Guitar Workbench/Neck Cleaning Restringing Jig Project - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Guitar Workbench/Neck Cleaning Restringing Jig Project

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Listening to Stormwitch and wrapping this up.

A few more holes have to be drilled and shit, and all the grommets and metal hardware (besides the threaded bits and nuts that only come in regular nickel and shouldn't be gunked up with enamel) are going to be painted espresso brown, although at a later date I might redo them in black. Didn't have any on hand.

Besides chamfering edges and some light sanding and the second coat of paint and then clear coating it's pretty much done.

Came together a lot better than I was expecting.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Schecter KM-7 mk iii
    MA: Wasburn D12S
    Rig: Orange Brent Hinds Terror

That is pretty cool and a lot better than my typical solution - Rolled up tshirt for "neck support" on top of XL Gaming mouse matt.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Vegetta View Post
    That is pretty cool and a lot better than my typical solution - Rolled up tshirt for "neck support" on top of XL Gaming mouse matt.
    Thanks dude!

The rolled up towel or whatever is definitely a classic. I've seen some cork sniffery options too. Like beams of wood or whatever. For $60 though it's like, fuck I would rather just make my own heavy duty shit then get one wimpy beam of wood for under the nut portion of the neck. What's always pissed me off, for as long as I've been playing guitar, is that if you are doing something like fret polishing or fret leveling or fretboard oiling, with a lot of back and forth movement, the headstock is just like, sloppily waving around. You don't have enough hands to hold everything steady. So I was like, "Shit, it's time to finally do something about it. I only have to build one of these once and I'm good."

Finished all the hard parts tonight. Hopefully this sort of demonstrates how it works for the guys wondering about the height adjustment. The body platform has four posts, one at each corner, and there are four bolts/nuts/whatever (experimenting with hardware right now, so as you can see they don't match).

I was bummed that I had to use a nice piece of wood to raise the neck yokes, but I wanted solid hard wood reinforcement there. I don't know if I'll paint that red, the colors are going to be red and brown and gold, so maybe a brown trans on the neck support beam and I'll chamfer the edges of the red panel to natural and do those in the same "Early American" trans brown min-wax shit.

The height adjustable setting is kind of a pain, but anything more user friendly wouldn't have been as secure as good old fashioned heavy duty bolts in my book. There are also two holes in the bass layer for bolting it to a base/workbench. There's enough metal on the bottom that it's pretty stable when freestanding, but better safe than sorry. It would be sloppy to not have that option for extra security.

Still a shitload of stuff to do, sourcing the optimal hardware, doing more finish work, painting. cleaning up, lining the top of the body platform and the inside of the yolks with some sort of cloth, etc. etc. But I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I got kind of lucky in that I was able to more or less wing the design and it ended up working out.

It's definitely going to be heavy duty enough to be usable for lots of shit. I've seen the other options, and they just seem kind of wimpy. I wanted something that is just like, "Whenever you hate to work on your guitar, put it in here, instead of finding a table or sofa or whatever".

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

I remember Al (AVH) had a really sick workbench you could flip up into playing position for refrets and stuff, but I haven't seen him around these parts in forever, his site is down too.

Which is a fucking shame, he's definitely one of the most knowledgeable guys on these boards when it comes to shit like that, anyone know what he's up to these days? avhguitarrepair.com is down.

ME: Caparison/Parker
    Rig: Sweet FA

That looks pretty fucking awesome

I mish AVH too
    I'm so metal I shit bats