Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Dave Mustaine selling items on reverb, including desirable rackmount surge protector

10K views 105 replies 30 participants last post by  1 
#1 ·

https://reverb.com/news/official-dave-mustaine-reverb-shop-preview

I already have a rackmount "power conditioner", and have owned a couple of the Furman PL-8cs, but damn it, I've been waiting for that to come up.

I can't count the number of times I've said, "My tone is pretty good, but it would be even better if I had the legendary sound of Dave Mustaine's power conditioner used on the landmark guest appearance on Vimic's 'Fail Me (My Temple)'.

I'm not saying it's a shitty selection of items, but the fact a power conditioner was billed so highly is a little weird.

*Not the place for talk about whether the Furman PL-8 is technically a full fledged power conditioner or more of a glorified rack mount power strip/surge protector. Since it's either a high end rackmount power strip/surge protector or a low end power conditioner, depending on who you ask. Unless it is in the context of the tone it imparted on Dave Mustaine's legendary guest appearance on the Vimic track "Fail Me (My Temple)."

See less See more
1 1
#2 ·
Also, fair warning, if any of you try to buy the legendary Dave Mustaine power conditioner used on his landmark guest appearance on Vimic's "Fail Me (My Temple)" out from under me we will no longer be on speaking terms.

That's all mine. I've dibs'd it. I already called my banker and was like, "Free up some funds, liquidate some stocks, I need as much liquidity as possible to buy Dave Mustaine's used surge protector" and I'm currently pre-emptively taking out an insurance policy on it.

#8 ·
I like the "1987 Dean Dave Mustaine Signature Holy Grail V".

Not only was Dave Mustaine not with Dean in '87, in '87 Dean didn't make guitars that looked anything like that.

"1987" is the model name, which is annoying and misleading. It's actually a 201x 1987 Dean Dave Mustaine Signature Holy Grail V.

It makes the list look fancier though. Considering the majority of the other items are like, shitty budget zoom pedals he had laying around.

I like how all the aggregators and shit though have that at the top, "Dave is selling his 1987 V".

That is a lot less impressive when you realize "1987" is the model name and not the year it was made.

Another classic case of Dave Mustaine trying to ret-con history. Obviously he played Jacksons and B.C. Riches around that era, but he's tried to wipe out all the mentions of his association with Jackson Stalin style since he is still bitter about the whole, "Dave Mustaine tried to buy the Jackson brand when they were up for sale, but it sold to FMIC instead, and Dave was so bitter he switched to a much shittier brand".

There's actually a grand total of 0 items any hardcore Dave Mustaine fanboys would be interested in. There's no legendary stuff like the CAE 3+ preamps from his Rust In Peace era rack rig.

#24 ·
I wouldn’t mind the Peace Sells drumkit but only because of the bass drum graphic head.

This seems to be on par with any of the other Reverb/artist-X-is-unloading-a-history-of-gear announcements

#31 ·
https://reverb.com/shop/the-official-dave-mustaine-reverb-shop

So it's up, and there's actually quite a bit up for sale. He's selling an actually slightly worrying amount of Deans, as well as what has to be every Axe-FX he's ever owned. Towards the end it does get to the "cleaning out the garage" phase, with a lot of random, dumb shit for sale. A cymbal case? Really?

#37 ·
anyone whinging about there not being any jacksons etc, he sold off all of that years ago, round the time he had a nerve problem or something which stopped him playing and may have been code for "get rid of everyone in the band so it's all mine" kind of thing maybe. possibly.

I like dave mustaine. He's an arsehole that's written some of the best riffs known to man. I hope he sticks around, but I have a feeling this is a sell off to help with medical expenses. Either that or he knows he should get rid of all this stuff now whilst he's still alive to promote it.

He doesn't look very well at all.

#38 ·
I like dave mustaine. He's an arsehole that's written some of the best riffs known to man. I hope he sticks around, but I have a feeling this is a sell off to help with medical expenses. Either that or he knows he should get rid of all this stuff now whilst he's still alive to promote it.

He doesn't look very well at all.
I also hope he gets better. In all honesty though, it looks like he is just cleaning shit out of his garage for nonsensical reasons.

I mean, he's not exactly broke. Even if he's not top 1% in terms of US Net Worth, he's top 2%. He's not making Metallica amounts of money, sure, but even if he does have a bunch of expensive medical treatments piling up, cleaning $10k worth of shit he has in his garage isn't really going to make a difference. Cancer treatments can be expensive in the US, especially if you don't have insurance and aren't Medicare aged, but for all his bitching about the government and right wing nuttiness, I'm sure he has at least one good health insurance policy. He has a net worth well upwards of $10 million easy.

It's not like a Chuck Billy or Chuck Schuldiner "working class musician" situation where Dave Mustaine would really need the help of the metal community because his treatments are going to bankrupt his family.

There are definitely plenty of working class musicians of famous '80s metal bands who could realistically do benefit sales or benefit concerts or whatever if they arrived at a medical situation like that. But if you have Metallica levels of money, or even Dave Mustaine levels of money, which is still at least 10 times what the richest person on this forum has, it's kind of disingenuous to do the whole, "I'm doing this because I need help with my medical bills" thing. So I doubt it's for that. Which you know, is clearly why he's not saying that. Once again, I hope he gets better, but if he pulled the whole, "Buy my shitty gear that was gathering dust in my garage to help out with medical bills" thing it would be an eye roll. You wouldn't expect EVH to pull a "buy my shit to help me out with Medical bills" kind of thing. Dave Mustaine doesn't have EVH money levels of money, but the idea that he's not extremely well off is ridiculous.

Also, in terms of "80s Metal Musicians that aren't extremely well off", Metallica were going to release some early demos, which would have made Ron McGovney a substantial chunk of change, there's a guy who is probably not extremely well off and could use the money, Dave Mustaine blocked their release for "Dave Mustaine is an asshole" reasons. So it's hard to be sympathetic in terms of putting him in "80s Metal Musicians who could use financial help" category, considering the fact that not only is he extremely well off, he also has no problem screwing people who aren't as well off out of money for ego reasons.

#39 ·
Once, again, I hope the dude gets better and beats the cancer thing, and I don't wish any ill will on him, but Dave Mustaine is a rich dude who has run his music career in such a way where he has screwed a bunch of guys who actually could use money for things like medical treatments out of money for ego reasons.

I'm not exactly lining up to buy his $100 shitty old rack units because he "needs help".

It's like, "Remember that time Dave Mustaine did benefit sales or benefit concerts to help out raise some money for Chris Poland, because presumably he wasn't in a comfortable spot financially in terms of net worth and could use the help? Or that time he agreed to let Metallica release early demos so Ron McGovney could get in on some of that sweet '80s Metallica money?"

Funnily enough, I don't remember those times either.

#41 ·
Once, again, I hope the dude gets better and beats the cancer thing, and I don't wish any ill will on him, but Dave Mustaine is a rich dude who has run his music career in such a way where he has screwed a bunch of guys who actually could use money for things like medical treatments out of money for ego reasons.

I'm not exactly lining up to buy his $100 shitty old rack units because he "needs help".

It's like, "Remember that time Dave Mustaine did benefit sales or benefit concerts to help out raise some money for Chris Poland, because presumably he wasn't in a comfortable spot financially in terms of net worth and could use the help? Or that time he agreed to let Metallica release early demos so Ron McGovney could get in on some of that sweet '80s Metallica money?"

Funnily enough, I don't remember those times either.
You're just super pissed that you missed out on that power conditioner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.