Some possible CITES (good) news
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 8 of 36

Thread: Some possible CITES (good) news

  1. #1


    Join Date: Dec 2013
    Location: Everett, Washington
    ME: Ibanez 540P
    MA: Ovation Celebrity CS257
    MB: Ibanez SRX2EX1
    Rig: BIAS FX

    iTrader: 0


  2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2


    Join Date: Nov 2011
    Location: Portugal

    iTrader: 0

    Because its what we need more than anything is too keep using the same materials and continue to harvest our Forests...

  4. #3


    Join Date: Apr 2015
    Location: Sweden
    ME: Solar A1.6ET
    Rig: Kemper

    iTrader: 0

    CITES was bullshit about already made and existing guitars, selling used and traveling with them. That is not a problem...

    But I don't mind if it prevents future manufacturing. There's other alternatives that look similar. I would even prefer if guitar industry started using LESS natural wood and go for more sustainable AND stable materials.

    I'm definitely NOT an expert on this.

    But I'm kind of sure that stuff like Richlite, while having glues and shit, still can make more use of less wood.
    Lots of wood is thrown away because it's not pretty or might warp due to big knots etc.
    Man-made materials doesn't have these inconsistencies and should be less wasteful of wood



    I CAN BE WRONG. Please correct me if I'm wrong

  5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4


    Join Date: Oct 2008
    Location: King of Prussia, PA
    ME: PRS CE22
    MA: Richard Cogger Classical
    MB: Fender Bulletbass
    Rig: Mesa Mark V/TA30

    iTrader: 3 (100%)

    Quote Originally Posted by mpexus View Post
    Because its what we need more than anything is too keep using the same materials and continue to harvest our Forests...
    I'm all for sustainable farming/forestry. But rosewood use for guitars is nothing compared to the furniture industry, which is really what CITES was meant to target. Think how many fretboards would go into one executive desk. I don't think there should be no regulations when it comes to musical instruments, but it's inclusion in Cites was a mistake.

  7. #5


    Join Date: Nov 2011
    Location: Portugal

    iTrader: 0

    Quote Originally Posted by bulletbass man View Post
    I'm all for sustainable farming/forestry. But rosewood use for guitars is nothing compared to the furniture industry, which is really what CITES was meant to target. Think how many fretboards would go into one executive desk. I don't think there should be no regulations when it comes to musical instruments, but it's inclusion in Cites was a mistake.
    I get that but at the same time everything counts now. Its not just because I dont throw trash into the street that I will stop doing it because im the only one so it will never matter.

    We all need to change our habits. We are already kinda fucked if we dont. We need to change NOW not in the Future.

  8. #6


    Join Date: Sep 2008
    Location: Boston, MA
    ME: Suhr Modern
    Rig: Axe-Fx II / 5150

    iTrader: 34 (100%)

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocka_Rollas View Post
    I CAN BE WRONG.

  9. #7


    Join Date: Apr 2015
    Location: Sweden
    ME: Solar A1.6ET
    Rig: Kemper

    iTrader: 0

    I have proven myself wrong many times before!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  10. #8


    Join Date: Oct 2008
    Location: King of Prussia, PA
    ME: PRS CE22
    MA: Richard Cogger Classical
    MB: Fender Bulletbass
    Rig: Mesa Mark V/TA30

    iTrader: 3 (100%)

    Quote Originally Posted by mpexus View Post
    I get that but at the same time everything counts now. Its not just because I dont throw trash into the street that I will stop doing it because im the only one so it will never matter.

    We all need to change our habits. We are already kinda fucked if we dont. We need to change NOW not in the Future.
    I'm not suggesting you just fully reverse course, but rather musical instruments need it's own set of rules and regulations more befitting of them. The guy who built my classical easily has enough rosewood at his house to build 20-30 guitar necks which for him is a lifetime supply. It's pretty dumb his customers and he have to jump thru hoops to use a product on a very small scale when the lumber has already been milled.

    Also unlike furniture musical instruments generally get resold often and often travel with it's owner. This is one of the major hurdles that heavily effect musicians under cites that could be eliminated under more specific regulation.

Tags for this Thread


Fractal Audio Systems  Shred Training  Angel Vivaldi
Bowes Guitarworks  NumbSkull Audio Production



VigLink badge