2020 Ibanez models are in - Page 11
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Ibanez models are in

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    Martin D-28 Guitar | Standard Series | C.F. Martin & Co

I need to take pictures at some point, but suffice to say the fretboard and bridge on my guitar do NOT look like that. The bridge in particular is very heavily striped ebony; it looks like rosewood without the deep pores. If the fretboard is dyed, then it is a very light coat, since you can see the stripes in it, as opposed to my '78 Les Paul Custom. That fretboard looks like a chalkboard.
    I've heard people say Martin doesn't dye their ebony as heavily 3-4 times, but I've never seen it mentioned anyplace where it wasn't hearsay or conjecture.

I know some of the acoustic makers have idiosyncartic views on some woods.

Ebony does naturally have brown streaks like you say. I have an ebony wallet type thing from a woodworkers convention that has it clearly visible. My explorer has it faintly visible around the first fret. You can rarely see it on Jacksons though, although with time maybe the dye will wear off a bit more.

Historically luthiery shit is more restrictive than buying pen sized blanks or whatever, since not all woods grow in such a way that you can get the right sized blanks for the purpose you need them for easily. I think the history is it was originally dyed for consistency between ebony fretboard blanks, but in modern guitar making it's just dyed due to traditions and expectations.

I've seen one or two guitars with all ebony necks. Like not just the fretboard, the whole fucking neck. Those are gorgeous, but you don't see them often because obviously an all ebony neck is ungodly heavy.

It's definitely historically dyed on other instruments. The ebony you see used for shit like clarinets and bassoons has been dyed for a uniform black. I've never seen an undyed example on a violin or a cello either.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

Doesn't seem that "weird" anymore.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

Location: Ybor City, Tampa Bay, Florida, United States, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Dimension C-132
    ME: Ibanez RG9
    MA: Ibanez RA100
    MB: Ibanez BTB7E & BTB7F
    Rig: Fortin Nameless + NTS

@3:25

The Jems didn't get that added when the RGs did?

ME: Solar A1.6ET
    Rig: Kemper

He says "bevel" at 2:33

However I really like that it has a magnetic backcoverfor the springs!

That's something that more brands should be using. Both covers for springs and electornics in the back.

Ok a few days gone by and I'm starting to like this design

Maybe not "buy like", but at least "not bad to look at like"

Quote Originally Posted by Rocka_Rollas View Post
    However I really like that it has a magnetic backcoverfor the springs!

That's something that more brands should be using. Both covers for springs and electornics in the back.
    Yes and remove the stupid Truss Rod Cover all together as well.. serves absolutely no Purpose except to get in the way.