No real need, just GAS... help me dream
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: No real need, just GAS... help me dream

  1. #1


    Join Date: Oct 2016
    Location: Corpus Christi
    ME: S540LTD, JS32-7
    MB: SR305E
    Rig: 6505 412 v30 OU812

    iTrader: 0

    No real need, just GAS... help me dream

    Since moving to 7 string fixed bridges, I've found my desire to play my S540 or other 6 string trem guitars dying off. So, of course, that makes me want to get a 6-string fixed bridge I can tune down to B and outfit with a different pickup than what I have in my two 7s. I'd love a 1 hum/1 knob metal machine and love the TOM style bridges, but would be open to other options.

    Not into non-standard shapes, and honestly, really just prefer SS body types. I'd love to get a Solar, or one of the LEF Custom jobs, but being as I'm cheap, I can't imagine paying more than $4-500 for something unless I sell one of my other guitars. (although, this shape from LEF really caught my eye for some reason: Chances are I wouldn't dig playing it due to the top tailfin interfering with my forearm/elbow placement, but that shape is just cool to me.

    And this was my fave Solar, but Ola only did a handful of them:


    Under that criteria, what would you go hunting for?
    Tone Chasers Anonymous ™ - I’m not just a member, I’m the President.
    Don’t expect much, it’s not like I’m a rocket surgeon.

  2. Thanked by:


  3. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements
     

  4. #2


    Join Date: Oct 2008
    Location: Glasgow - Scotland
    ME: Suhr M5
    MB: Squire Jazz
    Rig: Mesa Mk V + Axe FX II

    iTrader: 3 (100%)

    Ibanez iron label?

  5. #3


    Join Date: Oct 2008
    Location: Daytona, FL
    ME: Charvel Strathead
    Rig: Laney Ironheart

    iTrader: 3 (100%)

    Ibanez made a couple fixed bridge Xiphos guitars a few years ago.

  6. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements
     

  7. #4


    Join Date: Oct 2016
    Location: Corpus Christi
    ME: S540LTD, JS32-7
    MB: SR305E
    Rig: 6505 412 v30 OU812

    iTrader: 0

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Ibanez iron label?
    I've only tried a few Iron Labels and didn't really dig 'em. New Ibanez just don't do much for me, which makes me sad since I've had at least one Ibby for 25 years. Might give 'em another shot though.

    Quote Originally Posted by Toshiro View Post
    Ibanez made a couple fixed bridge Xiphos guitars a few years ago.
    What I dig about the LEF is the cuts in the body, gives it a Blacky from Voi Vod feel.



    Went Pawn Shop hunting yesterday and found a Bronze Series Warlock with a Tom. Might give that a go, but not 100% sure just yet...

  8. #5


    Join Date: Feb 2013
    Location: Kansas
    ME: Ibanez RGIB6
    MA: Alvarez P.O.S.
    MB: Warwick
    Rig: Kemper

    iTrader: 0

    Since you've mentioned tuning in B, 1 volume, 1 switch, metal machine, and more into SS shapes, have you considered a baritone? Definitely not needed for B tuning, but damn, does it make a difference. I know you haven't gotten on with the Iron Labels, but the RGIB6 is definitely worth a look. EMG 81/60, 28" scale, 1 volume, 1 switch. I've got an older one that I bought new a few years ago and gave $550 for it, they can be had on Reverb for $400 and up and it's a metal machine. I can see where the 28" scale would be problematic for shredders, but I'm no shredder so it's all good, lol! No neck dive and a nice forearm cut so it's very comfortable sitting or standing. I've used mine for B tuning, drop F#, it currently resides in drop A, and rules them all with no mud and great clarity. If I was in the market, I would be looking at a Solar baritone(there's 1 on Reverb for $650), an Agile TOM 627($325 on Reverb), good deals can be had on PRS SE277's, as well as Jericho's.

  9. #6


    Join Date: Oct 2008
    Location: Glasgow - Scotland
    ME: Suhr M5
    MB: Squire Jazz
    Rig: Mesa Mk V + Axe FX II

    iTrader: 3 (100%)

    Iron labels are hit and miss but when you find s hit they are amazing value. Worth giving them another shot

  10. #7


    Join Date: Oct 2008
    Location: Manhattan
    ME: Forshage, EBMM
    MA: Blueridge BR-40
    MB: Dingwall Afterburner
    Rig: Soldano HR25, Mark V:25

    iTrader: 12 (100%)

    Schecter C-1 of some sort. TOM and usually pretty well made. Used ones can be cheap.
    Too much focus leads to tunnel vision
    Too much faith leads to religion
    Too much knowledge leads to confusion
    Too many guitar lessons lead to jazz-fusion

  11. #8


    Join Date: Oct 2016
    Location: Corpus Christi
    ME: S540LTD, JS32-7
    MB: SR305E
    Rig: 6505 412 v30 OU812

    iTrader: 0

    Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Schecter C-1 of some sort. TOM and usually pretty well made. Used ones can be cheap.
    Went out yesterday and played two different C-1s and really liked 'em. It immediately shot to top of my list. Thanks for the suggestion.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Iron labels are hit and miss but when you find s hit they are amazing value. Worth giving them another shot
    Only saw one Iron Label while I was out yesterday and it had a trem, gold hardware (yuck) and all sorts of other "no"s for me. So, I didn't even pick it up. But, if I see a hardtail one I'll give it a spin.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bohmer View Post
    Since you've mentioned tuning in B, 1 volume, 1 switch, metal machine, and more into SS shapes, have you considered a baritone? Definitely not needed for B tuning, but damn, does it make a difference. I know you haven't gotten on with the Iron Labels, but the RGIB6 is definitely worth a look. EMG 81/60, 28" scale, 1 volume, 1 switch. I've got an older one that I bought new a few years ago and gave $550 for it, they can be had on Reverb for $400 and up and it's a metal machine. I can see where the 28" scale would be problematic for shredders, but I'm no shredder so it's all good, lol! No neck dive and a nice forearm cut so it's very comfortable sitting or standing. I've used mine for B tuning, drop F#, it currently resides in drop A, and rules them all with no mud and great clarity. If I was in the market, I would be looking at a Solar baritone(there's 1 on Reverb for $650), an Agile TOM 627($325 on Reverb), good deals can be had on PRS SE277's, as well as Jericho's.
    Don't think I've ever tried a baritone, but based on what you're saying and your SAW entries, I think our tastes are very similar (I'm no shredder either, strictly a rhythm guy). Might have to go find a few baritones to try in the local shops. Thx!

Tags for this Thread


Fractal Audio Systems  Shred Training  Angel Vivaldi
Bowes Guitarworks  NumbSkull Audio Production



VigLink badge