Talk to me about humidity - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Talk to me about humidity

ME: Gibson SG
    Rig: Pedals -> Dark Terror

Like I mentioned in the OP, it's a Squier Jazzmaster, so satin maple neck and a rosewood board. I oil it every time I change strings, which is just a few times a year since I use Elixirs. I don't know for sure how dry it got in my house last winter, since I bought the humidity meter after I got a small humidifier, but it was dry enough that I was getting fret sprout and had to get the fret ends filed down. Now that that's fixed, I'm wondering if the guitar could handle the dryer air, but would rather not take any chances, because I can't afford to start accruing avoidable expenses right now.

I work at a college so it's a big building that gets super dry in the winter. Allegedly the air gets replaced like 10 times a day, which is why I'm not sure if this little gallon humidifier would make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by budda View Post
    Now I'm wondering what the humidity is in our house
    Canadian Tire, man. I got a little digital thermometer and humidity meter (I think it's from AccuTemp) for like $15. There's no guarantee they'll be accurate (despite the name), but it'll at least give you an idea of how much the humidity shifts between seasons. I leave ours out year-round and the house typically ran between 50-60% in the summer, so I'm thinking this one is actually fairly accurate.

I got a 4-gallon "whole home" humidifier off Amazon for the house earlier this season. I don't know how much it gets upstairs, but it keeps our main floor around 40-50%, depending on how close you are to it. This one lets you set a target humidity and it runs itself when it needs to. Right now I'd say it runs about 1/3-1/2 of the time around the clock, and is pumping 1.5-2 gallons of water into the air a day.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ibanez
    Rig: Mesa JP-2C

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    Of course you would have my grandfather's barometer or hygrometer or whatever it's called

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Of course you would have my grandfather's barometer or hygrometer or whatever it's called
    You mean you don't know? I'd tell you, but I'm going to wait for Garrett's three post answer, where he somehow gets from Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner to Egyptian wood carving.
    Noodles

So live for today,
    Tomorrow never comes.
    Die young, die young,
    Can't you see the writing in the air?
    Die young, gonna die young,
    Someone stopped the fair.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Gibson SG
    Rig: Pedals -> Dark Terror

Update: The humidifier I got literally did nothing. I even had the humidity meter sitting right beside it, and no change. It looks like that 20% was a worst-case scenario, and that's not overly common, so I'm just gonna take the chance for now. I'll keep an eye on it, and if I notice any fret ends starting to stick out I'll just take it home.

Anyway, set up shop yesterday. I know a bit of theory but have had trouble pinpointing a good starting point to learn more, so I'm just working on the free JustinGuitar program to make sure I've got all my bases covered. If I like this, I'll think about buying his paid theory course. So far it's been pretty painfully redundant (stuff like basic chords and strumming) but it looks like there's some good stuff later on in the free course, so I'm gonna make myself complete it before I look at anything paid.

Untitled by Phil Babbey, on Flickr