KM7 transparent white turned yellow? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: KM7 transparent white turned yellow?

ME: LTD H7, S540LTD
    MB: SR305E
    Rig: Helix

Here's his 6 and 7 side by side to show the difference:

Tone Chasers Anonymous ™ - I’m not just a member, I’m the President.
    Don’t expect much, it’s not like I’m a rocket surgeon.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Wolfgang
    MA: Grandpas guitarz
    MB: lol
    Rig: EVH

Well it looks like you'll have to sort through them and find one thats the way you want. I looked online and also see it vary a bit. FWIW they are a bunch of them out there to be had and seem pretty cool.
    Vag Jackson, Man Of Action

ME: Schecter KM-7 mk iii
    MA: Wasburn D12S
    Rig: Orange Brent Hinds Terror

They had issues with the first batch of those turning yellow. Keith talked about it over on the KM thread on 7

That finish was an absolute nightmare at first. It was a bit ambitious. The early ones turned yellow-ish after about a year. They changed it almost immediately, but a handful of the early ones, including my proto guitars, have a "vintage white" tint to them. Once they amended the finish, they got a lot more consistent. That's one of the toughest finishes to get right. There's a lot of variables to it. That's why I didn't do any of the later models in trans white. We might bring it back on a USA model at some point though
    If it was me I would go for it if the price was right. I love my MKiii.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

I've seen photos of white ESP Eclipses getting blotchy yellow spots. At least this one is consistent. I thought that only happened with lacquer finishes, but there you go.

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

In the interest of full disclosure (since we're talking about yellowing finishes in general now), a lot of "vintage white" or white guitars that turn "vintage white" look that way because of the nitro. The nitro comes out of the can yellowish, but it also thins, yellows itself and also does very little UV blocking, the combination of which has a substantial, multiplied yellowing effect.

With regard to the KM, I'd be less offended by the yellow tint and more concerned with it being a "trans white" over flamed maple thats almost invisible. I mean, if you like subtle then cool but that seems like a waste of figured wood.
    Argbadh - RHLC©

ME: LTD H7, S540LTD
    MB: SR305E
    Rig: Helix

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I'd just get a different one since these are a dime a dozen and nothing holds its value less than a potentially fucked up Schecter.
    You just might be right - now I'm suffering from misplaced GAS...

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis9K View Post
    Just gonna throw in my experience with this guitar in there. Mine did come from Schecter with a yellowish tint to it but how they are photographed can either really amplify it or completely hide it. It's one of the hardest to photograph guitars I own. Honestly I don't have many photos of it because I trash any of the ones that come out too yellow and only keep the ones that really make the white pop out. I got mine when they were released. Non smoker. Kept in guitar rack out of direct sunlight.

The photos are just to show how varied lighting can make it look but at the end of the day with it in your hands it definitely feels a little yellowed and not a brilliant bright white. It hasn't gotten any worse since the day I bought it but it was a little disappointing that it wasn't as white as I thought it was going to be. Still plays and sounds great though.
    Thanks! How do you like it overall after all this time? This one is a metal machine. Can't beat the features, playability, etc. but that color...

Quote Originally Posted by bigdave View Post
    Well it looks like you'll have to sort through them and find one thats the way you want. I looked online and also see it vary a bit. FWIW they are a bunch of them out there to be had and seem pretty cool.
    Yeah, I missed out on another one, but they do seem to come and go pretty frequently. Widening my search now. I'd really prefer another Jackson, but just can't find one that's a neck thru, hardtail that I like with the same features in the same price range.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegetta View Post
    They had issues with the first batch of those turning yellow. Keith talked about it over on the KM thread on 7

If it was me I would go for it if the price was right. I love my MKiii.
    Thanks for that - I went over and found the original post from Keith and asked if there was a way to revert it. Also reached out to Schecter, but have radio silence from both so far...

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    In the interest of full disclosure (since we're talking about yellowing finishes in general now), a lot of "vintage white" or white guitars that turn "vintage white" look that way because of the nitro. The nitro comes out of the can yellowish, but it also thins, yellows itself and also does very little UV blocking, the combination of which has a substantial, multiplied yellowing effect.
    That could be. What I've heard is the first batch of these had too much clear coat put on too fast. A friend of the owner who is a pro wood worker had us try some 0000 steel wool on it, which did help some, but it's still yellow. And, while cleaning it up, you can clearly see some minor runs in the lower layers of clear which would back the too much too fast theory...

ME: Blackmachine
    Rig: Helix/Matrix/Zilla

Garrett, that Loomis still has a McMaple fretboard It's certainly hasn't changed colour over the years though.

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Quote Originally Posted by Blankplank View Post
    Garrett, that Loomis still has a McMaple fretboard It's certainly hasn't changed colour over the years though.
    Do you still have that? It came like that new, I got it new off Amazon Prime. Last extended range guitar I ship overseas.

I bought a Schecter C-1 off Amazon at the same time (this was during Chris's obscure "posting a thread everytime there was a ridiculously sick guitar deal on Amazon Prime" phase in like ~2013) that had pre nicotine stained inlays.

Chris had one of those too, although I don't have mine anymore and I think he sold his or gave it away or something.

It was a hell of a deal for like $270 or something, and a great guitar, but the fucking "nicotine stained" inlays were a total dealbreaker.

I am 100% unsurprised that Schecter is still offering things that should be white that are hideously yellowed new from the factory. That was a great guitar too, but you would have had to pry out the inlays and replace them with mother of pearl or actual white clay dots or something to make it playable.

The Loomis's had the "yellowed vintage maple" tint thing which Fender does on some of their reissue shit with vintage correct radiuses and stuff. But Schecter apparently never got the memo that A) It's fucking hideous even on those guitars B) It's only kind of acceptable if the maple has a gloss finish. No one wants a matter finished maple neck that has been yellowed.

Fractal Audio Systems  Shred Training  Angel Vivaldi
Bowes Guitarworks  NumbSkull Audio Production

VigLink badge