New Custom Space Age Ergonomic Guitar Throne Day - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Custom Space Age Ergonomic Guitar Throne Day

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

My favorite part of that video is the Al DiMeola Look of Supreme Self-Satisfaction that you throw here and there. Goes perfect with the shades. Only missing the disco shirt and chain.

That chair is a great idea. I use an old Office Depot office/gamer chair that is partially functional but does have armrests that fold up. I need to have a reclining function for when I'm relaxing in the middle of late-night sessions of trying to make my drums sound like something other than crap.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonplayer View Post
    My favorite part of that video is the Al DiMeola Look of Supreme Self-Satisfaction that you throw here and there. Goes perfect with the shades. Only missing the disco shirt and chain.

That chair is a great idea. I use an old Office Depot office/gamer chair that is partially functional but does have armrests that fold up. I need to have a reclining function for when I'm relaxing in the middle of late-night sessions of trying to make my drums sound like something other than crap.

People mistake that style for aviators, but they are actually called "Glacier Glasses". Al Di Meola switched to like, standard Ray-Bans or whatever later, but the iconic ones are definitely speciality mountaineering glasses. The lens color is so you can like, see where to swing your ice ax or something.

(on the right)

Supposedly they were developed in the Swiss Alps for extreme mountaineering and skiiers who for some reason don't want to wear goggles, but realisitically they are only used by drug dealers from 80s Miami and people playing guitar indoors. The only time you will ever see them used for mountaineering is if a James Bond movie has a mountaineering scene.

There was also a very brief period where Kerry King tried to make wraparound one piece Sportsfishing/Flyfishing/Biking glasses cool for playing guitar in, but it never took off, and he switched back to lame "The Matrix" sunglasses indoors.

Kerry King kind of pretends that era doesn't exist. Since his custom ESP from that time was literally a combination crackle/tiger finish, although the one above is just a straight tiger, which doesn't exactly scream "tough guy".

Also, Yngwie has obviously done the Glacier Glasses from time to time, although he has the worlds largest collection of indoor sunglasses spanning a variety of different styles.

You can tell what mood Yngwie is in by his sunglasses. When he wants to seem like his music is more timeless he switches to fucking godawful oversized circular Ozzy ones. He likes to wear those when he wants to send the message he has aged gracefully.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

Underappreciated is the effect of your chair on your recorded tone. From watching the video, I can tell that chair has noticeable low-midrange growl and a sizzle in the uppermids.
    Argbadh - RHLC©

ME: Solar A1.6ET
    Rig: Kemper

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    '89-'90 Ontario Soloist. Super sick guitar. Had it for a little over a year now.

If I was ordering it the only thing I would do differently is reversed stock and reversed inlays, maybe in phenolic yellow. But I specifically like getting the used ones from '88-'91, so those are minor quibbles.

You have no fucking clue how long I had to wait for one in yellow to come up for sale. I've had a lot of killer Ontario orders, but this one is my favorite. Unrecessed trem with the pull up route, which is my favorite set up. I've got the new-ish EMG Super 77 or whatever in the bridge, great pickup. It's got the little recessed sculpt on the horn too, which is always a plus.

Vintage Jacksons/Charvels will always be my favorite, but these days my #1 is the '82 E2. The Soloist is a close second though. I have to get it refretted. The explorer has EVOs, which are sick. Frets in the soloist are stock, and somewhat worn obviously.

Planning on dropping a Schaller sure claw in there too. Need to get around to that.
    So nice. Agreed with reverse headstock, of course

But... what the flying fuck is up with the intonation points

I suppose it works since you got it that way, but I've NEVER seen a guitar adjusted like that any time before.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Underappreciated is the effect of your chair on your recorded tone. From watching the video, I can tell that chair has noticeable low-midrange growl and a sizzle in the uppermids.
    I haven't gotten around to worrying about recorded guitar tone yet. I just use Toontracks VH amp sim or Recab 4 for scratch tracks. That's the last part I'll worry about. I'm still like, panning harmonized theremin parts and shit.

I did recently switch to these though, and they kick ass. I've used Jazz III XLs for fucking years, tried other things, but they never stick, these are the first thing that's actually replaced them for me.

Great picks, I believe I heard about them in a thread on here, but I can't remember which one.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocka_Rollas View Post
    So nice. Agreed with reverse headstock, of course

But... what the flying fuck is up with the intonation points

I suppose it works since you got it that way, but I've NEVER seen a guitar adjusted like that any time before.
    Good eye.

It's not intonated correctly actually, Usually on the older Schaller OFR/ JT-590 trems the intonation hex bolts are stripped or near when you get them, I just replaced these with new ones last week and just put the saddles back on. Took everything apart and cleaned it and shit like that.

I will say though, that using DR strings compared to D'addarios, it does sometimes end up with something weird. D'addarios are definitely the easiest to intonate and the best at stability. I have GHS strings on the Explorer and DRs on other shit, and they do tend to end up in "weirder" positions than D'addarios.

ME: Ibanez RG 550
    MB: Sandberg Ken Taylor 5
    Rig: Diezel Herbert

Ola had them in a comparison video. I've been using the Beartrucci model Flow for a bit and prefer the wear characteristics over my old bulk buy, Ultex Sharp 2.0s.