Some possible CITES (good) news - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Some possible CITES (good) news

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

Quote Originally Posted by Rocka_Rollas View Post
    I have proven myself wrong many times before!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Even when he's wrong he's right!
    Argbadh - RHLC©

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Les Paul
    Rig: STL Will Putney plugin

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocka_Rollas View Post
    I have proven myself wrong many times before!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Even when he's wrong he's right!
    No video, no believe

patiently waiting for video on being wrong..

ME: Suhr, Warmoth, rg550
    Rig: Mark V:25 & Mark II

Quote Originally Posted by mpexus View Post
    I get that but at the same time everything counts now. Its not just because I dont throw trash into the street that I will stop doing it because im the only one so it will never matter.

We all need to change our habits. We are already kinda fucked if we dont. We need to change NOW not in the Future.
    Nobody is arguing that we don't need to change. But this bullshit that we can't even touch the stuff, even what has already been harvested and used is total crap. Me being able to buy a guitar from Canada has absolutely nothing to do with whether we are still harvesting rosewood trees or not.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Quote Originally Posted by bulletbass man View Post
    I'm not suggesting you just fully reverse course, but rather musical instruments need it's own set of rules and regulations more befitting of them. The guy who built my classical easily has enough rosewood at his house to build 20-30 guitar necks which for him is a lifetime supply. It's pretty dumb his customers and he have to jump thru hoops to use a product on a very small scale when the lumber has already been milled.

Also unlike furniture musical instruments generally get resold often and often travel with it's owner. This is one of the major hurdles that heavily effect musicians under cites that could be eliminated under more specific regulation.
    The "good stuff" used for classical guitar building has been restricted a lot longer than the most recent round of CITES regulation.

Like every other wood used in guitar building, "Rosewood" isn't a single species. It's a group of species. Any wood that smells like roses when it's cut (hence the name) classifies as "Rosewood".

Proper, Brazilian Rosewood has had a number of problems associated with its acquisition for decades. When people think of "fancy rosewood", they are thinking of Brazilian rosewood. You really only see that on older instruments, like picks made out of actual turtle shell, it's been a protected material for a long time.

There are a bunch of other species of rosewood. All of which are nice, but when people talk about the prestigious stuff, they are referring to that specific species.

Guitarists tend to be pretty oblivious to the fact that any term like "mahogany" or "rosewood" doesn't refer to a single species of tree. There are 6-7 kinds of tree that fall under the label "mahogany".

How well dried and harvested it is is obviously the main factor in how good it is going to end up being for luthiery purposes, but people often preach about different "cuts" of mahogany sounding different, completely oblivious to the fact that the two kinds of mahogany they are comparing aren't the same species. Yeah, the cut makes a big difference, as well as the preparation, but the guitar world has always been full of people comparing two different kinds of wood under the assumption they are the same species.

Neither the Reverb article nor the NPR link bothered mentioning that. I don't know what the current round of upcoming rule changes are, but how it is currently is all species in the Rosewood genus are at least somewhat restricted, but some are more restricted than others.

ME: RG 1550
    MA: ROFL
    MB: Dafuq?!
    Rig: Mesa Mark IV, Recto 2x12

I'm not sure if this even is good news :/

I'm with Mpexus on this. When you have a shit-house like Harley Benton churning out guitars cheap than budget FX pedals, and 'collectors' buying 10 shit-house strat knock offs and chibsons because they are so cheap, we're gonna burn through a lot of wood that can't be replaced in our life times.

Remember that video of the gibson firebirds being destroyed? Yeah, that's probably nothing compared to the excess coming from brands like harley benton, and all of those chibson's flooding the markets.
    I DOEN A BAD MURDA.

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

I agree with all the points of "the overuse of woods is disgusting" in this thread as well. There are enough excellent instruments out there to go around.

I've bought only 4-5 new instruments in my life, much prefer buying used for a number of reasons. (Nicely made) Used guitars are more resonant and warmer anyways, because they've had a lot of time to age.

ME: RG 1550
    MA: ROFL
    MB: Dafuq?!
    Rig: Mesa Mark IV, Recto 2x12

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    I agree with all the points of "the overuse of woods is disgusting" in this thread as well. There are enough excellent instruments out there to go around.

I've bought only 4-5 new instruments in my life, much prefer buying used for a number of reasons. (Nicely made) Used guitars are more resonant and warmer anyways, because they've had a lot of time to age.
    I've had about 7 or 8 guitars in my life. 2 of which were brand new.

I've just never seen the point of buying 10 shit guitars, when for the same money you could probably get 2 very good used ones, with just as much versatility, better playability, tone, and less wastage

ME: Ibanez JEM7V
    MA: Enema Bag W/Piezo's

I'm totally not opposed to finding good wood substitutes moving forward. Also, Bob Taylor mentioned years ago that we'd start seeing striped ebony making it's way into the guitar world as a main issue with ebony was that they were disregarding all the striped stuff in favor of the solid black ebony. Striped ebony looks awesome, IMO, and I wouldn't mind at all if it were being used world-over. I'm sure it can be dyed just the same, so there shouldn't be an issue with the naysayers. I agree that we should be shying away from cutting down more and more trees. Thankfully, we're not all loony on here and can surely agree that our climate/environment needs to come first, LONG before guitars.

"It's ONE WHOLE MILLIMETER"