Guitar Workbench/Neck Cleaning Restringing Jig Project
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guitar Workbench/Neck Cleaning Restringing Jig Project

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Guitar Workbench/Neck Cleaning Restringing Jig Project

More homemade shit, this one has been gestating for a while. I just got around to painting it today.

Basically, there were some nice panels of furniture grade pine left over from a contracting project I was doing, and I was doing my quarterly "restring/oil/gorgomyte" on the soloist and two and two kind of came together. I've always done guitar work on a thick Tibetan rug that an acquaintance apparently bought from the trunk of a traveling tibetan monk and gave me as a gift, but it hasn't been cutting it for vigorous stuff like gorgomyting, that involves a lot of back and forth motions. I've never been happy with the lack of neck support for my angled neck guitars with that setup. I know some companies do corksniffery bullshit neck supports, but those are expensive for what you get, and not heavy duty enough for me.

Originally, it was just going to be the furniture grade pine and one yolk for the neck, but I realized with a variety of neck angles, and if ever wanted to do something more delicate like a classical, I would need a panel that was pitch adjustable to provide solid support from the body instead of just having and edge of it making contact with the main board and the rest kind of floating in the air. That would be too much stress on the neck. The pitch adjustable panel supporting the body is mounted on threaded sections, so you can adjust the height of each point. It's not lowered in this photo.

There were two identical panels of pine, so I'm going to get some supports and mount the other one like a foot below it, so it's storage space for parts boxes and soldering irons and shit like that.

I didn't originally want to paint it red, because the grain on the pine was fucking great. But the yolk grain didn't match at all, and the pitch adjustable panel didn't match. I was also worried about raw/minimally finished wood chipping finishes if I did that for the yolk, so I was thinking of plasti-dipping the interior parts of the yolks that made contact with the neck or something. But the red paint I have loads of on hand is pretty thick/plasticy stuff, and if you hit something with a couple layers it's close enough to plasti-dip to work.

I realized after the concept evolved to include the height/pitch adjustable panel for body support that I should have also made the neck yolk supports height adjustable, but by then I was too far along to change.

2. Thanked by:

3. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: RGIT27FE / Carvin DC
    MB: American Jazz Deluxe
    Rig: AxeFXII - Matrix - Vader

Looks pretty outstanding. Are the yokes just v-ish shaped so the neck slides in as far as it needs to and rests on friction?

Makes me want to build something similar. I’m usually lazy and just have it on my lap on the couch or on my desktop at the practice space

Quote Originally Posted by ChainOfThought View Post
    Looks pretty outstanding. Are the yokes just v-ish shaped so the neck slides in as far as it needs to and rests on friction?

Makes me want to build something similar. I’m usually lazy and just have it on my lap on the couch or on my desktop at the practice space
    More of a C or D shape really, I need to do new ones and have them be height adjustable, the original plan didn't involve the additional platform for body support.

6. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: RGIT27FE / Carvin DC
    MB: American Jazz Deluxe
    Rig: AxeFXII - Matrix - Vader

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    More of a C or D shape really, I need to do new ones and have them be height adjustable, the original plan didn't involve the additional platform for body support.
    Yeah, my first thought on doing one myself was more of an open cradle for the neck, like a wood block with just a slight contour to keep it centered. Then just put that on a threaded rod or something of the sort.

I think I would also either build in some sort of ‘optionsl’ Riser for turning the guitar over to work on the back/electronics without it resting on the switch/bridge.

We’ll see if I ever get around to building one....

ME: Caparison/Parker
    Rig: Sweet FA

That's really cool Garrett. Any chance of a pic of the height adjustment setup?
    I'm so metal I shit bats

ME: Suhr Modern
    Rig: Fractal / Kemper / 5150

Slap some svelte felt in those neck holders.

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    That's really cool Garrett. Any chance of a pic of the height adjustment setup?
    That part in the OP is only the top section, all the height and pitch adjustment bits are just simple thread and bolt assemblies. the bolts on either side stop downward and upward movement when you have the height at the right spot, so each height adjustable section has four corners, that can be lowered or raised. The holes the bolts go through on the platform have to be widened and filled with metal grommets/inserts, so the thread doesn't tear up the wood every time a height adjustment is made. There are six threaded posts total, four up top, and two bigger ones on bottom.

That's the body section. up top, the bottom section only has two height adjustment parts, so you can angle the main panel so the body of the guitar is lower than the neck. That serious looking piece of metal is strong but has a lot of flex. Gotta paint all the serious looking pieces black rustoleum of course. It's obviously slightly misaligned here, as you can see from the uncomfortably angled threaded portion, the flexy strut needs to be bent slightly differently.

Far from finished. The large pieces of metal. obviously need to be painted. Originally the bottom section was just going to be the identical panel, and I would bolt it to a more stable platform when in use, but it was really too tippy. The wood panels aren't heavy enough.

I didn't want to use that much metal hardware on the bottom, but it's solid shit, and any extra weight down there is good.

Originally the bottom section was going to be significantly less intense, really just a place to store things/tools and park a soldering iron, but it needed significantly more than just the matching panel to be stable, and ideally, when it's in use it should be bolted/clamped/affixed to a larger table.

I have to go to a hardware store and source nicer hardware. I just used whatever I had on hand.

The bolts aren't the most elegant solution, but it's fool proof, they hold up well to real use. I suppose a more sophisticated height adjustment set up could have involved ball and sockets and crane style arms, but you can't really easily find ball and socket joints that can support the weight of a guitar being worked on.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Slap some svelte felt in those neck holders.
    Shit, that's a great idea. I should do the top of the body platform in it too.

I might have to look into leather.