I've seen them with both 3/4" and 1/2" maple tops, and mahogany and maple necks. The factory really didn't seem to give a crap about specs on the non-standard (SL-1, RR, KV, etc.) USA guitars - both these and the ATs have a ridiculous number of variations.
    Yeah, that was a pretty confused period for Jackson. A lot of the things they were attempting at the time didn't come off very well, like the SL2/DR2 with the cheapo import hardware.

  9. #23


    Join Date: Aug 2019

    iTrader: 0

    My SLS has just a few mm thick cap..
    But after the end of the model, it was a custom shop shape until it was resurrected.
    Maybe that are the ones you have seen with thick caps and varying wood.
    The frets are not Jumbo on mine, you are right @jacksonplayer.
    The trem you mentioned, was made bei Takeuchi in Japan and was used exclusively by jackson for a short even in the custom shop.
    It is the same like the high profile TRS Trem.
    I would say it holds up quite well to an Schaller but I am not a trem abuser..
    Actually, I got a steal for a Jackson Dr2 swamp ash, 97€ including its case and hangtag..
    I also have the RR1( bought with opened scarf joint and fixed it) and Fusion "Don't Smoke".
    The RR1 seems to be an employee build or sth., it has no serial and a custom finish( Black with white Bevels).

  10. #24


    Join Date: Sep 2008
    Location: Woodbridge, VA
    ME: CS USA Soloist 7
    MA: Ovation Elite Standard
    Rig: Mesa Triple Rec

    iTrader: 10 (100%)

    I know the SLS went CS only after 1998, but I saw all these variations DURING the production period.

    Jackson was way weird then - the shop would get bored and make ten of something with different specs, like the topmount-Floyd Student (rosewood and dots, no binding, but real Floyd with the long block) SL-2H run they did in 1999. I completely should have bought the one I played, but it has the King V "speed" neck instead of the usual Soloist version.

    If you got a DR2 for under 100 Euros, you stole it.

Tags for this Thread


Fractal Audio Systems  Shred Training  Angel Vivaldi
Bowes Guitarworks  NumbSkull Audio Production



VigLink badge