NGD: NSLAESPLTDEC1000T
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NGD: NSLAESPLTDEC1000T

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

NGD: NSLAESPLTDEC1000T

So, I sold my Heritage H-157 awhile back because the damn thing was an 11 lb. boat anchor that killed my back, and a zillion pickup changes never got it where I wanted to be.

Nevertheless, I've been wanting a "metal Les Paul" lately, and I found this sucker on Reverb for a ridiculous price ($465.00):

NGD: NSLAESPLTDEC1000T-2019-10-23-18-12-39-jpgNGD: NSLAESPLTDEC1000T-2019-10-23-18-12-42-jpgNGD: NSLAESPLTDEC1000T-2019-10-23-18-12-50-jpgNGD: NSLAESPLTDEC1000T-2019-10-23-18-12-54-jpg

It's a 2017 ESP LTD EC-1000T/CTM, Korean-made. Basically, it's the full-thickness version of the Eclipse with an ebony board, locking tuners and EMG 81/60 combo. This one has everything an LPC does except for MOP inlays. It's not chambered and comes in at about 9 lbs. I believe the top is mahogany rather than maple (like the original 1950s LPCs).

The current model of this is the EC-1001T/CTM, but they moved production to Indonesia. The new ones have chambered bodies, maple tops and EMG 57/66 in place of the 81/60.

I was all prepared to switch the pickups to 57/66, but doing a comparison with another guitar I have with the 57/66 combo, I find that the 81/60 really is a better sounding combo. The output on the 57/66 is way too hot, and they just seem to be mud no matter what (or kind of dull if you really cut the amp gain).

I'm tracking a bunch of metal right now, and the 81 just seems to work right for what I'm doing. Leave it to me to go to EMGs when everyone else here seems to be moving to old man PAFs.

The workmanship on this is really good. I've been hesitant about buying LTDs over the years, but this one is a killer guitar.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: PRS
    MB: VM Jazz
    Rig: JCM800

Congrats, those are solid

ME: Ibanez 540P
    MA: Ovation Celebrity CS257
    MB: Ibanez SRX2EX1
    Rig: BIAS FX

Funny timing. I was just watching a gear rig rundown for Death Angel's Ted Aguilar this morning and your catch sounds a lot like his signature guitar (even down to the 81/60 PUP combo):

Sweet either way!

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Gibson SG
    Rig: Pedals -> Dark Terror

Those are great. I'd really like to get an MIK one while you can still find them new.

ME: Washburn N7
    Rig: Peavey 5150

That’s a great price. Pretty strange to hear the 57/66 is too hot and muddy as an 81/60 set is way hotter. If I were you I would swap them in the LTD and see how they sound. They are just plug and play. Also I have several top end LTD’s and they are all solid builds. You really can’t go wrong with them.

Quote Originally Posted by scole View Post
    Funny timing. I was just watching a gear rig rundown for Death Angel's Ted Aguilar this morning and your catch sounds a lot like his signature guitar (even down to the 81/60 PUP combo):
    I like what he did with his sig, but it has some important differences from the EC-1000T. It has an 85 in the neck, and it's a stringthru rather than a using a tailpiece. The latter is important to me, as I'm very picky about string tension these days (less is better), and LP-style tailpieces can be raised to reduce the break angle over the saddles and lower the string tension. That's how I get away with playing 10s.

Also, his has 24 frets. I don't like the way 24-fret Eclipses balance, and I also prefer the deeper tone of neck pickups on 22-fret guitars. The 85 probably sounds better in the neck position on his guitar than the 60 would.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    That’s a great price. Pretty strange to hear the 57/66 is too hot and muddy as an 81/60 set is way hotter. If I were you I would swap them in the LTD and see how they sound. They are just plug and play. Also I have several top end LTD’s and they are all solid builds. You really can’t go wrong with them.
    I've got a couple guitars with 57s in the bridge (one also has the 66 in the neck), and they peg the input meter on my AFX2 way more than the 81 does. Since I've got a spare 57, I'll probably plop it in the bridge position of this guitar at some point and give it a shot, but the 81 suits this guitar well, and the 60 is fantastic for neck-position soloing.

ME: Authentic Les Paul
    MA: Les Paul

Absolutely sweet axe man

By the way, I'm rethinking the EMG 57/66 thing. I put a spare 57 into the LTD, and it absolutely crushes. Sounds quite a bit different than the one in my Soloist SLXT, contrary to the usual notion that EMGs sound the same in any guitar. The key is that I turn down the input gain on the AFX2 by about 1.5 dB. Eliminates the mud and turns into a hot-rodded PAF. Very chunky.