More homemade shit, this one has been gestating for a while. I just got around to painting it today.
Basically, there were some nice panels of furniture grade pine left over from a contracting project I was doing, and I was doing my quarterly "restring/oil/gorgomyte" on the soloist and two and two kind of came together. I've always done guitar work on a thick Tibetan rug that an acquaintance apparently bought from the trunk of a traveling tibetan monk and gave me as a gift, but it hasn't been cutting it for vigorous stuff like gorgomyting, that involves a lot of back and forth motions. I've never been happy with the lack of neck support for my angled neck guitars with that setup. I know some companies do corksniffery bullshit neck supports, but those are expensive for what you get, and not heavy duty enough for me.
Originally, it was just going to be the furniture grade pine and one yolk for the neck, but I realized with a variety of neck angles, and if ever wanted to do something more delicate like a classical, I would need a panel that was pitch adjustable to provide solid support from the body instead of just having and edge of it making contact with the main board and the rest kind of floating in the air. That would be too much stress on the neck. The pitch adjustable panel supporting the body is mounted on threaded sections, so you can adjust the height of each point. It's not lowered in this photo.
There were two identical panels of pine, so I'm going to get some supports and mount the other one like a foot below it, so it's storage space for parts boxes and soldering irons and shit like that.
I didn't originally want to paint it red, because the grain on the pine was fucking great. But the yolk grain didn't match at all, and the pitch adjustable panel didn't match. I was also worried about raw/minimally finished wood chipping finishes if I did that for the yolk, so I was thinking of plasti-dipping the interior parts of the yolks that made contact with the neck or something. But the red paint I have loads of on hand is pretty thick/plasticy stuff, and if you hit something with a couple layers it's close enough to plasti-dip to work.
I realized after the concept evolved to include the height/pitch adjustable panel for body support that I should have also made the neck yolk supports height adjustable, but by then I was too far along to change.