NGD another Jackson tale of woe (minus the wall of text)
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: NGD another Jackson tale of woe (minus the wall of text)

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

NGD another Jackson tale of woe (minus the wall of text)

Well, my Jackson rare unicorn showed up today with a head injury...

Here's the Reverb listing, and yes I'm crazy enough to buy a guitar from Russia.

https://reverb.com/item/29814405-gro...ck-short-scale

Jackson probably only made a handful of these just for the Japanese market. It's a bucket list item for me; a short-scale traditional Soloist (not an archtop). I didn't even know about this model until recently--I figured I'd have to wait until someone sold a custom shop guitar like this (if I lived that long).

Alas, this is what I found upon arrival.

NGD another Jackson tale of woe (minus the wall of text)-2019-12-07-11-50-02-jpgNGD another Jackson tale of woe (minus the wall of text)-2019-12-07-11-25-40-jpgNGD another Jackson tale of woe (minus the wall of text)-2019-12-07-11-25-08-jpg

In one of the photos, you can see Soloist Jr. next to my '85 Soloist, for comparison. I really love Soloist Jr. and already have it at Action Music for repair--it's a clean break and should come back together pretty easily. Hopefully the Russian guy doesn't try to skimp on the reimbursement.

These are so rare that I wouldn't even dream of shipping it back.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: 1 of 2
    MA: "Smokey"
    Rig: Peavey XXX

Damn, that's heartbreaking. Kinda curious to see the packaging it came in. Was there apparent damage, or was it just a total shocker when you opened the package?

Either way, this sucks, but hopefully it comes out of surgery just fine.

ME: EBMM(s)
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: Mark V / Axe-3 / Kemper

Well that guitar is awesome, and this story fucking sucks!

Hope the repair goes well man!

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

It was a shocker. The seller packed the guitar pretty well.

The problem was that he shipped it in an aftermarket strat case, which doesn't properly fit a guitar with an angled headstock. The tip of the headstock could clearly make contact with the bottom of the case, and there you go. You could probably carry it around locally with no problems, but not a good case for shipping.

The seller deals in quite a few Jacksons and other shredder guitars and has a pretty good reputation on Reverb, so I'm a bit surprised he shipped in this case--maybe it's what he got the guitar with and was just lucky when he bought it (presumably from Japan). A gigbag and huge amounts of bubble wrap probably would have been safer than this case for international shipping. For whatever reason, many expensive Japanese-market guitars are sold new with bags rather than cases, so this might have been a case the original Japanese owner got for it. Never have figured that one out.

Matt, the owner of Action Music, said it'd be a pretty simple repair since it's not like a Gibson-type neck snap. Couple of small dowels and some glue will do it. He said he should even be able to match the paint. His shop does good work. The funny thing is, my '85 came with a horrible-looking (but solid) headstock repair, so they really will be a matched set now. Jr. and Sr....

What's the repair estimate? I assume the binding around the headstock has that same yellowed patina that the fretboard has - can they match that too?

Man that sucks dude

It'll be a little over $200. Not unreasonable for what's being done.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonplayer View Post
    The seller deals in quite a few Jacksons and other shredder guitars and has a pretty good reputation on Reverb, so I'm a bit surprised he shipped in this case--maybe it's what he got the guitar with and was just lucky when he bought it (presumably from Japan). A gigbag and huge amounts of bubble wrap probably would have been safer than this case for international shipping. For whatever reason, many expensive Japanese-market guitars are sold new with bags rather than cases, so this might have been a case the original Japanese owner got for it. Never have figured that one out.
    The ad says this:

Comes with a tremolo arm, Dunlop Straplocks and an OHS with a key.
    Which I would have taken to mean an Original Hard Shell, not an unmatched Snap Your Headstock strat case. I'd be fucking pissed if I were you.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Which I would have taken to mean an Original Hard Shell, not an unmatched Snap Your Headstock strat case. I'd be fucking pissed if I were you.
    I could tell from the ad that it wasn't a Jackson case but couldn't tell how it would fit the guitar. I'm definitely not happy with the seller--but after having to fix Jackson's fuck-ups on that Monarkh, I'm oddly copacetic on this one. It'll get fixed and I'll have a killer guitar I'd be unlikely to find anywhere else in the near future.