Floyd Rose tone-loss. A comparison video (Johan Segeborn) - Page 2
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Floyd Rose tone-loss. A comparison video (Johan Segeborn)

ME: Solar A1.6ET
    Rig: Kemper

Quote Originally Posted by Mattayus View Post
    I don't think it's entirely down to that, really. I think it's about the fact that the strings are terminated in something that's suspended on springs, which is soaking up the energy of the string. If it's solid both ends then the string's energy has nowhere to escape, therefore can vibrate for longer.

Just a theory of course. I haven't spent the time and energy to experiment with that theory. Because I've been busy. Rocking out.
    Yes, in theory.

But Darrel Brauns video shows that Ibanez with an Edge bridge (basically a FR) can have LONGER sustain than a Gibson Les Paul!

There's absolutely no rules to this. You basically never know how a guitars sustain gonna be.

All of my Evertune guitars have had short sustain because of the individual vibrating saddles.

BUT I DONT CARE.I choose to ROCK OUT instead, and embrace the tuning stability and dont give a shit about sustain loss!

ROCKING OUT = HAVING FUN = NOT WASTING TIME

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

I'm a complete sustain block skeptic so before anybody starts crowing about that shit just accept that you take a hit with Floyds and that's that
    "Sustain block" is probably a misnomer. I think the weak point in an FR is probably the transfer through the springs (as you outlined) but those stock blocks are kinda dinky and zinc is a fairly pourous, soft metal that likely loses up a bit of energy transfer. But it's negligible considering the springs and the only other contact point being two knife edges.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocka_Rollas View Post
    There's no rule that a TOM would have more sustain than a FR
    This, I believe, is a different argument all together.

My experience and my physicist buddy are under the impression you get more sustain the MORE decoupled from the wood you are. Metal (strings) on metal (frets) through metal (trem>block>springs>claw>screws) with adequate force applied should sustain longer than having the strings running to the bridge and into the anchors/posts and into the wood.

You may hear the acoustic vibration and resonance of the tonewood more in a TOM style bridge but as far as SUSTAIN from the string and the note, I think a floating bridge it's better.
    Argbadh - RHLC©

ME: Charvel So Cal
    Rig: Triple Rec

^ That makes a lot of sense. Maybe that's the "trickery" at play with TOM's and why they feel like they're sustaining more. You're feeling the energy transference more through the guitar and into your hands/body.

I read an article a couple of years back that debunked the bolt-on vs neck-thru sustain argument too, conducted completely scientifically, not with guitars but with strings on devices that simulated the coupling/de-coupling nature of the two neck types. Claimed that there was a negligable difference, and if anything the bolt-on sustained longer.

Go figure, we're all full of shit.
    www.numbskullaudio.com
    Recording. Mixing. Mastering. Editing. Re-Amping.

www.stivesguitarservices.com
    Set-ups. Maintenance. Restoration. Repairs.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Solar A1.6ET
    Rig: Kemper

^ That makes a lot of sense. Maybe that's the "trickery" at play with TOM's and why they feel like they're sustaining more. You're feeling the energy transference more through the guitar and into your hands/body.
    However, if a guitar feels like that, that physically tells the guitar is stealing the strings energy and will result in shorter sustain

The less the guitar vibrates, the longer sustain it should have.

In theory. But guitars are weird and you never know.

I had a Jackson Concept that vibrated a LOT but it had good sustain.

I read an article a couple of years back that debunked the bolt-on vs neck-thru sustain argument too, conducted completely scientifically, not with guitars but with strings on devices that simulated the coupling/de-coupling nature of the two neck types. Claimed that there was a negligable difference, and if anything the bolt-on sustained longer.
    Well, I'm not the least bit susprised.
    It's all about the parts being correctly attached to each other.
    I don't think one can rule out that one or another construction will sustain longer than the other.
    As mentioned, nobody knows how a guitar will turn out.

People speak too muh ABSOLUTES (in other words, CLICHES, that they have heard other say, that "sounds logical" but in reality may not be true) with no actual experience or conducted experiments.

One reoccuring cliche is "Floyds sounds thin because of chopped away wood" (it even popped up in this thread) and it's not true at all.

All my experiments have led me to be completely ambivalent to a lot of guitar factors.

All I care about now is pickups, and even I don't even care too much about that anymore either.

All I wanna do is... ROCK!

Go figure, we're all full of shit.
    We fucking are.

ME: Suhr Modern
    Rig: Axe-Fx II / 5150

I actually agree with Rocka, minus the colored 58 point font.

If my tone is slightly different with a floyd, I'm 99.9% sure I don't really give a shit. I play metal. My tone is covered in gain, scooped, with reverb and delay and compression and everything else, then sent through various speakers that color the sound on their own. I've never had an issue with sustain, let alone one that would make me want to swap guitars. I have a lot of expensive shit, but my #1 guitar is still a beat to shit old 80's Ibanez EX shitter that's probably made out of particle board. It has an OFR in it that I bought with my paper route money in 1989 or so and it sounds great and sustains forever. And it's literally one of the lowest end Ibanez in the history of their catalog. It's probably worth about 12 bucks these days.

I get the point of the "experiment" but I really couldn't care less.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Floyd Rose tone-loss. A comparison video (Johan Segeborn)-screen-shot-2019-08-22-10-10-08-am-png  

ME: Bowes Nightbringer 7

People are holding notes long enough that it's going to directly influence your guitar purchase? "Bro I held that E5 for 45 seconds!" Really? This just seems like some petty crap for people who want to crap on people owning Floyd's.

The video is bunk right out of the gate. Here's two Les Paul's with completely different hardware. He's making this conclusion only based on two guitars and if he's saying the Floyd is the reason for the change, he's assuming the woods are literally identical and have no influence on the sound. If he's including the fact that there's a large amount of wood removed in comparison, i can buy that changing some of the sound, but to buy this guy's conclusion, you have to exclude everything to do with the woods of the guitar. Hardware, giant hole. That's it.

How many guys here have tried two "identical" guitars only to have one sound like a plank and the other sounds amazing?

ME: Suhr Modern
    Rig: Axe-Fx II / 5150

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post

How many guys here have tried two "identical" guitars only to have one sound like a plank and the other sounds amazing?
    This. Or in the case of Les Pauls and Carvin DC7XXs, one amazing one for every 25 planks.

ME: Charvel So Cal
    Rig: Triple Rec

Not to mention we're all using far too much distortion for the guitar's natural level of sustain to be a factor in how long the note is audible for