Metal Guitarist Forums banner

NGD : NSLAJ

Tags
ngd nslaj
3K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  playstopause 
#1 ·
Been looking for that one for a while, as I absolutely wanted that version of the SLS. It's no reverse headstock guitar, but hey : it's my first Jackson ever!

Sexy and classy as hell... :wub:
And plays like butter too!
The neck on this... Wow.
Now that's my kind of Les Paul. :lol:

Despite the fact the body is pretty thin, this thing sustains for days. SO comfortable. Keeping the 59's as of now... Might change to something with a bit more "bite" in the future.

Specs for those who aren't familiar with the model :

Jackson Soloist SLS3 Pro

Body: mahogany with carved top
Neck: neck-thru-body mahogany with scarf joint headstock
Neck dimensions: 3rd fret: .735", 12th fret: .810"
Tuning machines: sealed die-cast tuners
Fingerboard: ebony
Frets: 24 jumbo frets
Bridge pickup: Seymour Duncan 59 Zebra
Neck pickup: Seymour Duncan 59 Zebra
Controls: master volume, master tone
Bridge: JT390 adjustable bridge with strings-through-body
3-position blade pickups switching:
Hardware: black
Scale length: 25.5"
Width at nut: 1-11/16"
Inlays: MOTO shark fin position
Binding: Ivoroid neck and headstock

(really) quick Iphone pics :

See less See more
#9 ·
Oh man, I bought one of these to flip once, because it was a stupid steal and I knew I could spin it for a profit. Didn't need it. Didn't want it. But I got it, set it up, and found it really difficult to let it go :lol: It was such a classy instrument. Absolutely fantastic.

#12 ·
Didn't know those came in matte finish--I thought the black ones were gloss, just like my white one.

My SLS3 is a killer guitar, but I'm going to switch out the 59 bridge for a JB. I recorded some rhythm tracks with it in the last couple weeks, and the 59 just isn't cutting it in that guitar. Being all mahogany without a maple cap, the guitar is sonically probably closer to an SG than to a LP, and it needs a bridge PU with more bite. The 59 neck sounds awesome in mine, though.

#14 ·
The SLSMG and SLS3 are the last truly great designs Jackson did. My first Jackson was an SLSMG. Fucking awesome guitars.

I actually had a reversed version of the SLS style headstock on the Broderick. Never noticed it was reversed actually, but supposedly it is. Both the regular SLS headstock and the reversed version are awesome. They look great on King Vs too.

#18 ·
Guys, what do you think of the USA SLS?
There are two incarnations of it, one from 19998-1999 and another one later.
I have the first one, which has a ittle bit rounder body shape. Flamed Mahagony neck and bookmatched body with a thin, bookmatched maple top.
It is a beast.
So, do These SLSMG and Pro also have maple tops?

#19 ·
I never cared much for the original version of the USA SLS. It has tiny frets and too much maple in it, between the neck and the thick maple cap.

The later version is much different, though I've never even seen one in person. For one thing, they had a 24.75" scale. They were only made for about a year and are very difficult to find--I haven't seen one come up for sale in a couple years.

The import SLSMG and SLS3 don't have any maple in them. The neck and body are both all mahogany.

#23 ·
My SLS has just a few mm thick cap..
But after the end of the model, it was a custom shop shape until it was resurrected.
Maybe that are the ones you have seen with thick caps and varying wood.
The frets are not Jumbo on mine, you are right @jacksonplayer.
The trem you mentioned, was made bei Takeuchi in Japan and was used exclusively by jackson for a short even in the custom shop.
It is the same like the high profile TRS Trem.
I would say it holds up quite well to an Schaller but I am not a trem abuser..
Actually, I got a steal for a Jackson Dr2 swamp ash, 97€ including its case and hangtag..
I also have the RR1( bought with opened scarf joint and fixed it) and Fusion "Don't Smoke".
The RR1 seems to be an employee build or sth., it has no serial and a custom finish( Black with white Bevels).

#24 ·
I know the SLS went CS only after 1998, but I saw all these variations DURING the production period.

Jackson was way weird then - the shop would get bored and make ten of something with different specs, like the topmount-Floyd Student (rosewood and dots, no binding, but real Floyd with the long block) SL-2H run they did in 1999. I completely should have bought the one I played, but it has the King V "speed" neck instead of the usual Soloist version.

If you got a DR2 for under 100 Euros, you stole it. ;)

#26 ·
Thanks guys! :wub:

Well, so far, the 59' in the bridge stays. It pairs really well with the 6505. This guitar is pure fun. It sounds huge, totally love it!

Anyway, lower output pickups are better for high gain, right? :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.