Floyd Rose tone-loss. A comparison video (Johan Segeborn)
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Floyd Rose tone-loss. A comparison video (Johan Segeborn)

ME: Charvel So Cal
    Rig: Triple Rec

Floyd Rose tone-loss. A comparison video (Johan Segeborn)

I'm sure a lot of you know this guy by now, he seems to be gaining popularity fast, and rightly so, he's great. Basically just cranks plexis all day long.

Anyway, this is depressing but hey we all knew it...

www.numbskullaudio.com
    Recording. Mixing. Mastering. Editing. Re-Amping.

www.stivesguitarservices.com
    Set-ups. Maintenance. Restoration. Repairs.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Suhr Modern
    Rig: Axe-Fx II / 5150

I can't wait for Rocka to see this.

ME: Les Paul
    MB: Precision
    Rig: Sunn

My favourite channel on YouTube at the moment. But yeah, I also can’t wait for Rocks to see it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

I’ll have to watch this later, but is it really tone loss or just different? I wouldn’t expect it to still sound the same after hogging out a bunch of wood for the spring cavity and baseplate recess.

This is what’s great about the FRX. No routing, so the tone is pretty much unchanged. Maybe a touch brighter, since so much steel is added.

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    I’ll have to watch this later, but is it really tone loss or just different? I wouldn’t expect it to still sound the same after hogging out a bunch of wood for the spring cavity and baseplate recess.

This is what’s great about the FRX. No routing, so the tone is pretty much unchanged. Maybe a touch brighter, since so much steel is added.
    Yeah I guess whether it's considered "loss" or just "different" is subjective.

I definitely prefer the punch and sustain of a TOM to a Floyd, but I'll be fucked if I'm ever ditching a Floyd guitar as my main axe. It's just what I've used since day one and what feels like home to me. There are workarounds, namely pickups. What suits a Floyd'ed guitar might not suit a TOM and vice-versa. You just gotta work with what you've got.

You can definitely hear the TOM is noticeably more twangy and boingy, retaining more of the string's energy. Makes for a clearer tone. The Floyd typically soaks it up (or the springs do, rather) resulting in a "softening" of the tone, which is consistent with my experience when comparing the two.

I'm a complete sustain block skeptic so before anybody starts crowing about that shit just accept that you take a hit with Floyds and that's that Doesn't make them any less awesome, and there are just as many toneful Floyds as there are dead planks with TOMs.

ME: Solar A1.6ET
    Rig: Kemper

I fucking hate this whole "this miniscule difference in tone is HUGE and affects my whole life and guitar buying decisions bohooo" thing.

FUCK THIS MEANINGLESS SHIT!

ROCK THE FUCK OUT, HAVE FUN, STOP WASTING TIME!!!!

But ok, to answer the thread because everybody seems so eager to hear my opinion:

Quote Originally Posted by Mattayus View Post
    Nothing wrong here.

Tone loss? A minimal treble loss. That is ALL.

The tonal differences are exactly what I got when I compared a Gotoh hardtail to a Floyd Rose which I made a video about.
    The Floyd tone was a little DULLER despite the internet wisdom of "floyds sounding thin and bright". Stupid internet wisdoms.
    And it has absolutely NOTHING to do with the "wood chopped away". I have already debunked the whole "tone affected by chopping away wood" thing.

It's all about the bridge material.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattayus View Post
    I definitely prefer the punch and sustain of a TOM to a Floyd
    There's no rule that a TOM would have more sustain than a FR.

Also, stop wasting time on stupid shit like this and ROCK OUT instead.

Why care about miniscule differences in "tone and sustain" when you can ROCK OUT instead?!?!?!

Just like I sing in this song:

Lyrics from last verse:

You have the lust to rock
    You gotta rock as fuck
    Dont waste your time on stupid shit

THIS IS WHAT PEOPLE SHOULD CARE ABOUT!!!!

ROCKING OUT!!!

WHO FUCKING CARES ABOUT SOME STUPID MINISCULE MICROSCOPIC DIFFERENCES IN TONE!!!!

STOP WASTING TIME!!!!

Dude I'm at work, I'm not chosing to watch this shit instead of "rocking out" I'm watching/sharing/discussing guitar-related stuff because I haven't got a guitar next to me. This shit really doesn't matter, you're right, but this is a guitar forum, so drop that shit.

FWIW I did say:

Quote Originally Posted by me
    I definitely prefer the punch and sustain of a TOM to a Floyd, but I'll be fucked if I'm ever ditching a Floyd guitar as my main axe.
    Even though I think TOM's yield better tonal properties, it doesn't stop me using a Floyd I honestly don't care about the differences, and I don't let it stop me using what I use. But to deny that there's a difference or that the differences matter is dumb. They're night and day.

Also...

Quote Originally Posted by Rocka_Rollas View Post
    It's all about the bridge material
    I don't think it's entirely down to that, really. I think it's about the fact that the strings are terminated in something that's suspended on springs, which is soaking up the energy of the string. If it's solid both ends then the string's energy has nowhere to escape, therefore can vibrate for longer.

Just a theory of course. I haven't spent the time and energy to experiment with that theory. Because I've been busy. Rocking out.

ME: Les Paul
    Rig: STL Will Putney plugin

Quote Originally Posted by Rocka_Rollas View Post
    ROCK THE FUCK OUT, HAVE FUN, STOP WASTING TIME!!!!
    Rainbow Rocka