NGD: NSLAESPLTDEC1000T - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NGD: NSLAESPLTDEC1000T

ME: CS USA Soloist 7
    MA: Ovation Elite Standard
    Rig: Mesa Triple Rec

For the record, I like the 6 string 57 quite a bit.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

EMGs new PAF retroactives fucking rule. Favorite pickup of mine. I forget which ones I have. Either the 70 or the 77. https://www.emgpickups.com/guitar/retro-active.html

Can't go wrong with the 81 though. I still have two different 81s going. Had to go back to the 81 in my Explorer even though I preferred the Retroactive but their non f spaced version was too closely spaced for actual gibson spacing, so I went back to an 81 on the explorer. You won't hear any complaints from me on that one. Always in use among a lot of people who actually play metal, instead of nitpicking shit about magnets on line.

Best EMG you can get in the neck is the H or the HA. Those are just the S and the SA in humbucker housings. For anything that's not metal you can't beat the S and the SA. I'm not big on neck humbuckers anyways, would much prefer singles. If the S and the SA are good enough for guys like Gilmour or Knopfler, they are good enough for anyone. https://www.emgpickups.com/guitar/h.html

If you can't get the H, 60 is the best neck humbucker EMG makes. Don't really like the 57/66 stuff, the Retroactives are way better.

18 volt on everything of course. Most of the people who bitch about the 81 have shitty picking technique IMO. I've never gotten the hate. Yeah, it's a bright pickup. Deal with it. I honestly can't even tell the difference on my guitar tracks though. I had stuff with Black Winters and SD Customs and it sounded the exact same to me. Fucking hate the 85 though, in the neck and in the bridge. Most of the 81 hate is just people looking for their first serious guitar, and they go into guitar center and pick up some shitty thing off the wall with an 81 stock and that is their first and only impression of the pickup. Looking for their first serious "metal" guitar when they are still using like, shitty fender celluloid picks meant for "general strumming" into a shitty guitar center set up for 5 minutes.

Not crazy on LTDs though, should have got an AT. In terms of Korean stuff I like B.C. Riches circa 2012-2013 offerings best, though Schecters are always great value. In terms of ATs I try to stay away from ebay these days, but I saw a nice JA build up for sale recently, though I wouldn't spend what the guy was asking.

On the topic of EMGs, the other thing I just don't get about them period is the "run them as close to the string as possible in height" shit. EMG even says that in some of their manuals. I drop my 81s quite a bit, they definitely aren't as close to the string as possible.

ME: Gibson SG
    Rig: Pedals -> Dark Terror

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonplayer View Post
    I've got a couple guitars with 57s in the bridge (one also has the 66 in the neck), and they peg the input meter on my AFX2 way more than the 81 does. Since I've got a spare 57, I'll probably plop it in the bridge position of this guitar at some point and give it a shot, but the 81 suits this guitar well, and the 60 is fantastic for neck-position soloing.
    I had a 57/66 set in my Xtone and they sounded great, but were so ridiculously loud (not necessarily compressed, they just put out an insane amount of volume). I'm pretty "set it and forget it" with my stuff so I couldn't get along with the huge volume jump compared to my other guitars. I switched it to an 85/81 (85 in the bridge) I had kicking around and that balances a lot better with my passive guitars.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    I had a 57/66 set in my Xtone and they sounded great, but were so ridiculously loud (not necessarily compressed, they just put out an insane amount of volume). I'm pretty "set it and forget it" with my stuff so I couldn't get along with the huge volume jump compared to my other guitars. I switched it to an 85/81 (85 in the bridge) I had kicking around and that balances a lot better with my passive guitars.
    I'm getting along with their output now--it helps that I only do recording and can set the input gain on my rig to the desired level. They sound great once dialed in. Pretty much instant Loomis tone.

The only pickups I've ever played with higher output than the 57/66 are the original Duncan Blackouts, which are essentially like installing a gain pedal in your guitar.