What would you do with this Strat? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What would you do with this Strat?

ME: Fender Telecasters
    MA: Emerald X20 Artisan
    MB: STR LS-648
    Rig: Mk IVa / Hartke HyDrive 2

Quote Originally Posted by BornToLooze View Post
    I've been on a Phil X kick, and was planning on putting a P94 in my first guitar. I'd never really thought P90 in a Strat. I think that idea just jumped to the front of the line.

I don't use the Floyd near as much as I thought I would, because I've been playing a Les Paul for 11 years. I don't know about 3 of them, but I'm now really thinking either 2 or just a bridge p90.
    I had a Tom Anderson Strat with 3 P90s in it, it was fine, but not really any better than that.

"Oh, those jazz guys are just making that stuff up!" - Homer J. Simpson

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

You didn't mention what you didn't like about the stock pickups. What would you change about them? Power? EQ?
    Writer/Artist with Seymour Duncan
    My Gear & Music Pages

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

It's a strat. SSS and just up the gain a little bit. Singlecoils are fun too. \m/
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Wolfgang
    MA: Grandpas guitarz
    MB: lol
    Rig: EVH

Have Matt make you a HS pick guard with 1 volume and a three way toggle, the Black Belt of rock/metal guitarists.... it is known.
    Vag Jackson, Man Of Action

ME: Gibson Les Paul
    Rig: Katana

Quote Originally Posted by Starless View Post
    You didn't mention what you didn't like about the stock pickups. What would you change about them? Power? EQ?
    I'm not sure what it is, they're just missing something.

And maybe I'm doing something wrong, but whenever I adjust the pickups to where I like how they sound, the volume between them is way off because the distances to the strings, and when I adjust them to even out the volume between them at least one pickup turns into mud. So right now I have it where I can just use the bridge and neck pickup, which defeats the point of having a Strat.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    It's a strat. SSS and just up the gain a little bit. Singlecoils are fun too. \m/
    I was thinking about some SD Quarter Pounders. Isn't that what Ritchie Blackmore uses?

ME: Gibson Flying V
    Rig: Marshall JVM

I have QPs in my Blackmore Strat & they do indeed sound pretty beefy, but not sure how they'd sound in that DM Strat.I've wrestled with changing them out several times & in the end it's like, why? They can do high gain/metal very easily & they have their own character so I just stick with 'em.Can be a bit noisy, depending on your rig, but we have ways around that.
    Blackmore never actually used SD QPs; they were Schecter's or something, but that's what Fender went with when they did his Sig..... he's now using some sort of rail PUPs, not sure what.I'd just put the JB Jr. in bridge & a Little '59 in the neck, at least try it....

ME: Gibson Les Paul
    Rig: Katana

Quote Originally Posted by Stitsel View Post
    Blackmore never actually used SD QPs; they were Schecter's or something, but that's what Fender went with when they did his Sig..... he's now using some sort of rail PUPs, not sure what.I'd just put the JB Jr. in bridge & a Little '59 in the neck, at least try it....
    I thought about that after I posted. The Blackmore I listen to was probably just stock pickups, just like everybody else in the 70s.

But that's my problem. I want to change the pickups, but depending on what I'm listening to changes what I want to put in it. I listen to something more modern and I want to put some humbuckers in it, but then the next day I'll listen to some Hendrix or Steve Gaines, and I'll want some more traditional sounding Strat pickups.

But I think I might actually have a Little '59 somewhere, I'll have to find it and try that out.