New Custom Space Age Ergonomic Guitar Throne Day
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Custom Space Age Ergonomic Guitar Throne Day

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

New Custom Space Age Ergonomic Guitar Throne Day

If there's one thing that unites us as guitarists, it's the lifelong quest to find the perfect guitar chair. It's hard to find one that ticks all the boxes, maybe it's uncomfortable, maybe it's from Staples, a store everyone knows is for posers, maybe it has arm rests that limit you to only playing lame shapes, like Strandbergs or whatever.

That sounds like an infomercial pitch, and you probably think I'm about to sell you something. But I'm not. (Not until I get the influencers to endorse it anyways.)

So anyways, there's been this rowing machine from the 90s that I've looked at and thought "that seat is so fucking sick, that's like, a space captain level chair, some serious Star Trek shit, I bet it's perfect for playing guitar in" for what can only be described as a "long ass time".

I've never got around to actually turning it into a guitar chair. Because I thought "what if the urge to row on the rowing machine strikes me?". Now for those of you who don't know about Rowing Machines, they all fucking suck. But anything made before like, 2004, is pretty much classified as a torture device under the Geneva conventions. The ones with the cord you see at the gym are for pussies. The heavy duty ones have hydraulic pistons and shit, which this one had, but the problem with that is it feels nothing like rowing a boat through water, more like rowing through concrete.

So anyways, since I'm slowly setting my new space up I was like, "It's time to finally disassemble that piece of shit and make a fucking awesome guitar chair."

The wood blocks between the rowing machine chair and the vintage 70s base which is a fucking hideous shade or green were selected for maximum tone, as well as supple shock absorbance, and the old '70s heavy duty base need to be painted with some colorful Rustoleum so it doesn't look like something made from parts cannabalized from other things (which is what it is of course), but other than that it works like a charm.

Here is a brief video of it in use. Not that long, because I'm still figuring out how to mix my material that has Hammond B3, Choirs, and Theremin. But you know, if I didn't include a video people would be like, "That's not the ultimate guitar chair". The parts with the guitar double tracked aren't particularly tight, but I didn't track with headphones or any of the conditions (cord instead of wireless, no reverb on the mix, etc.) usually present for a serious go. In terms of tracking this new chair is definitely almost as important a part of my signal chain as my sick ass Miami Vice 80s Bolle prescription glasses I wear to feel the vibe, which I can technically wear inside without being a douche, because they are prescription (not my prescription, but close enough) and they fall on the spectrum in between sunglasses and regular glasses occupied by well known 80s cult leaders, and the neoprene fitness instructor belt I ordered off Amazon prime to house my Boss Wireless unit, since no company makes one intended for mounting on a guitar strap yet.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Solar A1.6ET
    Rig: Kemper

I don't care about chairs.

What the fuck is that yellow HS Jackson on the wall

Quote Originally Posted by Rocka_Rollas View Post
    I don't care about chairs.

What the fuck is that yellow HS Jackson on the wall
    '89-'90 Ontario Soloist. Super sick guitar. Had it for a little over a year now.

If I was ordering it the only thing I would do differently is reversed stock and reversed inlays, maybe in phenolic yellow. But I specifically like getting the used ones from '88-'91, so those are minor quibbles.

You have no fucking clue how long I had to wait for one in yellow to come up for sale. I've had a lot of killer Ontario orders, but this one is my favorite. Unrecessed trem with the pull up route, which is my favorite set up. I've got the new-ish EMG Super 77 or whatever in the bridge, great pickup. It's got the little recessed sculpt on the horn too, which is always a plus.

Vintage Jacksons/Charvels will always be my favorite, but these days my #1 is the '82 E2. The Soloist is a close second though. I have to get it refretted. The explorer has EVOs, which are sick. Frets in the soloist are stock, and somewhat worn obviously.

Planning on dropping a Schaller sure claw in there too. Need to get around to that.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ibanez RG 550
    MB: Sandberg Ken Taylor 5
    Rig: Diezel Herbert

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    my sick ass Miami Vice 80s Bolle prescription glasses I wear to feel the vibe, which I can technically wear inside without being a douche, because they are prescription (not my prescription, but close enough) and they fall on the spectrum in between sunglasses and regular glasses occupied by well known 80s cult leaders, and the neoprene fitness instructor belt I ordered off Amazon prime to house my Boss Wireless unit, since no company makes one intended for mounting on a guitar strap yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
    Boss doesn't make any cases that mount to your strap, and even the ones that would kind of work with a slight modification on a 2" strap are out of the question because I use 3" cliplocks on both my main ones. Pretty much all the wireless holsters are for 2" straps.

So I'm stuck with trying to feel metal with this.

ME: Suhr Modern
    Rig: Axe-Fx II / 5150

Bobby Brown pulled it off. Kinda.

ME: Ibanez RG 550
    MB: Sandberg Ken Taylor 5
    Rig: Diezel Herbert

Oh, I was still laughing about the sunglasses not actually being to your prescription when I got to the part of the sentence with the belt!

ME: Les Paul
    MB: Precision
    Rig: Sunn

In all seriousness, that does look awesome. It's also extremely close to the kind of chair I could do with for my office/guitar hole which is far too small for the amount of gear that I have in there.